Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2011, 11:14 PM   #46
Woodsrat
Gone ridin'

Oddometer: 1,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenniSMC View Post
...I put the GY6 in my little Ruckus and it does just around 60mph...
How's that critter handle at speed? With the longer wheelbase it looks like it might be pretty stable.

I've been kicking the idea of one of these myself. I missed out on a Ruckus with a blown motor (run without oil) that would have been perfect for a conversion.

Eek!! More boring fiction--"One Last Ride in the Hoosier Revisited":
http://www.woodsrat.com
Woodsrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:41 AM   #47
NachoRoto
Meet you there. OK?

Oddometer: 5,692
It's a lot more stable with the gy6 length. But a better front end and disc brakes Would make it perfect. I ride mine different to compensate for it's short comings. I use mostly back brake to stop and use the fronts to finish if the backs don't do it. This keeps the suspension settled and load off the front end. My fastest speed was 61 mph on gps. But it takes a lot get it there. But it hums along nicely in the 40s. And that makes me happy.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:17 AM   #48
ronnath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenniSMC View Post

our club did a ride earlier this year and couple guys showed up with rucki very close to what you have.

125/150 engines, stretched frames. they were both using back wheels from golf carts, if memory serves. anyway the tires were so wide that they really didn't need center stands but they were using them. oh, and the tires were set up in such a way they could be removed with just a tire iron.
ronnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:41 AM   #49
YamaGeek
Ancient trailbike padwan

Oddometer: 6,011
There is a 250 cc Helix clone available nowadays, I'm not sure it's water cooled, but haven't people used old Helixes as an ADV bike when stripped of their plastic bits and modded up the yang?

YamaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:45 AM   #50
Woodsrat
Gone ridin'

Oddometer: 1,273
I watch Craigslist all the time looking for a suitable candidate for something as you describle. I saw a Helix that had been totalled when the owner's wife backed into it and then it fell over. Although the plastic was cracked and tweaked all over it was perfectly rideable--all the lights still worked, too--but by the time they added up the body pieces and mounts plus the labor to put it back together it was a write-off. That was right after they were released and I didn't have the imagination to see the potential. Sad.

Eek!! More boring fiction--"One Last Ride in the Hoosier Revisited":
http://www.woodsrat.com
Woodsrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:37 AM   #51
Bearcat
burg1

Oddometer: 105
Keep us informed on the Rowdy. I'm thinking of ditching my 50cc Roketa (which I have never had a problem with 2500 miles) and going to the Rowdy for short trips to the store etc.
Bearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:59 AM   #52
deezildennis OP
Its a what?

Oddometer: 775
I plan on updating the thread as I go for sure.
The good and the bad.....I have no problem sharing either.
deezildennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:38 PM   #53
deezildennis OP
Its a what?

ouch!

Well I did something stupid and I have a skinned up knee and shin from it.

I backed the bike out of the garage and the throttle cable got caught on my push mowers throttle lever. I didn't think anything of it and started the bike. The cable had been pulled out of the adjustment connection at the handle and I didnt notice it.

The bike was on the side stand and tore ass off dragging me along side of it. The bike hit my rider mower tire and stopped. No damage to the bike or the rider mower but I have a nice skinned up leg from it.

Stupid mistake.....I should have inspected the cable before I started it and should have been on the bike not off of it while starting it..

Dumb dumb dumb...could have been a lot worse if I didn't have Jeans on.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:26 PM   #54
FoldArt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by deezildennis View Post
Well I did something stupid and I have a skinned up knee and shin from it.

I backed the bike out of the garage and the throttle cable got caught on my push mowers throttle lever. I didn't think anything of it and started the bike. The cable had been pulled out of the adjustment connection at the handle and I didnt notice it.

The bike was on the side stand and tore ass off dragging me along side of it. The bike hit my rider mower tire and stopped. No damage to the bike or the rider mower but I have a nice skinned up leg from it.

Stupid mistake.....I should have inspected the cable before I started it and should have been on the bike not off of it while starting it..

Dumb dumb dumb...could have been a lot worse if I didn't have Jeans on.

I guess having plastic all over the bike has some purpose after all!

Glad you are alright - sounds like it could have been ugly (but probably a good youtube vid).

