Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2011, 09:54 AM   #91
jmlmjmjm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towjam View Post
Not exactly. For $15,999, the Victory does come standard with ABS. It does NOT come standard with hard cases or a windshield. I'm very interested in the Cross Roads and spoke with a local dealer today. The OTD price - red, hard (non-removable) bags and with no windshield, was almost the exact same price as the FLD (w/o ABS).

On paper, the Victory spanks the Harley in almost every tangible category. Where it sucks though, is with resale value, dealer network and the overall fit and finish.
Not exactly....hard bags are standard. The leather bags are $250 less. MId-height windshield is $550 still well less than the ABS option and now you're comparably equipped.

Also the hard bags are removable The hardware holding them is not conducive to riding without them though it does make cleaning everything easier.

Can't argue the dealer network or resale, What I do know is that you won't need the dealer much if at all and resales everywhere are in the toilet.....

Fit and finish? Subjective, but I find it more than satisfactory.
jmlmjmjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:16 AM   #92
JerseyBiker
Living the life!

Oddometer: 2,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Give it a few months JerseyBiker... HD is behind in production and will catch up soon. As soon as things settle you should be able to buy one near the MSRP.

How about considering a Fly & Buy for next Spring. ??? I will hook you up and pick you up at the Airport... Have your first service scheduled and paid for at the dealer of you choice and you could enjoy this beautiful country of ours on your way home.
Now that would be sweet. Pick up an HD and ride it home cross country!

We'll see what next year brings.
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:24 AM   #93
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,697
Old 08-08-2011, 11:10 AM   #94
zilla
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,609
Unamed dealer to the North of me has Freight and Document fees over 1200! That's across the board. No switchbacks in sight yet.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:14 AM   #95
Lopoetve
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
It is a fee from the Department of Licensing that he State charges for the dealer electronically filing and issuing the license plate at time of purchase. Money well spent in IMO.
One dealer in CO tried to charge me for that... but you can't do it in CO.

I laughed at him really hard.
There's a real simple test for "does my bike have soul": when you're on it do you feel like Sigurd hitting mach III on Fafnir's back while you decapitate pedestrians with Gram and plunge into a spinning color vortex of lust-hate-fear-madness as you leap the Himalayas? If so, you have found your mount. If not... the quest may be long, indeed. Embrace the inevitable - Scrannel
Lopoetve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:19 AM   #96
Berto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badge320 View Post
When I worked for 2 HD dealers freight cost the shop around 250.00.

I saw several dealers who were nearly charging double that amount...and adding the "prep" which was a recent MMI graduate on an hourly wage working 2 hours.....20.00. I would bet my next paycheck many dealers continue that same rip off.

I was in Daytona Harley a few weeks ago and the price tags had MSRP + $1900 in extra charges

Everyone has a use in life. Even if it is only to serve as a bad example
Berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:24 AM   #97
gus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilla View Post
Unamed dealer to the North of me has Freight and Document fees over 1200! That's across the board. No switchbacks in sight yet.
When I was pricing Street Bobs it seemed like all the SC dealers were charging $750-$1400 in "fees" +MSRP. I have a place in Tn and I bought in Maryville because they didn't tack on a bunch of "fees". No offense to anyone that works in a dealership or owns one, but MSRP should have enough profit built in for a dealer to make money if they sell enough bikes. I look at the out the door price, I don't care if they charge $1200 in fees if they reduce the price tag where it works out the same.
gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:43 PM   #98
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus View Post
When I was pricing Street Bobs it seemed like all the SC dealers were charging $750-$1400 in "fees" +MSRP. I have a place in Tn and I bought in Maryville because they didn't tack on a bunch of "fees". No offense to anyone that works in a dealership or owns one, but MSRP should have enough profit built in for a dealer to make money if they sell enough bikes. I look at the out the door price, I don't care if they charge $1200 in fees if they reduce the price tag where it works out the same.
Anything over $100 in fees is a complete rip off (talking about prep and doc fees). $100 is still a rip off, but HD dealers have not been hurt enough to not charge them.

Uke's HD in Kenosha during the buell closeout had a flat out the door price. the $50 F**K fee for the doc was included, but no other prep fees as they just took the crate off and rolled the bike out the door. That kind of fee I can handle, but anything else is just another reason not to buy HD. They also gave you 25% off anything else in the store, so I was able to buy a condor wheel chock cheaper than anywhere without shipping cost.

