User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2011, 11:44 PM   #7981
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,303
Our final review

Just posted today our final review of the Tiger XC bikes we borrowed for 44 days. if you are interested in what average ADV riders have to say after thousands of KM....feel free to have a look....

http://advgrrls.com/2011/08/14/final...-and-our-gear/
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:46 AM   #7982
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducken View Post
good luck and wishing a full recovery to mark bvt. Ken
+1
Old 08-15-2011, 04:48 AM   #7983
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
+1
+2

Get well soon Mark....
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:12 AM   #7984
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
Just posted today our final review of the Tiger XC bikes we borrowed for 44 days. if you are interested in what average ADV riders have to say after thousands of KM....feel free to have a look....

http://advgrrls.com/2011/08/14/final...-and-our-gear/
Great review and ride report ladies!
I don't know what time it is, I've switched to kilometers
mbabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:28 AM   #7985
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbabc View Post
Maybe old news, but just in case:

http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Racks/...er_800_XC.html

I know a vendor on Oz makes some, but I really like the Berg Briggs racks he makes for Wolfman. Have them on my wr and love them. I've learned to pack lite on the wr and I ain't going back to hard cases.

Just a few more monies in da bank and I'm joining the club!

Wolfman looks good. I decided to go without racks: got the Giant Loop + a small Pelican top case. I like it that when I arrive at the destination for the day and I can unload the bike and carry all the gear out of the bike in one trip. Except when camping, where the tent becomes a third volume.

Unloading the bike (80 seconds or so):

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:00 AM   #7986
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboICE View Post
I know the owners manual says you can use regular low octane fuel - are any of the stallers using super unleaded higher octane fuel? I have had no stalls but have only used super unleaded don't know if there is any correlation there with experiences people are having.

Im pretty sure this was addressed a ways back. No correlation.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:40 AM   #7987
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
Im pretty sure this was addressed a ways back. No correlation.
Incidently, my bike is a "staller. But yesterday, after a 250 mile ride, with a few stops where I turned the engine off (fuel, and lunch) and stops for red lights, photographs, etc. with the engine on, the bike did not stall once. It now has close to 3,000 miles.

My bike used to stall ONLY hen the engine was warm (normal operating temperature), after an idling period, or after I turned the engine off (for fuel, or for a photo op, or something like that) and turned it back on in about 5-10 minutes. It always stalled on the "blip the throttle" scenario.

Only one time it stalled in between gears (going from 2 to 1, and I was blipping the throttle at that time), and only one time it had that stall where the engine really did not want to run and was difficult to re-start. The last two scenarios, I repeat, occurred only once each in the 3,000 miles.

I have refused to get my bike to the dealers until I hear in official version from Triumph. But for now, based on yesterday's ride, I will consider it solved.

I always use 92 octane (American calculation method).

Lion

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR screwed with this post 08-15-2011 at 11:38 AM
Old 08-15-2011, 11:01 AM   #7988
SierraADV
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Big Sur old coast road

Took a nice ride from my place in the Bay Area down to Big Sur over the weekend. I hit some crazy traffic on Highway 1, but had a great time venturing out on the dirt roads. I really love this bike, I just wish I did not wait until I was 40 to take up the sport and get my first road bike. The weather and views were great, but too hot for my nice Triumph Adventure riding gear. My Rev'it ES Air mesh riding gear set is awesome, great ventilation & protection, quality stuff! I love that I can wear my motocross boots with this bike, makes me feel at home...

About 1,500 miles on the bike now.

POV video coming shortly, here are some highlights from the ride:

The old coast road:

Old 08-15-2011, 11:26 AM   #7989
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
My bike used to stall ONLY hen the engine was small, after an idling period, or after I turned the engine off (for fuel, or for a photo op, or something like that) and turned it back on in about 5-10 minutes. It always stalled on the "blip the throttle" scenario.

Lion
Only when the engine was small? Does yours have a big bore kit?
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:29 AM   #7990
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraADV View Post
Took a nice ride from my place in the Bay Area down to Big Sur over the weekend. I hit some crazy traffic on Highway 1, but had a great time venturing out on the dirt roads. I really love this bike, I just wish I did not wait until I was 40 to take up the sport and get my first road bike. The weather and views were great, but too hot for my nice Triumph Adventure riding gear. My Rev'it ES Air mesh riding gear set is awesome, great ventilation & protection, quality stuff! I love that I can wear my motocross boots with this bike, makes me feel at home...

The old coast road:

Good stuff Sierra and welcome to the forum.
A lot of coastal fog creeping over the hills. I remember that being at 55F and when I turned in land, 30 miles later it was 95F .
Old 08-15-2011, 11:38 AM   #7991
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Only when the engine was small? Does yours have a big bore kit?
WTF did I write?
Meant "warm" as in normal operating temperature.

I'd rather be riding!

Old 08-15-2011, 11:42 AM   #7992
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,843
Quote:
I hit some crazy traffic on Highway 1, but had a great time venturing out on the dirt roads.
May I ask which dirt roads? There aren't too many that can legally be ridding in the Bay Area or close by that I know of. We've played around Mt. Madonna and took Summit Road one time (it's a private road - so we were looking for a property to buy there ... ). And actually - I'd love to have a property up there, so it isn't even a full excuse ...
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:48 AM   #7993
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Quote:

The old coast road:

Great! Last month I did a 1,400 trip on Hwy 101 and Hwy 1 on my Tiger 800XC. My next goal is go south of San Francisco all the way to Big Sur.

I'd rather be riding!

Old 08-15-2011, 12:26 PM   #7994
SierraADV
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
May I ask which dirt roads? There aren't too many that can legally be ridding in the Bay Area or close by that I know of. We've played around Mt. Madonna and took Summit Road one time (it's a private road - so we were looking for a property to buy there ... ). And actually - I'd love to have a property up there, so it isn't even a full excuse ...
You're right, from what I'm learning there are not many dirt roads in the bay area. Everything seems to be private land and has a fence or gate. I did some research online last week and it appears the two main dirt roads in the Carmel - Big Sur area are:
There are some other areas (dirt roads?) too, but I did not have time check them out on this trip. I'm not sure if there are fences or how much is actually dirt roads:
  • Palo Colorado road - which has a bunch of other roads that appear to be dirt which fork off
  • Forest Route 19S09/Milpitas rd (which also starts off of Nacimiento-Ferguson)
  • Cone Peak rd (which also starts off of Nacimiento-Ferguson)
  • Forest route 23S02/Plaskett Ridge road (about 20 miles south of the town Big Sur off of Highway 1)
  • USF Route 23S14 (about 20 miles south of the town Big Sur off of Highway 1)
  • South Coast Ridge Road with a few other roads leading off (about 20 miles south of the town Big Sur off of Highway 1)
I'd like to get back down there again soon, and stay over at least one night so I can take my time exploring the area further...
Old 08-15-2011, 12:34 PM   #7995
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,968
i use that same concept on my dr. works awesome.
i have a 1520 pelican bolted on the rear rack and use a giant loop coyote sitting on the rear of my seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
Wolfman looks good. I decided to go without racks: got the Giant Loop + a small Pelican top case. I like it that when I arrive at the destination for the day and I can unload the bike and carry all the gear out of the bike in one trip. Except when camping, where the tent becomes a third volume.

Unloading the bike (80 seconds or so):

Attached Images

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 10-30-2011 at 04:52 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote