ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > British Beasts: Triumph Tigers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2011, 11:24 AM   #7636
ButtonPushingMonkey
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Denver
Oddometer: 44
Good lord. I just checked what my insurance jumped to for 1 year with the 800xc. I find it crazy that for identical coverages with progressive my drz bb stroker was 90bux, a f800gs was 369bux and for the 800xc it was 993bux. Anyone find a place that correctly classifies this bike and gives reasonable rates more in line with the f800gs? The only quote I have pulled from another company is geico which came out to 400...it is weird cause progressive has always been cheaper for me on every bike I have owned

ButtonPushingMonkey screwed with this post 08-03-2011 at 11:36 AM
ButtonPushingMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:41 PM   #7637
CA Stu
Thanks
 
CA Stu's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Riverside, CA
Oddometer: 47,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtonPushingMonkey View Post
Good lord. I just checked what my insurance jumped to for 1 year with the 800xc. I find it crazy that for identical coverages with progressive my drz bb stroker was 90bux, a f800gs was 369bux and for the 800xc it was 993bux. Anyone find a place that correctly classifies this bike and gives reasonable rates more in line with the f800gs? The only quote I have pulled from another company is geico which came out to 400...it is weird cause progressive has always been cheaper for me on every bike I have owned
I checked with my agent, was quoted $966 through Progressive.
She did find Pacific Specialty for $589...

I'm guessing since the model is so new, insurance companies are pricing the policies extremely high until they find out what repair costs are like on the 800/XCs....
__________________
http://youtu.be/C6cxNR9ML8k
CA Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:05 PM   #7638
spewler
Not (w)reckless
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Vail, AZ
Oddometer: 108
$900+ is outrageous...I have Progressive too and my annual bill is less than $400. Granted, I'm almost 50, but your rate shouldn't be almost $1k unless you're 25 or younger.
__________________
2011 Triumph Tiger 800 XC (25,000 miles)
2001 Aprilia Futura (127,000+ miles)
spewler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:07 PM   #7639
bross
Where we riding to?
 
bross's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Osoyoos, BC
Oddometer: 4,626
They're just factoring in the cost of new frames due to the welded on rear footpegs. Maybe somebody from Progressive was following this thread and thought he'd be a hero... "Hey boss, that new Tiger 800 has welded on footpegs, we're gonna have to replace the frame even in a simple tipover, we better raise rates to cover them."

Before anyone freaks out, j/k I could care less about the footpeg hangers.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:12 PM   #7640
tedesco886
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: East Bay area
Oddometer: 46
Regarding the stalling problem. Everyone who seems to have it has had their "500mi" service and has a stock exhaust....Is there anyone here who does not fit those criteria?
tedesco886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:20 PM   #7641
when the road bends
hello
 
when the road bends's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 464
while we are talking money, I'd like to transfer my loan away from the dealer's financier, which gave me a 10% loan. Anyone have a lender to recommend checking out? Thanks
__________________

Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.
when the road bends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:28 PM   #7642
Evomx971
Wave as you fly over
 
Evomx971's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Iowa
Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtonPushingMonkey View Post
Good lord. I just checked what my insurance jumped to for 1 year with the 800xc. I find it crazy that for identical coverages with progressive my drz bb stroker was 90bux, a f800gs was 369bux and for the 800xc it was 993bux. Anyone find a place that correctly classifies this bike and gives reasonable rates more in line with the f800gs? The only quote I have pulled from another company is geico which came out to 400...it is weird cause progressive has always been cheaper for me on every bike I have owned

I have everything (house, cars, bikes) with State Farm so get some pretty good discounts. I do know that the annual premium for my 2011 800XC was exactly the same as the 2002 Suzuki 1200 Bandit that it replaced. That was weird when they told me that, but hell if I was going to complain. I'm 39 with a pretty clean record. State Farm goes by engine size and year more than anything else so I can see how a 2011 800cc could end up very similar to a 2002 1200cc. I don't have my statement here, but I know it's less than $400 a year and I think it was like $335 or similar. Again, I get some pretty big discounts for having everything through them. That's for full coverage... I think a $100 ded on Comp and $500 ded on Collision.
__________________
"In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." ~ A. Lincoln
'11 Triumph 800XC ABS / '94 Honda XR650L / '06 Yamaha YZ125
Thanks to my 2015 Sponsor: Motorex
What Next Wander Tour http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853663
Evomx971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:41 PM   #7643
bross
Where we riding to?
 
