ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Oz and Kiwi Land
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2011, 03:58 AM   #1
racca OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
How much on an 8Gig sd card?

Hey guys

Got a 60csx on the way, I got an 8Gigsd card as well. will that be big enough to store full set of shonky, T4A and some local OSM maps or am I dreaming?

Cheers

Mark
racca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:04 AM   #2
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,292
More than enough. Shonky is around 350Mb from memory, T4A is two thirds of f*ck-all, it will fit no worries.
The current 60CSx will take mapsets (.img file) up to 2Gb in size, but still has the 2025 map tile limitation.

The 60 is rated for 4Gb, but folks reckon the 8Gb will also work fine, but none of them ever crossed the 4Gb of data barrier.
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 05:16 PM   #3
racca OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla View Post
More than enough. Shonky is around 350Mb from memory, T4A is two thirds of f*ck-all, it will fit no worries.
The current 60CSx will take mapsets (.img file) up to 2Gb in size, but still has the 2025 map tile limitation.

The 60 is rated for 4Gb, but folks reckon the 8Gb will also work fine, but none of them ever crossed the 4Gb of data barrier.

Sweet! Thanks mate! Got my shonky on last night, T4A I'll look at tonight, then a couple of OSM's and I'll be a happy camper! Thanks again.
racca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:51 PM   #4
AdventchaSam
n00b

Oddometer: 7
What's "Shonky" and "OSM"? I assume T4A is Tracks4Australia? I've got that one, but where can I get the other two? New to this whole GPS thing and need to find some tracks that are good for riding, thanks.
AdventchaSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:27 PM   #5
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,292
"Shonky" is shonkymaps, a Garmin-specific mapset of the whole of Australia with topo, produced by a bloke for nix, nothing, nada, using the Geoscience Australia/Auslig 1:250:000 raster maps.

Shonkymaps is probably sufficient for most purposes, towns are shown as marked, but no streets or town roads, so no autorouting either, but it has loads of tracks and trails, mostly gazzeted.

It is a free download, a google search will find it, be warned though the download source is dog s-l-o-w, so be patient (mine took overnight, 3 tries) because it is well worth the trouble.

OSM? (off-the-shelf mapping? owner/operator supplied maps?))
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:27 PM   #6
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla View Post
OSM? (off-the-shelf mapping? owner/operator supplied maps?))
Open Street Map. An initiative to create a freely available map of the entire world, free to download, free to use for anything you want.

With regard to Australia, they've imported all the government data, and had data donated from various universities, and there's a huge team of volunteers (like me) who go out and record tracks with their GPS, upload them to the website, tag 'em with the right data (name, highway, suburban street, firetrail, etc), it also has points of interest (petrol, accommodation, etc) and things like national park boundaries. Topo is also available, via it's sister site Open Cycle Map. Anyone can contribute map data, you just have to sign up with your name/email address and accept the terms/conditions (a bunch of fine print to make sure everything is done properly with regard to copyright law).

I believe there are tools to convert OSM data into the right format for all the major GPS devices. It's also very popular on smartphone GPS solutions.

You can access the data either as rendered tile images (like google maps) or grab the direct data itself... which is updated every few minutes and is many terabytes if you grab the entire thing. You can download any piece of the map you want. Australia is a few hundred megs when compressed as a zip file. Just my home town was only a few KB.

abhibeckert screwed with this post 08-03-2011 at 12:33 PM
abhibeckert is offline   Reply With Quote