Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2011, 09:41 PM   #7966
Romulux
Next exit

Oddometer: 156
Yes, I went to a rural road and rode back and forth checking various settings on the rear preload. I weigh 170 or so. None of the settings had much impact, from cranked all the way to high and back down to low.

Keep in mind I had a 15 to 20 mph low side a few weeks ago. It's possible something on the front was tweaked as a result of that, although it shouldn't have since it didn't really run into anything. I don't have the $150 castellated socket to tighten up the front steering stem, so that's one thing I haven't tried.

I DO experience the clunking others have reported during hard braking or when going over rough surfaces at low speed.

I don't think the wobbling occurred before my low side, but I might just not have created the necessary conditions for it to show up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Did you crank up the rear Pre-load?

How much do you weigh? I have not experienced this yet on the Triumph… I did have it happen on a Dakar and cranking up the Pre-load made it go away. Truly curious.

Romulux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:46 PM   #7967
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano955 View Post
Yes, me too.

They didn't figure it out yet. At least, not on my bike. I'm pretty pissed off at this point. Been a total downer of an experience buying this bike.
We are home now from our 44 days with the Tigers. They are still in our garage and we are waiting to hear what we are supposed to do next with them. Aug 11th on our way home both bikes were stalling quite a bit making us do our throttle cable voodoo and they would run. We still have not heard what the fix might be. So, we rode 13693 KM with stalling bikes....well...not all the 13693 but at least 12000 KM.
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:05 PM   #7968
mellowdave
Красное октябрь

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebiter View Post
Thanks for the replies.

I'm the guy that has to go to 7 different walmarts lookin' for a pair of shoes, stuff never fits me.. I've pretty much gotten used to it over the decades. If stuff fits, cool- If not- Oh well, keep lookin'..
WAL MART huh, I wonder why you have problems?

2000 Ducati 996::Several XRs
mellowdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:17 PM   #7969
russbryant
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,027
Markbtv had a faceplant a couple of dats ago

I don't post in this thread but thought you guys should know. Send all of your good karma Marks way.

He's doing pretty well but took a hit to the head and has a femur that is broken in 2 places. A 5 hour surgery has his leg back together. MRI shows no damage to the spine so he can now sit up in bed. The head injury is not too serious and he should recover fully.

He was taken out by a girl in a cage that ran a red light. He was on his dads bike that they were trying to sell.

Russ
russbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:21 PM   #7970
eye.surgeon
...riding California

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulux View Post
Keep in mind I had a 15 to 20 mph low side a few weeks ago. .
Mystery solved.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:03 AM   #7971
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Get well mark bvt

Quote:
Originally Posted by russbryant View Post
I don't post in this thread but thought you guys should know. Send all of your good karma Marks way.

He's doing pretty well but took a hit to the head and has a femur that is broken in 2 places. A 5 hour surgery has his leg back together. MRI shows no damage to the spine so he can now sit up in bed. The head injury is not too serious and he should recover fully.

He was taken out by a girl in a cage that ran a red light. He was on his dads bike that they were trying to sell.

Russ
Thanks for the heads up Russ!
Wow! That is bad news! I'm sure all the Tiger fans here wish Mark a speedy recovery. He has been a primary contributor to this thread from day one. Always offers some of the best and most interesting comments. I believe Mark is one of the first to go cross country on a Tiger 800 and do a ride report about the trip.

Man ... it is a real jungle out there ... be careful out there guys!! (and gals!) And remember: "There but for the grace of God go I"

Thinking of you Mark. Hang in there and don't hold back on that Morphine drip. Get well soon.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:01 AM   #7972
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,707
Quote:
I don't think the wobbling occurred before my low side, but I might just not have created the necessary conditions for it to show up.
What tire?
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:33 AM   #7973
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,384
Quote:

I DO experience the clunking others have reported during hard braking or when going over rough surfaces at low speed.
Mine did that A LOT!! So I tackled it myself and tightened the head bearings by about half a turn and it's now brilliant. And quieter over the rough dirt roads.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:32 PM   #7974
Ducken
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Good luck and wishing a full recovery to Mark BVT. Ken
Ducken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:01 PM   #7975
Romulux
Next exit

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
What tire?
Stock Scorpion Trail.
Romulux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:13 PM   #7976
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,707
Quote:
Stock Scorpion Trail.
Okay. The Trail Attack was attributed with wobble on the GS (which is probably more stable than the Tiger due to the Telelever), but I haven't heard anything about the Scorpion Trail in that size.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:58 PM   #7977
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by russbryant View Post

Russ
Thanks for the info Russ.
Bummer!
Mark, I wish you a full recovery!
Good karma on your way!

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR screwed with this post 08-14-2011 at 08:28 PM
Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:12 PM   #7978
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,696
Wolfman racks...

Maybe old news, but just in case:

http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Racks/...er_800_XC.html

I know a vendor on Oz makes some, but I really like the Berg Briggs racks he makes for Wolfman. Have them on my wr and love them. I've learned to pack lite on the wr and I ain't going back to hard cases.

Just a few more monies in da bank and I'm joining the club!
Little Blue goes looking for Orange
mbabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:20 PM   #7979
turboICE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
I know the owners manual says you can use regular low octane fuel - are any of the stallers using super unleaded higher octane fuel? I have had no stalls but have only used super unleaded don't know if there is any correlation there with experiences people are having.
turboICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:04 PM   #7980
PaulSF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbabc View Post
Maybe old news, but just in case:

http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Racks/...er_800_XC.html

I know a vendor on Oz makes some, but I really like the Berg Briggs racks he makes for Wolfman. Have them on my wr and love them. I've learned to pack lite on the wr and I ain't going back to hard cases.

Just a few more monies in da bank and I'm joining the club!

+1 ... In transit
PaulSF is offline   Reply With Quote