Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2011, 05:04 AM   #31
supervision
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Thanks for the report, beautiful engine, These bikes are truly cool, I had the lucky experience to tag along with you guys on the Race, starting in Maraposa, Ca. I had no idea how fast those things would be ridden! I hung out in Coulterville, road down to La Grange, over to Catheys Valley, and out to Ramond, before doubling back. What a lucky guy I am, those bike are history, and I don't think I will ever forget that day!
supervision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:16 PM   #32
nsu max
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
nsu max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:23 PM   #33
kallehof OP
kalle

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideDualSport.com View Post

I do have a 1953 Chief, CS61082, under way.

Love the body filler detail on the chain guard. I spent lots of time on my 48 chain guard fitting it up to the rear fender. I had to weld on extra sheet metal and then cut it down to the correct match. There seemed to be no end to how much work it was going to take. At some I just called it a day. The gap on bottom was about 1/16 wider than the top when I stopped. For a while I looked at that gap on every skirted chief I found and mentally compared it to my bike. Looks like you've spent some time with the same detail. Looks good.

Kalle
San Francisco, CA
kallehof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:55 PM   #34
kallehof OP
kalle

Heat and Beat

On my first Indian I learned a few lessons. One was to check all the threads. If they are warn it is really easy
to repair them when the frame is stripped. Put a bolt in the threads and run it down and torque it down. Better to have the threads give way sooner than later. I've now have a good selection of heli-coil thread repair kits. On my Chief most threads in steal are fine threads and most threads that are in aluminum are course. 1/4-20 and 1/4-28 are very common bolt and thread sizes. Interestingly enough some threads are 1/4-24 on my 48 chief. This is for the front brake cable adjustment. I've asked around and have come to the conclusion that 1/4-24 was a common pre SAE thread. Fortunately there are few none standard SAE threads on my chiefs. This means a simple drive down to the hardware store is all it takes. And I was able to find a 1/4-24 thread repair kit on Ebay.

A chiefs kicker rides on a post that is pressed into the frame. I've seen frames with a broken frame casting. It's a real hassle to get this type of failure repaired well and straight. On a 48 chief the space between the frame and kicker leaves very little tolerance for a worn kicker or post when the exhaust is threaded between them. And not understanding this I neglected to replace the post on my first Chief. So on my 37 I took to heating the frame casting and beating out post out. Really not much drama here. The post has a .001" interference fit. And my my case slid right out, The new one went in as easy. But if you wait until the frame is finished this repair can be quit disturbing to the paint.

Another interesting note on Indian Frames is that the case sections are brazed to the tubes. It's my under standing that the frames and tubes were assembled and heated in an oven. Then removed after heated and brazed. The brazing material is quite apparent on he center tube and bottom casing.

Next Posting: Nuts and Bolts.

Kalle
San Francisco, CA

kallehof screwed with this post 08-05-2011 at 12:15 AM
Old 08-05-2011, 01:35 AM   #35
arcticIndian
indian rider

Oddometer: 239
Cool project, and thx for posting the restoration story for us!

I still dream of a late '30s chief, but I need to focus on the house restoration and build a proper garage first:)
And the late '30s chiefs are priced quite high here in Europe.
The late '30s chiefs are definitely the "sport" chiefs. I've ridden at least 6 different rigid chiefs from '37-'39, and they are soooo much fun to ride! I like the reinforced steering head and the wheel/hub design from '37 and up...

When I was in SF in february I saw a picture from the 50th(?) anniversary of the Golden Gate featuring Hap Jones on a '37 chief I believe, and RedFred and Rick(?) from SF on '37 chiefs as well. Hope you will get the bike done in time, judging from the pictures the bike will look fabulous when done!!

Borrowed these bikes when I was in Florida/ California in february, you may have seen them before..:

1938 chief with 84" and OD transmission, rode up to Alices and 35 (?) to the coast and then up to Pacifica and back to SF

One of Francis Cliffords builds, this one is fast!!! Too bad Florida is so flat..would be fun to ride this in the mountains:

I ended up with a '47 chief chassis "by coincidence" a couple years ago, and I'm trying to piece that together now. Since I have a '44 chief I already have a pile of spare parts that I can use for the '47. I will try to get a late '30s chief later, I can wait until there are more bikes available..

the '47 project:
The "Chief bluesmoke" do Iceland :
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263338&highlight=bluesmoke
arcticIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:58 AM   #36
jake28
Riding to the horizon.