bross's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Osoyoos, BC
Oddometer: 4,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evomx971 View Post
I have everything (house, cars, bikes) with State Farm so get some pretty good discounts. I do know that the annual premium for my 2011 800XC was exactly the same as the 2002 Suzuki 1200 Bandit that it replaced. That was weird when they told me that, but hell if I was going to complain. I'm 39 with a pretty clean record. State Farm goes by engine size and year more than anything else so I can see how a 2011 800cc could end up very similar to a 2002 1200cc. I don't have my statement here, but I know it's less than $400 a year and I think it was like $335 or similar. Again, I get some pretty big discounts for having everything through them. That's for full coverage... I think a $100 ded on Comp and $500 ded on Collision.
Jeez you guys have some cheap insurance, I can only dream about rates like that. Like so many things in Canada, we get screwed when compared to the US. I pay over $600 for 6 months of liability only on my CBF1000. They use the displacement rating system here as well so Jodie's DR200 is cheaper, it's only $400 for 6 months. No way can we afford full coverage on the bikes, I did the math and we can have a total loss every 3-4 years and still be ahead by "self" insuring. And I have their 20 year clean driving road scholar rate. Can't imagine what a 20 year old would pay. God bless gov't insurance.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:46 PM   #7644
jimjim
Just another FF!
 
jimjim's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: oHIo
Oddometer: 1,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtonPushingMonkey View Post
Good lord. I just checked what my insurance jumped to for 1 year with the 800xc. I find it crazy that for identical coverages with progressive my drz bb stroker was 90bux, a f800gs was 369bux and for the 800xc it was 993bux. Anyone find a place that correctly classifies this bike and gives reasonable rates more in line with the f800gs? The only quote I have pulled from another company is geico which came out to 400...it is weird cause progressive has always been cheaper for me on every bike I have owned
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu View Post
I checked with my agent, was quoted $966 through Progressive.
She did find Pacific Specialty for $589...

I'm guessing since the model is so new, insurance companies are pricing the policies extremely high until they find out what repair costs are like on the 800/XCs....
My 3 bikes, an '02 Gold Wing, '09 Versys and '12 Tiger 800 are insured through Progressive at a cost of $531/year for full coverage.
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:49 PM   #7645
MJNygs
El Duderino
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedesco886 View Post
Regarding the stalling problem. Everyone who seems to have it has had their "500mi" service and has a stock exhaust....Is there anyone here who does not fit those criteria?
Had my stalling issues start the same day that I drove away with the bike. I do have the stock exhaust, but from my own experience and reading about others with the same issues - I dont think that they ALL start after the 500mi service.

MJNygs screwed with this post 08-03-2011 at 02:22 PM
MJNygs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:31 PM   #7646
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 22,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedesco886 View Post
Regarding the stalling problem. Everyone who seems to have it has had their "500mi" service and has a stock exhaust....Is there anyone here who does not fit those criteria?
Me. 500 mile service done 2 weeks ago, no stalling issue. I will say I do notice a little off-idle bog down since but that could well be my imagination.

Either way, no stalling since the service. No idea if they updated the tune or not....interestingly they didn't reset the maint indicator so I took that to mean they DID not update the tune.
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:42 PM   #7647
ButtonPushingMonkey
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Denver
Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by spewler View Post
$900+ is outrageous...I have Progressive too and my annual bill is less than $400. Granted, I'm almost 50, but your rate shouldn't be almost $1k unless you're 25 or younger.
I could understand the price difference if i was a young buck, the f800gs must be in a different class or something from the 800xc. Same cc's, same driver twice the cost. Ah well looks like i'll be insurance shopping

On the loan rate...I was offered 7.9% from the dealer but my local cu came in and loaned me the money for 5%
ButtonPushingMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:55 PM   #7648
fbj913
I ride
 
fbj913's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: KC MO
Oddometer: 2,365
are you guys talking for 6 months or 12?
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:15 PM   #7649
Shep
Vagabond
 
Shep's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: The State of Indecision
Oddometer: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedesco886 View Post
Regarding the stalling problem. Everyone who seems to have it has had their "500mi" service and has a stock exhaust....Is there anyone here who does not fit those criteria?
Just took delivery of my Tiger a couple days ago. I have 450 miles on it right now. Should hit 600 tomorrow. No stalling yet. I did have the Arrows installed today. Nice, deep, throaty sound, just like my Street Triple. The very first Tiger I demoed stalled at least 6 times within two miles of downtown stop and go. I was so frustrated with it that I took it right back to the shop and did not even give one a second look. Then I took a trip on my 1200GS and was reminded again that it was really not the bike for me, so I headed back to a different shop, gave another Tiger a demo and loved it. So far, I'm very happy with the decision and I'm crossing my fingers it does not become a staller. For what its worth, the shop my bike came from says they have not had a single stalling bike yet, although I don't know how many they have sold.

Shep
__________________
Looking for the Road Less Traveled...and a 690 Duke.
http://motorheadcoffee.wordpress.com/
Shep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:51 PM   #7650
Porky
Don't Pass Gas
 
Porky's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Colorado
Oddometer: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post
You shouldn't have to buy a solution. Triumph will soon solve the problem and all will be well in tiger land.

Regards, Paul


Tell that to the EPA which mandates that engines run very lean.

Devices like the Power Comander fix the lean condition.
__________________
'08 Suzuki DR650
'15 Yamaha FZ 07

No fat chicks, fender will scrape.
Porky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015