Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2011, 09:15 PM   #7741
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
Much better mounting/bracket system for the OEM panniers. Other than that as I have said before a info button for dash with easy on and off ABS. Near perfect bike in most aspects and if they give it more ground clearance might alienate the more vertically challenge. The way the XC and seat adjustments are presently makes this bike good for even a shorty like me at 5'41/2".

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed they need to redesign the OEM pannier mounting system!!
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:18 PM   #7742
panorton
Charming as F**k

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
What rpm's did you cruise at?

I stand by my statement. You likely short shift the bike and cruise at too low of an rpm. If I am wrong on this by all means correct me. To snip back with the: "... taken your bike out of the driveway" Makes me think I am right even more than before. So you rode to Alaska... Great! Thanks for the pictures... Hope you had fun.

No, I have not "rode" one... But YES I have ridden one... and like many others I did not experience a stalling issue. I am not saying it doesn't happen... I am saying that not running the engine the way it is designed to be run might indeed be behind the fuel mapping glitch.

i think you need to read more carefully. i can ride the shit out of my xc, but it stalls coming off idle. should i idle more aggressively?
Old 08-04-2011, 09:30 PM   #7743
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,539

This subject intrests me greatly as I will be soon be selling them.

panorton: Any ideas what is behind the stalls coming off idle? Do you feal it is a mapping issue?
Old 08-04-2011, 10:10 PM   #7744
Vzuke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
I thought I would chime in to my 800 Tiger experience.

I picked up my bike in May and have about about 3000 miles on it now. On the day I went to pick it up the salesman suggested riding it around the back lot just to check it out. The first thing that I noticed, as someone else mentioned here, was an “off idle bog”. While you could power through that spot it just didn’t feel right to me. I asked that one of the mechanics take it for a ride to see what he thought. Apparently it didn’t feel right to him because he pulled it back into the shop.

The Techs and sales people that I talked to seemed genuinely surprised that the bike was having a problem. Typically the Triumphs were always set up properly.

I got a little annoyed by one of the other technicians when he implied that I wasn’t working the clutch properly. I guess that could be true if I was new to motorcycles but I have ridden enough bikes over the past 30 years to know how to modulate a clutch. But I just let it slide.

The salesman was pretty nice, he took me back into the show room and we preceded to swap motorcycle stories. Of course that can only last so long. After about an hour we went back down to check on the bike. And there was my new motorcycle all apart and hooked up to the life support. We went back up stairs and I wandered around every square inch of the dealership looking at bikes, parts, accessories. I guess it was another 1/2 hour when we got the call it was ready.

The next test ride was much better. They had tweaked the settings on the throttle bodies/ECM/TPS (sorry no details). I was just glad that they got it sorted out. I haven’t had any issues with the bike since.

The dealership had a great deal on Triumph parts on the day of purchase so I went ahead and ordered the Arrow pipe. Once that came in I installed it myself and rode around until it was time for the 600 mile “check up”. At that point they remapped the ECM for the Arrow and I would swear the the engine actually ran smoother after the remap. I don’t know if that is possible but that’s what it felt like.

I have noticed that the bike does get a little warm on the thighs though. You definitely don’t “hug” it when the temps are in the upper 90’s. And more heat comes out on the right side. I think the majority of the heat come out of those holes in the plastic and the reason the right is hotter is because the overflow tank is on that side (just a theory). I think I’ll experiment with blocking off those holes.

I’ve never had a problem with the bike over heating. It seems to go to that 5th bar on the heat meter and stay there. Even when I have been riding in traffic on triple digit days. One thing I noticed about the temperature gauge was how sensitive it is. After sitting outside during my work day I would come out and switch on the ignition and I would have 2 bars just from the ambient temperature.

I hope every one that has been having problems do get their bikes sorted out. It is a blast too ride. Can you say SMOOOOOOOOOTH? I knew you could.
Vzuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:13 PM   #7745
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,437
Quote:
I would almost bet money that any and all who are having stalling issues are not riding the bike as it should be ridden... Meaning they are running at too low of an RPM. Shift down a gear or two and ride the damn things... Problem solved.
You are so right that Triumph's fix is not in the software or anything else. They are just editing the owner's manual.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:01 PM   #7746
The Heathen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Maybe....