Fees for the dealer are pure profit. Big shiny dealerships with large show rooms filled with bikes cost money. That money is paid for in near MSRP prices and then having the balls to charge you near/over $1k in F**K fees.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:24 PM   #99
gus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post

Uke's HD in Kenosha during the buell closeout had a flat out the door price. the $50 F**K fee for the doc was included, but no other prep fees as they just took the crate off and rolled the bike out the door. That kind of fee I can handle, but anything else is just another reason not to buy HD.
I don't think Harley dealers are the only one that adds fees. When I price shopped for my DR650 I gave them a bottom line out the door price and let them divide up where the money went. Most shops have fees but depending on the bike and time of the month and how close they are to business plan those fees are negotiable.
gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:57 PM   #100
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilla View Post
Unamed dealer to the North of me has Freight and Document fees over 1200!
I've got a name for them!
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:09 PM   #101
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus View Post
I don't think Harley dealers are the only one that adds fees. When I price shopped for my DR650 I gave them a bottom line out the door price and let them divide up where the money went. Most shops have fees but depending on the bike and time of the month and how close they are to business plan those fees are negotiable.
Harley dealers are the only ones I know that charge more than $500 in new bike fees. Most Asian/Barvarian/Italian dealers would fold if they attempted that. Hey, I guess if the consumers are dumb enough to pay it you might as well charge it.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:11 PM   #102
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berto View Post
I was in Daytona Harley a few weeks ago and the price tags had MSRP + $1900 in extra charges
This is the kind of thing that hurts H-D more than it hurts the competition. But then, in Daytona everybody has to have a Harley?
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:15 PM   #103
Tip Over
Whoopsie!

Oddometer: 1,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
Harley dealers are the only ones I know that charge more than $500 in new bike fees. Most Asian/Barvarian/Italian dealers would fold if they attempted that. Hey, I guess if the consumers are dumb enough to pay it you might as well charge it.
I tried to buy a vulcan 900 as my first bike, as there was a really good deal near where my parents live. They had brand new bikes for 5000 dollars. I was absolutely ecstatic because I would not only get the color I wanted, but bags and shipping too for less then the MSRP. When I showed up we started working a deal out, even got to test ride it (keep in mind how hard that was because this was literally right after I got my endorsement). The dealer then tacked over 2000 dollars in fees. Set-up was something ridiculous like 800 dollars alone.

Ended up walking out of that one. They're still in business though, so apparently someone is willing to pay that.
Tip Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:03 AM   #104
pm9654
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
The fact is, the Vic will come in a bit more after adding the windshield. But as was said, it also comes standard with ABS, as well as cruise control. Duel discs, (they DO make a difference) bigger bags. More power. Very nice. Some call the Vic line-up ugly, so be it. I too give them credit for going for a "different" look then HD.

But I really like the Switchback. Nice old school look that Vic doesn't have anymore. (I own a '02 Vic TCD, still has that old school look) And I like the quick detatch bags and shield. And the 103 really has all the power you need. Not a true OD? So what, really doesn't matter to me. (I alway laugh when Vic sales people pull that one out)

Room for both. Go a bit more modern, or go for that old time look. I'd have to ride them back to back, make my decision at that time.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:20 AM   #105
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Oddometer: 3,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynaSport View Post
I'm not sure, but the bags look kind of small though and there is no trunk being offered for it as of yet. I don't mean to be negative, but I can't see it appealing to people who really want to tour on their bike. Then, on the other hand I don't think it will appeal to the guys who value looks over function either. It could end up like my FXDX, one of the better all around bikes Harley makes that doesn't sell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir-Faire View Post
This is what I call an "Aspiration Bike". It is a replacement, price wise, for the Electra Glide Standard they used to sell. It's a bagger for a guy who can't afford a Road King. They have done everything they can do to make the Dyna look like a Road King, even the exhaust pipes are similar.

When you look at it that way, it makes sense in the context of it's price point. That being said, I don't like the front end. Who ever heard of a Dyna with an FL fork? Weird. Looks better in person though; saw one at a dealer the other day.

Its not a touring bike. Not that you couldn't. This bike would appeal to me as a good town bike, since it has some bags. For me this would compliment my touring bike.

Its not remotely related to the Electra Glide Standard.

I don't plan on buying one though.

foreign lands and alien birds, hear stories that no ones heard-D.A.D.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Zerk is offline   Reply With Quote