Oddometer: 391
Subscribed to a great thread. I'll be back home in SF in September and would love to see this in person.

jake28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:02 AM   #37
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,961
The more pictures of Indians, the happier I am
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:30 PM   #38
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way

Oddometer: 1,440
kallehof, thanks for the kind remarks on my work
It can be rather difficult to fit up the bodywork. I believe there were some slight discrepancies from the factory since they hand fitted the fenders and drilled the holes by hand. The end goal is to get the pieces to fit together well and look good.
I will be keeping the 80cu inch motor and transmission stock and original. However I am thinking of using a 12volt generator and modern carburetor. Mainly because, I want to wear an electric vest, run a gps, and have better lights. Keep up the good work! I know it takes lots of dedication to keep a project moving!
Cheers!
Alaska Deep Adventure
RideDualSport.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:10 PM   #39
supervision
Gnarly Adventurer

On my ride day of tag along, one of the first persons I talked with, was the "Super Chief" owner, what a modern mix of speed machine that bike was! Another guy I talked to was from Austraila I think, he kept saying how nice the roads, and turns were, butt was disappointed with how few and far the Tavern's are!! Some people pull up on modern Harley's and started taking pictures of his bike, he said make it a movie, and took off feet up and sideways in the gravel! Dusted everybody! I knew there war two bars right their in Ramond, butt I also had about 100 mile ride home, so off I went, still see bikes for miles!
Old 08-06-2011, 01:04 AM   #40
sidetrack one
Boss STAG

Oddometer: 4,765
Attached Images

sidetrack one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:14 AM   #41
kallehof OP
kalle

Quote:
Originally Posted by supervision View Post
On my ride day of tag along, one of the first persons I talked with, was the "Super Chief" owner, what a modern mix of speed machine that bike was!

That Santa Fe Super Chief paint job is fittingly, the extreme ride of Jim Mosher. Notice the hand clutch, foot shift. The exhaust note is awesome.

Jim is from Santa Fe, hence the train paint job.

Kalle
San Francisco, Ca
Old 08-06-2011, 04:44 AM   #42
supervision
Gnarly Adventurer

Oh thank's I never picked up the connection, now I get it! Yea, the motor sounded like a total hot rod. He had made a connector rocker arm to equalize cable pull on the double sided front brake, something I've never seen done before. Thank's for the picture.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:50 PM   #43
kallehof OP
kalle

Nuts and Bolts

Most of the nuts and bolts on my chief have been standard sizes. 1/4-20, 1/4-28, 5/16-24, 3/8-24. Course threads for aluminum and fine threads for steel. There are a few a special nuts and bolts but for the most part you could go down to the hardware store and source most. For a rider that works. For a custom bike that may be okay too. But my 37 Chief is meant to be be like it was in 1937. In 1937 they didn't mark the heads with the hardness of the bolt. You can buy bolts with no marking but they tend to be the softest. I've talk to a few restorers who have filed or machined the heads flat. The course I've taken on both my 1948 and 1937 projects was to but a "Bolt Kit" from Ed Glasgow of Tully New York. http://www.edsindianbolts.com/

I've never met Ed in person but from doing business with him I can tell you that he's got to be one of the nicest and helpful guys around. He has build sheets detailing what bolts are needed where and he sells complete kits for Indians. His bolts look the part and stand up.

The tapered washers are for the head bolts and I got them from Greer Ed may have them but I neglected to ask. I did note the lock washers I got from Ed where knurled on the edges and I'm not sure if they would have been the case of a lock washer in 1937. It's a small detail but getting bottom if that one will may make for some interesting research. Next Posting: Brakes

Kalle
San Francisco, CA
Old 08-10-2011, 11:05 PM   #44
kallehof OP
kalle

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticIndian View Post
Borrowed these bikes when I was in Florida/ California in february, you may have seen them before..:

1938 chief with 84" and OD transmission, rode up to Alices and 35 (?) to the coast and then up to Pacifica and back to SF

Yep I've seen the orange and maroon 1938 chief. Owned by the same Indian Guru and all around nice guy that sold me my 48 chief project. Red Fred got me into Indians. Sorry I missed you when you were visiting. Fred invited me along on the ride but I wasn't able to make it. I'm glad you had a good time.

Alice's is a very popular place to stop around here. As you found out the roads are glorious and it's just in our back yard. This is a shot from a few years ago when Red Fred arranged a photo shoot of five chiefs owned by Bill Huth, Red Fred, and myself for the Alice's Calendar.

Kalle
San Francisco, CA
Old 08-11-2011, 04:23 AM   #45
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way

Oddometer: 1,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallehof;16601579
[IMG
http://kalle.com/images/37chief/DSCN8216.JPG[/IMG]
Yummm... this hardware is definitely the way to go. The devil is in the details, and when you go through so much effort and expense to put restore an Indian it make sense to use authentic looking hardware. The only time I ground the markings off the heads was when I did my 24 Chief and needed hardware nickle plated. And that was a long time ago when there were not an good sources for bolts.

Got it when I was 18 years old in 1979

Riding the Bone Head Enduro for old bike on logging roads.

Alaska Deep Adventure
RideDualSport.com is offline   Reply With Quote