ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-12-2003, 04:08 PM   #16
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,764
Quote:
Said sherpa:

One thing I do not understand... you guys said when yours froze up you turned it off and back on and everything was fine...my on/off button wouldn't work when it was frozen. I had to unplug it from the bike and remove the batteries to get it to turn off. Thanks again for the help.
Mine is not hardened and does suffer from the freeze-up problem fairly frequently. Maybe two or three times a day on long rides offroad or even more on rough pavement.

Anyway, to power off the unit after a freeze requires that i hold the power button down for more than thirty seconds. It takes a long time to shut off, but eventually, it does shutdown and will then restart. You might try this next time, rather than fooling with the batteries.

R-dubb
R-dubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 08:53 PM   #17
jdd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Mine did this on my first time out. Off to the 49er. I stopped a couple of times, took the batteries out and all was fine when I put the batteries in and plugged it back in. I would drive a while and bingo it would happen again. I was pissed off. At the rally I took the batteries out and left them out and have not had the problem since. Now when it is on the GS I leave the batteries home.

At the rally I was talking to someone and he was saying sometime even when plugged in the batteries will arch on a bump and cause it to freeze.

I have not done anything else and all is OK.

Good luck.
jdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 08:11 AM   #18
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,131
Quote:
Said GSbrasil:
Anyone experienced lost of reception due to "Poor Satellite Coverage" ?
I've been in the same spots where that happened with the GPS on the car and never lost the reception ...
Not sure if the vibration would also cause this ...
My experience with motos and GPS's has shown that often the antennas, especially on older units, sometimes get a little flaky with vibration causing this symptom...
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 10:42 AM   #19
GSbrasil
Aventureiro Brazuca

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Said SteveAZ:
My experience with motos and GPS's has shown that often the antennas, especially on older units, sometimes get a little flaky with vibration causing this symptom...
Still no luck with the GPS ...
Tried again this weekend, after downloading the v2.20 firmware. No freeze-ups.
The problem is that it would still loose reception everywhere. A quick stop on the side of the road and it would connect to the satellites again.

Any idea if "hardening" the unit would resolve this. How about that remote booster antenna ?
Old 06-16-2003, 10:57 AM   #20
sherpa OP
...Robert

Oddometer: 3,175
GSbrasil...have you tried calling Garmin and talking with them about it ? They are very customer friendly over the phone.

05 640 Adventure
08 KTM 250 XCFW

I'd trade all my motorcycles for one Flying Dragon.
sherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 11:25 AM   #21
GSbrasil
Aventureiro Brazuca

Oddometer: 119
Yes I just called them. They want me to send it back so they can take a look at it and run some tests ... I hope they figure out what wrong with it ...
Old 07-19-2005, 10:50 PM   #22
ThinAirThumper
Stuck in Traffic

Oddometer: 229
My Garmin Quest just froze-up on me. Screen is locked at my last location. Otherwise, the GPS doesn't react to any of the buttons.
Anyone have any tips for a reset?
Thanks,
ThinAir
Old 07-20-2005, 08:37 AM   #23
lmonsanto
MotoTurista

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherpa
I was out riding today and my Garmin GPS V just froze up. It would not respond to commands from any buttons. When I got home I removed and then replaced the batteries (it is hard wired when on the bike) and it appears to be working fine.
I talked to the Cycoactive guy a couple days ago. He told me to remove the batteries before riding. Vibration causes the batteries to momentarily loose contact with connection points. This isn't good for the GPS. So, just use the hard-wired power when riding.
lmonsanto is offline   Reply With Quote