BTW, I bought two ZNEN made bikes (under their own name, from a local brick and mortar dealer) in 2009. Had very few issues with them, which the dealer resolved. Mine disappointed me with a low top speed, but the carb was set up really, really lean. Low 50's was all it did on flat ground. But I put 3000 miles on it with minimal maintenance, and it never left me stranded (and never failed to start). I think you made a great choice. Have fun with it.

PS - If it gets hard to start in cool weather, upjet the pilot a little.
FoldArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:32 PM   #55
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
That sucks! At least nothing got damaged though, could have been much worse.

Not really that stupid of you, I mean I probably wouldn't have thought much of it either. But glad your okay!
Old 08-06-2011, 01:04 PM   #56
deezildennis OP
Its a what?

Thanks! The leg is healing up alright.

Nothing real big going on with the bike. I rode it through the nasty heat we had last week it was just fine. I bought a ngk irid plug for it and have yet to put it in it.

On another note..... When I went to look at a rider lawn mower last week for a Neighbor and the buy had a destroyed Helix with a running engine in the back yard ...........

Unfortunetly for my Neighbor there was only room in the bed of the truck for the back half of the helix.....

Maybe in a year or so I will shoe horn the cn250 motor into this China clone for shits and giggles
Old 08-06-2011, 05:46 PM   #57
Sportsman Matt
Xtremely Bad Example

Oddometer: 313
Just make sure that it's the right CN250, otherwise you'll have clearance issues.

Also watch the heat on the iridium plugs, I used to run them in an older V-6 truck I had, ended up burning a hole in the top of #5 piston on that engine in real short order, ended up scrapping the truck because of the cost to fix it,plus the unknown piston particles in the engine (cheap aluminum pistons)
IBA Member#48125 IBA Flag#1084 LDR Member# 432
2013 Victory Judge
I'm a man, and I can change, if I have, to I guess
Sportsman Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:32 PM   #58
deezildennis OP
Its a what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsman Matt View Post
Just make sure that it's the right CN250, otherwise you'll have clearance issues.

Also watch the heat on the iridium plugs, I used to run them in an older V-6 truck I had, ended up burning a hole in the top of #5 piston on that engine in real short order, ended up scrapping the truck because of the cost to fix it,plus the unknown piston particles in the engine (cheap aluminum pistons)
I have a Sawzall.....and I aint afraid to use it! :)

Asfar as the plug goes, the gy-6 ruk guys seem to have pretty good luck with it so I hope to have the same.

Looking to get rid of the stuck muffler here shortly so I will fatten up the carbby around the same time.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:06 AM   #59
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsman Matt View Post
Big difference between the chinese model and the original Big Ruckus is very apparant. The Chinese clone lacks water cooling, lacks the Dual headlight setup, needs high octane gas, lighter weight, and probably lacks the linked braking system for the front and rear brakes, along with different size tires and rims than the original Honda Big Ruckus.

59MPH is impressive, but mine tops out at between 75-85 MPH depending on the grade and road conditions, cruises along at 65MPH without breaking a sweat. That's the difference between riding the original and a clone.

Now after your flogging for the clone, I have to say I am impressed, which is not very easy to do as I've been there and done that. Cool color, and with the exception of the color, looks exactly like a 2007 Big Ruckus, mainly due to the headlight.

Personally I would dump the single 55W/65W for a Dual 6" 55W/65W, they are bright enough to go deer jacking with, plus makes it look more like the OEM than a clone.

Also keep track of your MPG, the BR gets between 60-75MPG with the watercooled 250cc engine, wonder what
that lightweight 150cc air cooled gets?

And for storage, the Honda OEM water resistant storage container for the cargo rack is a Rubbermaid Action Packer, available from Walmart, and tied down with bungee cords or a bungee net.
That's incredible top speed on a BR. I owned a BR and a Reflex and neither could scare that kind of top speed. This is down wind, down hill with the throttle having been pinned for 3 minutes. This is indicated. Actual is probably upper 60's.

The Chinese copy has two rear shocks. The BR has one.

Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:04 AM   #60
Keys
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by deezildennis View Post
Maybe in a year or so I will shoe horn the cn250 motor into this China clone for shits and giggles
Not too big a deal...I swapped a 250 Elite engine into an '86 Helix I had (you gotta do that when you forget to replace the dipstick when you change the oil). Took about an hour to get it out and an hour and a half to get the new one in...--Keys
Keys is offline   Reply With Quote