User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2011, 02:59 PM   #7786
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 423
charcoal canister removal

For anybody thinking of removing the canister, here is how the F800GS guys did it

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500968
Old 08-05-2011, 03:52 PM   #7787
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtonPushingMonkey View Post
Not having the stalling issue right now I can tell you what I would try as a workaround until the fix was brought out by triumph...I would get the bike nice and hot, then adjust the throttle slack such that it had just enough tension to raise the rpm by 100 or so. Then I would ride it and see if that kept it from stalling if so, great if not I would up it again. That would at least allow me to not always have the "is it gonna stall?" sitting in my head every time I came to a stop while I waited for triumph to provide an update.

Basically the thought behind this is to put in just enough input to the tps to prevent the ecu from falling into the the bad idle mode. This is distinctly different than upping the ecu default idle speed...
My thoughts on that is that you could make the situation worse because if it's the TPS that's at fault, as I suspect, every time you turn the key, your new cable position would be "zero" for the TPS. IMO it's the TPS zero position that's too low which is forcing the tickover lower than it should be and the engine then stalls.

What I'd like someone to do (because I don't have the problem) is :-
1) Before turning the key, twist the throttle and let it go so that it snaps back hard against its stop.
2) Turn the key and let everything prime up.
3) Press the starter button with your index finger. To make sure you're not accidentally twisting the throttle slightly when starting the engine.
4) See if you still have the stalling problem.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:18 PM   #7788
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
Twisted Throttle farkle video

Twisted Throttle released a video with all the recommended farkles they sell for the Tiger

.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0-W2EejDlc
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:56 PM   #7789
Midpack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Jesse Luggage

A couple of 9" charcoal bags on the XC. They tuck in nicely, are solid, and don't feel like they cause much drag. Al has a tail rack ready and a shorter in height top box, but I didn't op for them. I was hoping he would of done a rack that eliminated the passenger seat so you can situate a top box over the side cases or strap bags/packs/tents to. The right bag comes in another inch if you run an aftermarket pipe.

Midpack screwed with this post 02-14-2012 at 03:37 AM
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:58 PM   #7790
Midpack
Gnarly Adventurer

Jesse Bags pic 2

Be patient.
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2011, 08:04 PM   #7791
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
A couple of 9" charcoal bags on the XC.
Is it just the photo or are they really hanging down? Looks like the Jesse boxes often look on a GS after a drop ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:07 PM   #7792
Midpack
Gnarly Adventurer

Jesse bags pic 3

Hope this helps any of you considering hard bags for you Tiger. I really like the rounded edges.
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2011, 08:17 PM   #7793
Midpack
Gnarly Adventurer

Jesse bags

You replied before I got the 3rd pic up. I went out just now and measured, front to back the bags cant down about 4". I loosen the quick release to see I could angle the case up, but couldn't. Then again the bike isn't loaded. I looked over at my ST2 Ducati and its bags are at the same angle. I don't have any problems with them. I also didn't have the quick release cinched up all the way, to much of a hurry before it got dark...
Old 08-05-2011, 08:23 PM   #7794
cug
--

I don't have a problem with it either, was just curious whether it was the photo or reality. I have seen that quite often with Jesse cases. Personally I don't like the look when the seem to be "hanging", but so what?

Don't have that problem on my GS though with the Micatechs:

It would be so awesome if Micatech could adopt their Pilot mount for the Tiger. But I doubt they will.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:37 PM   #7795
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
I like the look of the Hepco and Beck cases.
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:02 PM   #7796
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,278
We have Jesse luggage on both Tigers and our Beemers. Reason? No drag at high speeds, close fitting to the bikes, top loading we prefer, waterproof no doubt there and top quality. No powdercoating rubbing on your items inside the panniers, and we use the top box for commuting and trips like the one we are on. The top box, 45L fits one full face helmet too.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:09 PM   #7797
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
You replied before I got the 3rd pic up. I went out just now and measured, front to back the bags cant down about 4".
It's interesting. I like your's definitely better than the Odyssey cases. I considered the Safaris for my GS, but in the end went with the Micatechs because they are narrower and the customer support experience was just worlds apart. Non-existent from Al Jesse, okay from Rick (?) at xplorermoto.com, but absolutely outstanding from Micatech.

With a Tiger I'd probably go with soft luggage, given all the options that are out there right now don't appeal to me all too much.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:15 AM   #7798
CarlS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
Anyone wanting to buy this bike should. Nice quote from our RR. It's true we will own this bike despite the stalling because Triumph will figure it out if they haven't all ready. They will be able to take our bikes a part and learn anything they want. The bikes will have about 9000 miles on them by the time we are done and those miles were not all kind on the bikes.

---
I agree with you and the two of you have put these bikes through the acid test. Thak you for taking the time to comment here and thanks much for your great blog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Heathen View Post
I'm really interested in the 800xc. I've tried searching online for others having problems with the bike but haven't been able to find anything. So, I'm guessing it's a very small number bikes that are having trouble, or....maybe it has something to do with this forum...the only people having problems with their bikes are on this forum...Quit posting and reading and see what happens. kidding of course
I have not had a problem - yet. I have a little over 1000 miles miles on my XC. That will change next week by about 2000 miles. Even knowing about the stalling issues, I did not hesitate to buy my XC. This week I rode with two other 800 riders on a very hot day, mid to upper 90's F. Two of us have never experienced the stalling issue and one has. The one that has has learned how to work around it. He is riding and enjoying his bike while waiting for the fix from Triumph.

I encourage you to go ahead a purchase the 800. You will love it. My only complaint is the heat; but that will feel good in the winter!
CarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:33 AM   #7799
Meles meles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
We have Jesse luggage on both Tigers and our Beemers. Reason? No drag at high speeds, close fitting to the bikes, top loading we prefer, waterproof no doubt there and top quality. No powdercoating rubbing on your items inside the panniers, and we use the top box for commuting and trips like the one we are on. The top box, 45L fits one full face helmet too.
Look great. Do you know the weight for the Jesse racks and empty panniers?
Thanks.
Meles meles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:56 PM   #7800
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,278
Not sure about the exact weight if the Jesse racks or bags but would guess around 40-50 Lbs. The real test is when they are loaded and well balanced. Don't even know they are there and you can move them foward or baxk on the racks given the weigjt and preference. Another item that will go on any bike we own that Al Jesse makes mounts for.

---
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote