User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2011, 08:09 PM   #106
mwood7800
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
r60

Will this work on my r60, how does the tach work..
mwood7800 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:46 PM   #107
Grok OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwood7800 View Post
Will this work on my r60, how does the tach work..
Howdy,
Honestly I'm not sure if it will work on the R60. The Harmonizer measures the difference in intake vacuum. Some early airheads didn't have vacuum nipples anywhere between the head and the throttle slide or butterfly. If the bike doesn't have vacuum nipples, it won't work without adding them.

The tach works by measuring the frequency of the vacuum pulses to calculate RPM.

Thanks for the inquiry!
Old 08-10-2011, 08:51 PM   #108
Stub deToe
Stub deToe

Oddometer: 165
Arrived in Canada

Came in today, no customs or added taxes, took about a week to get here. Looks nice will try tomorrow.

Bill in Toronto area
'74 R75/6 since new
Stub deToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:31 PM   #109
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,017
It's Here.

Got mine up here in Canada today as well. I take it the operating manual is the blurb at the botton of the first posting?
jackd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:51 PM   #110
Grok OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd View Post
Got mine up here in Canada today as well. I take it the operating manual is the blurb at the botton of the first posting?
Yes sir. I think you will find it very east to operate. Don't hesitate to ask if there are any questions!
Old 08-11-2011, 04:46 PM   #111
mr_magicfingers
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Well, just found this via UKGSer and have ordered after reading Steptoe's glowing testimonial.

I've only just started doing this job myself and built a basic manometer which I was very pleased with, given the results I got. However, it's not a particularly convenient thing to keep/store and I think the harmoniser will be a good step up as I learn to do this properly.

Look forward to receiving it and playing.

Oh yeah, new tools
mr_magicfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 04:54 PM   #112
JayElDee
not saying what I mean

Oddometer: 606
tempting... All reference is to a 2004 bmw r1150r.

I am using my homemade 6' manometer w automatic tranny fluid. Very sensitive, but takes a little while to do well and with the heat buildup the vacuum tubes can try to collapse. They can succeed.

I would be interested to hear from people who formerly used a homemade manometer. Is the Harmonizer as sensitive to get right on? Does it make life easier?

This device does not eliminate the need for cable high speed adjustment, does it?

How does one adjust on the road, or do you only get a reading on the road?

Sorry for the noob questions, but with the fluid manometer, obviously you cannot ride with it, and the routine was idle adjustment with BBAS and then high speed adj with the cable adj.

Thanks for any insight.

John
JayElDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:25 PM   #113
Grok OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayElDee View Post
tempting... All reference is to a 2004 bmw r1150r.

I am using my homemade 6' manometer w automatic tranny fluid. Very sensitive, but takes a little while to do well and with the heat buildup the vacuum tubes can try to collapse. They can succeed.

I would be interested to hear from people who formerly used a homemade manometer. Is the Harmonizer as sensitive to get right on? Does it make life easier?

This device does not eliminate the need for cable high speed adjustment, does it?

How does one adjust on the road, or do you only get a reading on the road?

Sorry for the noob questions, but with the fluid manometer, obviously you cannot ride with it, and the routine was idle adjustment with BBAS and then high speed adj with the cable adj.

Thanks for any insight.

John
The Harmonizer resolves to 1 millibar. That is roughly equal to 0.4 inch difference on a homemade manometer. I think you will agree that it's very difficult to get the balance closer than that with a liquid manometer. Even if it were possible, you would not be able to tell any difference in the way the motor performed.

The Harmonizer does not eliminate the need for higher-rpm cable adjustments. For your oilhead the routine would remain the same. Adjust the air screws for idle balance and idle speed, then perform a higher RPM balance by cable adjustment.

Although it is possible to obtain readings while under power, I can't recommend using the Harmonizer while underway due to potential safety/liability reasons. But nobody listens to me
Old 08-11-2011, 05:32 PM   #114
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 15,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayElDee View Post
I have gone from using a water-filled manometer setup to the Harmonizer. I like the new tool better. It resolves pretty damn well, and shows similar small reactions when I nudge a BBS or throttle stop as do the water tubes. A BIG benefit is that I don't have to deal with water sucked into the engine through the tubes when I start up and get a lopsided intake stroke. I made up my water tubes after junking the execrable TwinMax, but think I'll be pretty happy with the Harmonizer.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:15 PM   #115
johnjen
I've Been Resigned

Oddometer: 15,645
The On The Road™®© adjustment is only going to be REALLY useful and noticeable AFTER all of the other maintenance items are tweaked. So if you NAIL the valves, and the rocker end play, and the TPS setting, and have really good cables that activate the TBS the same for both cylinders, THEN that last bit of TB On The Road™®© tweaking can offer that last bit of, AAAAAAHHHHHH performance.

Of course if you go ahead and try the On The Road™®© adjustment and you don't notice much if any improvement then you'll know to look elsewhere.

JJ
ps if you want a bit more insight into how and what the On The Road™®© adjustment is all about download TBSD (in the Hall of Wisdom) and dive into the deep end of that pool.

WingMakers.com
Collected Works of the WingMakers Volume 1 pg. 590
johnjen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:21 PM   #116
Skinny Moose
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Just ordered mine today...looking foreward to trying it out.
Skinny Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:50 PM   #117
Dark Helmet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
Just ordered, looking forward to doing a better job than my old manometer. Thanks much.
Suzuki DRZ 400S
Dark Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:09 AM   #118
johnjen
I've Been Resigned

Oddometer: 15,645
So I ran an On The Road Test ©®™ today while on the freeway.
The unit ran flawlessly and I only saw 3mbar maximum deviation no matter what speed or throttle setting I used.

JJ

WingMakers.com
Collected Works of the WingMakers Volume 1 pg. 590
johnjen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:52 PM   #119
MotrSklz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Order Placed! Looking forward to putting this little unit to work.

MotrSklz
MotrSklz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:04 PM   #120
Dark Helmet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
Grok, ordered it Friday, got here today (Monday). What took so long?

Kidding of course. fired up the bike and couldn't believe how easy it was to use to adjust. Much much more accurate and easy compared to my manometer.

One question. While off idle I got it to center easily (was only off 15 milibar to begin with so the manometer wasn't terrible) I notice at idle the centering line is way off to the right. Is that normal? If not, have any ideas on whats up?

Thanks for a great product and excellent service so far.
Suzuki DRZ 400S
Dark Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote