User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2005, 06:45 AM   #16
sakurama
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,415
You won't be able to upload maps onto the 276c on a Mac. No workaround. There is a program that can get tracks and waypoints back and forth but your only option is a PC. That's it. I'd love to be wrong so perhaps someone has done it but even Garmin will tell you you will need a PC to upload maps.
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 07:22 AM   #17
dyvking
ahead of his flamin star

Oddometer: 3,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryM
Does anyone know if and how the software maybe run on Mac please?
You will have way less frustration if you just go buy a cheap used USB PC. That's what I did, and I'm happy for it. I picked up an eMachines box and a KVM switch that let's me use my keyboard/video/mouse from my mac on the PC and I was good to go.

I also have a 276C, and even the old eMachines loads routes and waypoints in seconds via USB. You should be able to find a suitable machine for not much more than the cost of VPC software.
2014 Fitness Goal: hike 1200 miles. Only 177 more to go.
dyvking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 04:26 PM   #18
dbsbmr
ADVENTURE MAN

Oddometer: 347
still confuesd on this isssue of loading topo maps on top of the city map that u boguth with the 276c. Am i too understand that they needed to ne loaded at the same time or that you wipe out was there before?
Old 04-02-2005, 09:17 PM   #19
worldrider
Adventure & Discovery

Oddometer: 1,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakurama
You won't be able to upload maps onto the 276c on a Mac. No workaround.
But before you totally jump ship on this there are a lot of variables that might impact this. And Garmin will never say anything works on a Mac, they simply say they don't support it.

So the Questions are:

1) What version of Virtual PC?

2) What version o Windows are you running under Virtual PC

3) What version of the Mac OS X operating system are you running?

4) What version of USB? The very recent PowerBooks and the iMac G5 and G5 towers are all using USB 2.0; older iBooks, Powerbooks and iMacs used USB 1.1

I haven't tried using any of this to upload the Maps, but if the issue is the USB driver under Windows running under Virtual PC, then we've got issues. But I'd like to know the variables there and I can dig further.

As for

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketJohn
I thought people that used Apples drove VWs and rode bicycles...
Good god. Where has this buy been? The only people I know that use PCs is because they say they "have to", I choose to ride a motorcycle because I like the freedom; I choose the Mac because I like the freedom. Not because I have to.

Now this Garmin issue is a real pisser and has me frosted. But I spoke with the developers at Lorance (sp?) and they have a beautiful product and are working on a native Mac OS X application and hardware interface. Problem is Garmin has no competition at this point, really. All make users should write to Garmin tech support and show demand for a mac compatible GPS.

'05 F650GS Dakar

My WorldRider Journey ADVrider Thread
worldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 11:56 AM   #20
sakurama
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldrider
But before you totally jump ship on this there are a lot of variables that might impact this.

snip

Now this Garmin issue is a real pisser and has me frosted. But I spoke with the developers at Lorance (sp?) and they have a beautiful product and are working on a native Mac OS X application and hardware interface. Problem is Garmin has no competition at this point, really. All make users should write to Garmin tech support and show demand for a mac compatible GPS.
It's known that there is no way to load maps via USB on a Mac. Check the earlier post that links to a 4 page discussion of this. Garmins protocol is messed up to work with a non standard windows protocol. Mac supports a standard which they don't adhere to and never the twain shall meet.

I just bought a 276c last night and I'm shopping for a Windoz laptop just to load maps and firmware. The very second that a GPS maker supports Mac I will sell it all and buy their product. In fact I'll most likely sell it in a few months for the TomTom Rider coming out this summer - very smart. For now though this is the only way... sad but true.
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 12:22 PM   #21
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,316
My work, upsetting the noobies is done here...

RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 12:33 PM   #22
Guaglione
Country mice

Oddometer: 2,291
For me, the real question is "why would you want to soil your Mac with filth like Windows?"

"This is the sort of ardent pedantry up with which I will not put."
Winston Churchill
Guaglione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 12:54 PM   #23
knary
sunshine and puppies

Oddometer: 29,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketJohn
I thought people that used Apples drove VWs and rode bicycles...

And I thought people that used PC's got all whiney and pompous whenever someone says they use a Mac.

Go Jane Go - Analog Jane and her three chamber heart

Goodbye Toolfan
knary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 04:24 PM   #24
Gizmo
Hermes

Oddometer: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guaglione
For me, the real question is "why would you want to soil your Mac with filth like Windows?"
Great question, and I feel guilty everytime I use my Mac and it sticks it tong out at me and makes all sorts of disapproving noises at me.

Bruce
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul
09' BMW K1200 LT
IBA # 8547
Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 09:03 AM   #25
Bayou Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,685
Same here. VirtualPC crashed about 4 times on my trip and sometimes I would have to click the little USB icon at the bottom to tell it that the USB converter was connected but, I like my Mac waaay to much to switch.

And the sleek titanium case gets all kind of looks when you pull it out in the bar at the Gage hotel in Marathon, TX after a half dirt 400 mile day. :grinner
Bayou Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 03:45 PM   #26
sashapave
riders on the strom

Oddometer: 1,426
just to clarify: i've been using my powerbook g4 with VPC and a garmin 276c via USB very happily for over a year.

Virtual PC 6.x, both Panther and Tiger.

BUT i believe it's because i have USB 1.1 on my powerbook. and i'm running windows 98 on the mac.

so, it CAN be done, but perhaps not if you have USB 2.x ports.

-Sasha
“A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.” -Admiral Grace Hopper
sashapave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 08:04 AM   #27
dlew
Daypass Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,142
success after days of trying

For four days I tried to make it work with Panther with both USB (2.0) and two different serial port adapters. I nearly bought a PC.

Mapsource would find my 276C but would not load it with the maps. I tried numerous settings, speeds, configurations, and even USB but never loaded anything.

Finally I went back to my old Ti G4 Powerbook and started up in 9.2.2 (NOT running classis in background but booting from the old OS) and in one try the program found the GPS and loaded 219MB of maps. It took about 1.5 hours.

Could be the USB 1.0 vs USB 2.0 but many have had more success with OS 9.x.

I'm running Virtual PC 6.1 and Windows 2000.

Hope this helps.
dlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 10:58 AM   #28
sashapave
riders on the strom

Oddometer: 1,426
It sounds more and more like a USB 2.0 thing.

Last night I installed VPC 7 on my new G4 laptop (with USB 2.0). I installed Win98 SE and no dice. The device is recognized as an 'unknown' USB device, and re-installing hardware/drivers etc. could not get it to work.

But, it works great on my old G4 laptop with USB 1.1.

So, I fear USB 2.0 mac users are out of luck.

There's one more thing I want to try: I have a USB 1.1 PCMCIA card which will fit into the 15 and 17" powerbooks. I'm going to install it and see if it might work.

-Sasha
“A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.” -Admiral Grace Hopper
sashapave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 08:29 AM   #29
dlew
Daypass Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by sashapave
There's one more thing I want to try: I have a USB 1.1 PCMCIA card which will fit into the 15 and 17" powerbooks. I'm going to install it and see if it might work.
-Sasha
Trying a PCMCIA card is a great idea. Let us know if it works and whether you're using VPC 6.0 or 7.0 and which Windows OS.

I had only tried VPC 6.x as the reports I had read said that 7.0 would not work.

Thanks!
dlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 08:53 PM   #30
DollarBill
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Hey,
Has anyone tried the Mac software from this company? http://www.gpsy.com/index.html
$bill
DollarBill is offline   Reply With Quote