I'm really interested in the 800xc. I've tried searching online for others having problems with the bike but haven't been able to find anything. So, I'm guessing it's a very small number bikes that are having trouble, or....maybe it has something to do with this forum...the only people having problems with their bikes are on this forum...Quit posting and reading and see what happens. kidding of course

Dakez..are you going to be a dealer or a salesman at a dealership? I'm self employed, therefore I'm a salesman of sorts. I have two rules. 1. never show up to meet with the customer in an expensive car (not that there's anything wrong with really nice cars) 2. never stir up contention with customers or potential customers. Just sayin'

Best of luck to y'all..
The Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:27 AM   #7747
tedesco886
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
and to everyone talking about it, I GUARANTEE the heat coming from the right side is from the cat....which might be a nice touch in the winter:oP
tedesco886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:16 AM   #7748
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedesco886 View Post
and to everyone talking about it, I GUARANTEE the heat coming from the right side is from the cat....which might be a nice touch in the winter:oP
Actually what I think everyone is feeling is heat from the radiator being blown, by the fan, across the top of the cylinder head and it comes out of the first gap in the bikes design which is by your knees.
Blocking off those gaps will, no doubt, send the hot air somewhere else. But where is the next question. Could then be getting roasted gonads.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:42 AM   #7749
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,283
Quote:

panorton: Any ideas what is behind the stalls coming off idle? Do you feal it is a mapping issue?

Your going to sell bikes and you believe crazy things like how its the riders fault???! Where will this dealership be located. I will be sure to never stop by.
Your have no idea what your talking about.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:42 AM   #7750
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
You are so right that Triumph's fix is not in the software or anything else. They are just editing the owner's manual.

HUH?
Old 08-05-2011, 04:48 AM   #7751
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I thought it was BMW who consistently tell owners "you are not riding the bike properly!!!" The old "Blame The Owner" method!

As unpopular as you opinion about "riding hard" is here ... I tend to agree with you. I've owned four or five F.I. bikes ... and nearly ALL had stalling probs when brand new. Riding them hard always helped or eliminated the problem within about 1000 miles.

In any case, it is pointless to dive in and make a bunch of changes to Tunes, TPS, or TB settings before the bike is FULLY broken in. During break in, everything is constantly changing. Once stable, that is the time to go through and carefully re-set all parameters, install the best Tune and sync TB's and reset TPS.

When I have ridden the XC I felt it was happiest between about 5K RPM and 8K RPM. Sweet spot ... with the occasional bump off the rev limiter.
Here's hoping a solution will present itself .... and soon.

Mine has 3000 miles and has been stalling since 800 miles. Is that broke in yet? Let me answer that for you. I dont want any room for confusion. The answer is Yes! Some are having the problem at 8000 + miles. The bike doesnt die while driving down the road. It doesnt matter where the bike is "happy", or where the "sweet" spot is! The bike dies at idle! I will repeat. AT IDLE!
Old 08-05-2011, 05:12 AM   #7752
fbj913
I ride

For those of you that say there is not a large percentage of the New Tigers that dont have the stall issue... How are you getting your facts? Are you saying that not a lot are reported on here? You cant base your numbers from a website forum. I think someone a ways back spelled this out perfect. The percentage of people that are a member of the forum versus the amount of people subscribed and so on... Not to mention the number of people who own a New Tiger and arent even members of ADV Rider. Not saying it is, or isnt a large percentage but you dont have enough facts to know this is true...
Old 08-05-2011, 06:12 AM   #7753
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by panorton View Post
i think you need to read more carefully. i can ride the shit out of my xc, but it stalls coming off idle. should i idle more aggressively?
First day I had my bike, I stalled it a dozen or so times off-idle. Since I learned to give it a little more gas, slipping the clutch a little more, I've stalled it prob 3 times.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:27 AM   #7754
panorton
Charming as F**k

Oddometer: 472
Quote:

My issue is fairly easy to ride around. i just need to take the engine gently above idle before setting off. I honestly couldn't guess whether it is mechanical in nature or software. I've read a few theories that seem possible. I'm taking a wait and see approach as it is still a fun bike to ride and don't want it sitting in the shop.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:36 AM   #7755
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by panorton View Post
My issue is fairly easy to ride around. i just need to take the engine gently above idle before setting off. I honestly couldn't guess whether it is mechanical in nature or software. I've read a few theories that seem possible. I'm taking a wait and see approach as it is still a fun bike to ride and don't want it sitting in the shop.
Exactly what I do. I also have a habit of blipping the throttle before I set off and the Tigger doesn't like that either so I force myself to stop doing it. I rode a KTM 690SM last night....you think the Tigger's throttle is jerky

Clearly, some bikes have some issues but I also think that people need to adapt to the bike more - I don't ride this the bike the same way I do, say, my Speed Triple, they are different bikes and so have to be driven slightly differently.

I really really hope everyone gets their bikes sorted out to their satisfaction very soon....
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote