Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2011, 08:25 PM   #541
olie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Must be where your spell checker hides too

Actually I read your post with some interest. Maybe you are right, maybe you aren't. But I'm hopeful for them, and I'm not so quick to assume they will snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. They have a lot of hurdles to overcome, but plenty of other startups in all kinds of manufacturing have done it before.

Beyond that - and perhaps unrelated to your post - I'm pretty sick and tired of the self-loathing that seems rampant in this country. We sold out our manufacturing to countries like China, and with it our economy and our future. Yet many don't seem to give a shit, and line right up at places like Harbor Freight to buy their cheap Chinese crap and then bitch that they can't find a job. Go figure. I've reached a point where I will only buy foreign if there is no similar U.S. product available. I don't even care if the U.S. product costs more, I'd rather spend more domestically than send the money somewhere else. To that end, if I happen to be in the market for a sport tourer and if Motus happens to be selling them I really don't care if a Japanese competitor's bike such as the C14 can be purchased for less. I'm spending my money here.
+1 except your reference to the C14. If any American company makes a C14, I for one would be buying it even if the prices were 1/3 more. After 36k+ miles the C14 puts a smile on my face. Just came back from a 5.5k mile trip 2/3 of which was done 2up. I saw and sat on a Motus, no way I could have done that trip on one. Even if I were solo...
Akrapovic, Givi W'shield, Kappa saddlebags...
11 Vette, unmolested...
olie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:08 PM   #542
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,438
A lot of optimism going on in this thread.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:17 PM   #543
PizzaHog
Thought Criminal

Oddometer: 2,775
Quote:

Beyond that - and perhaps unrelated to your post - I'm pretty sick and tired of the self-loathing that seems rampant in this country. We sold out our manufacturing to countries like China, and with it our economy and our future. Yet many don't seem to give a shit, and line right up at places like Harbor Freight to buy their cheap Chinese crap and then bitch that they can't find a job. Go figure.
I believe the term you're looking for is "oikophobia", the opposite of "zenophobia":
The British philosopher Roger Scruton has coined a term to describe this attitude: oikophobia. Xenophobia is fear of the alien; oikophobia is fear of the familiar: "the disposition, in any conflict, to side with 'them' against 'us', and the felt need to denigrate the customs, culture and institutions that are identifiably 'ours.' "
"For just as the Constitution is not a suicide pact, neither is there an obligation in the civil society to go meekly to one’s death at the state’s behest, or to satisfy its lust for absolute control over its citizens." Michael Walsh
PizzaHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:07 PM   #544
capriccio
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
First off, anyone buying a premium priced bike isn't going to want the cheapest suspension .
Find were I said that. You didn't read the post did you!?

Capriccio.
capriccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:34 PM   #545
capriccio
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Must be where your spell checker hides too

Actually I read your post with some interest. Maybe you are right, maybe you aren't. But I'm hopeful for them, and I'm not so quick to assume they will snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. They have a lot of hurdles to overcome, but plenty of other startups in all kinds of manufacturing have done it before.

Beyond that - and perhaps unrelated to your post - I'm pretty sick and tired of the self-loathing that seems rampant in this country. We sold out our manufacturing to countries like China, and with it our economy and our future. Yet many don't seem to give a shit, and line right up at places like Harbor Freight to buy their cheap Chinese crap and then bitch that they can't find a job. Go figure. I've reached a point where I will only buy foreign if there is no similar U.S. product available. I don't even care if the U.S. product costs more, I'd rather spend more domestically than send the money somewhere else. To that end, if I happen to be in the market for a sport tourer and if Motus happens to be selling them I really don't care if a Japanese competitor's bike such as the C14 can be purchased for less. I'm spending my money here.
As far as the spelling! I'm just not that anal.

But I do agree with you on the manufacturing part, its how countries build wealth from raw materials. Unfortunately the American mindset is to NOT get their hands dirty, students go to colleges/universities to get clever or learn how to massage the system so they can suck the fast drying tit and the cleverest will be millionaires if not billionaires. As an example, in Europe the Manufacturing Engineering degree is a grueling 5 year program, which tells us they take it seriously cause they understand the impact. As far as being a pessimist, I believe they are based in reality, while optimist is a pessimist wishing for the best outcome which is different than hoping where people put their money where their mouth is. I guess you are hopemist.

Motus may have formulated their plans years ago and are stuck with the current economy, that's unfortunate. But to make it now when so so many niche bike manufacturer's have closed and more on verge I say Motus better have a more than terrific plan. I do wish them the best and if they can sell me a bike for around 20K I may just be an hopemist myself, as I do love V4 especially in that size.

Capriccio.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:19 AM   #546
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by capriccio View Post
Find were I said that. You didn't read the post did you!?
Thank you for ignoring all of my other valid points.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:53 PM   #547
capriccio
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
Thank you for ignoring all of my other valid points.
Your welcome.

Capriccio.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:28 AM   #548
squirley
punk in drublic

Oddometer: 151
Good on them

I for one wish them all the success in the world. Make it comfortable, reliable and fast. Put a big alternator on it and hopefully it can be a platform the aftermarket will love. Would I spend more on a bike because it's American? Yes I would.
squirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:12 AM   #549
NC Scott
MOmymamamamaMOmymama

Oddometer: 1,497
Found this ten-minute interview with Lee Conn:
http://youtu.be/Cbn_uZ2Z3EY

NC Scott screwed with this post 08-10-2011 at 04:21 AM
NC Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:57 AM   #550
jrflanne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirley View Post
I for one wish them all the success in the world. Make it comfortable, reliable and fast. Put a big alternator on it and hopefully it can be a platform the aftermarket will love. Would I spend more on a bike because it's American? Yes I would.
I believe it will have all of that. Would I buy it because it is American? Probably. Would I buy it because 525lbs, 160hp, etc.? Oh, hell yes!
jrflanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:18 PM   #551
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,573
Hmmm...that video said exactly the opposite of what some nay-sayers are predicting. Imagine that. hand built, hard to get, premium parts, attention to detail.

he's right. Moto Guzzi is a great bike that does nothing better than anything else. This guy gets it. They will do well.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:29 PM   #552
NC Scott
MOmymamamamaMOmymama

MOTUS is hiring.

http://www.motusmotorcycles.com/jobs...m_medium=email

Old 08-10-2011, 03:35 PM   #553
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Just gotta Ask why Americans keep bringing old technology to market in trying times. V4 push rod motor ? Survivors of the great depression were innovators ! Then again maybe they understand technology the same as they understand finance ?
Old 08-10-2011, 03:46 PM   #554
xtop20A
Banned

Oddometer: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bails View Post
Just gotta Ask why Americans keep bringing old technology to market in trying times. V4 push rod motor ? Survivors of the great depression were innovators ! Then again maybe they understand technology the same as they understand finance ?
nothing wrong with pushrod motor as long as you dont expect it to rev to the stratosphere,as a plus it is much simpler,lighter,easier/less costly to service and less top heavy than a ohc motor,pluss these babies have direct injection,a first for a motersickle
xtop20A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:47 PM   #555
NC Scott
MOmymamamamaMOmymama

Maybe the technology suits their intended goals without over-complicating things. What are the valve adjustment intervals on the MOTUS?? Hmmmm...