User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2011, 10:56 PM   #7891
Vzuke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Tweaked a previous mod to the bike.

I didn't like how the clutch cable had to go up and over the Bark buster hand guard mounts (It didn't effect the operation, I'm just a little picky). So I purchased some Moose Racing parts to make a hybrid hand guard. Yes, it would have made sense to go with the Moose handguards but I wasn't a big fan of the plastics part (remember, picky).

Don't tell the wife I spent more money on the same project!

The brake side wasn't a problem because you could adjust it out of the way but we must have symmetry! And they come in pairs anyway.

I haven't done any hand guard "testing", do they move on impact? I know that depends on the severity of the testing. To me they seem like they would pivot downward. I was just wondering.....
Attached Images

Vzuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:11 PM   #7892
The Heathen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
So I went to check out the tiger today. Here's what happened. Spotted one XC. Sales guy approached, asked me if I had any questions. I asked if it was the only one they had. Told me it was then he told me it was the demo and said it wasn't for sale until the 2012's come in. Really?....So I'd have to wait? He says yes, but I'm going to buy it as soon as it's time to sell it. Uh...wait a minute...I thought I was the customer here
The Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:28 AM   #7893
CarlS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Heathen View Post
So I went to check out the tiger today. Here's what happened. Spotted one XC. Sales guy approached, asked me if I had any questions. I asked if it was the only one they had. Told me it was then he told me it was the demo and said it wasn't for sale until the 2012's come in. Really?....So I'd have to wait? He says yes, but I'm going to buy it as soon as it's time to sell it. Uh...wait a minute...I thought I was the customer here
The 2012's are out. I bought my XC in June and it is a 2012.
CarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 04:02 AM   #7894
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Funk View Post
Very nice BT ........

So how do you like the Heidi Scouts?

That is the tire I plan on putting on mine, when I purchase it. It's either that, or TKCs, but I'm really looking for more of a true 50 /50 tire, and I think the Scouts are the way to go.

G.
I like them a lot.
On the road they're very good and haven't slowed me down at all. Although they do wobble the screen a bit under 30mph. That's the only complaint.
On dirt they're acceptable for what they are. We had slimy conditions last Sunday and they coped just fine. They're never going to be as good as a pukka MX or enduro tyre so you just have to go a bit slower and pick your line more carefully.
I don't think you'll be disappointed if you do get some.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:09 AM   #7895
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlS View Post
The 2012's are out. I bought my XC in June and it is a 2012.
Mine also.
Maybe they're just not shipping many to the US????
Old 08-11-2011, 06:21 AM   #7896
CarlS
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Mine also.
Maybe they're just not shipping many to the US????
I was under the impression that most all of them coming in were 2012's. The 2011's coming in are, for the most part, already spoken for - pre-orders.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:27 AM   #7897
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlS View Post
I was under the impression that most all of them coming in were 2012's. The 2011's coming in are, for the most part, already spoken for - pre-orders.
Mine is a 2012 XC as well. Assembled date is May 2011, I bought it in early July.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:20 AM   #7898
Birdy68
Scared, but wants to

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
I would almost bet money that any and all who are having stalling issues are not riding the bike as it should be ridden... Meaning they are running at too low of an RPM. Shift down a gear or two and ride the damn things... Problem solved.
OK - I need to catch up on the posts - but I just needed to reply to this one.

My Black 800XC ABS does NOT have stock cans - REMUS Carbon's are fitted. I have almost 4'000 km on the clock.

I ride my Tigger with low RPM's - as I'm used to hearing them low from my Thunderbird. I VERY RARELY go up above 5'000 RPM's.

I have NO stalling problem.
Birdy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:29 AM   #7899
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdy68 View Post
OK - I need to catch up on the posts - but I just needed to reply to this one.
It's really not worth it. You might have experience contradicting it, but it was the biggest bullshit on ADVRider for quite a long time anyways.
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:49 AM   #7900
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,482
Old 08-11-2011, 10:23 AM   #7901
CarlS
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
It's really not worth it. You might have experience contradicting it, but it was the biggest bullshit on ADVRider for quite a long time anyways.
I don't think I would go that far. While I agree with you that riding at low rpm is not the cause of the Tiger 800 issues, it is not unheard off for this type of riding to cause problems. For example puttering around, especailly under 3000 rpm, on carbed Bonnies will cause them to carbon up and carbon up badly.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:41 AM   #7902
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,813
This is a fuel injected bike. The whole system is computer controlled. If I can ride the bike in any way that makes it then stall at idle or when transitioning from load to idle, there is a problem in the system, not in how I drive.

One must be completely nuts to

1) claim that the riding style can be wrong and therefore start this behavior and / or

2) accept this behavior at all.

No matter how I ride a bike, it should never ever show this. If it does, given that it is completely fuel injected and computerized, something is wrong with the bike, not the riding.

And I can still not understand why people are not complaining with NHTSA - have you never worked with any manufacturer at all?

If there is a problem reported by user(s) to the company, one engineer might be looking into this in the time he has left after doing his other work, therefore, not very much is done at all. As soon as you get official traction, an official agency involved for example, with the added pressure that this could, in some circumstances cause physical harm to a person (have the freaking thing stall on a busy highway, on an intersection, some other weird traffic situation) and the threat of charges against that said manufacturer, you will have a group of engineers looking full time into the problem until it is solved.

Triumph might be looking into things and I'm fairly certain they are, but to get traction on this, rider reports do absolutely nothing to make this move faster. That's just not how manufacturers work.
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:26 AM   #7903
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
No matter how I ride a bike, it should never ever show this. If it does, given that it is completely fuel injected and computerized, something is wrong with the bike, not the riding.
Nobody said there is not an issue that needs to be addressed. What was brought up is the question as to weather or not a certain riding style might be what is triggering the issue. NOT that a certain riding style is right or wrong. It needs to be fixed no matter what the riding style. Knowing what might be triggering it would help with fixing it.

They (Triumph) will get it sorted out.

DAKEZ screwed with this post 08-11-2011 at 04:42 PM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:59 AM   #7904
momanor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedesco886 View Post
Regarding the stalling problem. Everyone who seems to have it has had their "500mi" service and has a stock exhaust....Is there anyone here who does not fit those criteria?
I don't fit, mine would stall every time I rode it, knock wood has not stalled in the latest 500 miles since the first service was completed. YMMV...
momanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:58 PM   #7905
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,391
Quote:
I would almost bet money that any and all who are having stalling issues are not riding the bike as it should be ridden... Meaning they are running at too low of an RPM. Shift down a gear or two and ride the damn things... Problem solved.
Quote:
Nobody said there is not an issue that needs to be addressed. What was brought up is the question as to weather or not a certain riding style might be what is triggering the issue. NOT that a certain riding style is right or wrong. It needs to be fixed no matter what the riding style. Know what might be triggering it would help with fixing it.

They (Triumph) will get it sorted out.
I don't know which one of you I should believe, then.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR screwed with this post 08-11-2011 at 01:03 PM
Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote