User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2011, 09:05 AM   #16
old brooklyn boy OP
Talking Dog

Oddometer: 459
Lean out

Measured the lean out instead of 2-3 degrees it is very close to 4.6. There is also a steering stabilizer. It makes it very hard to turn to the right and the position it is mounted in it pushes the bike up and away from the side car when making a right turn which makes the lean out worst.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:36 AM   #17
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer: 5,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by old brooklyn boy View Post
Measured the lean out instead of 2-3 degrees it is very close to 4.6. There is also a steering stabilizer. It makes it very hard to turn to the right and the position it is mounted in it pushes the bike up and away from the side car when making a right turn which makes the lean out worst.
If I am reading this correctly, your leanout is changing when you turn because of the resistance of your steering damper? Your lean out should not be changing at all, period. The fault is not the steering damper, it is the mounts, or something is broken.

If you are using clamp mounts I strongly recommend you pitch them and start over with a good subframe mount. The older Velorex/Jawa clamp mounts were notorious for slipping and damaging bike frames. The newer mounts are much better, but still prone to slipping and even if they do not slip, airhead frames are too flexible to mount a sidecar safely without re-enforcing with a subframe and/or bracing( in my opinion; as always YMMV ;-)

if the issue is simply the steering damper prevents you from setting the leanout properly, just remove the steering damper. If you find you have a wobble that can't be dealt with by adjusting set up or attending to bearings, tire pressure and tire tread, re mount the damper, but mount it differently or use a different damper. It should not determine your set up or mounting points for the sidecar.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:44 AM   #18
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace View Post
If I am reading this correctly, your leanout is changing when you turn because of the resistance of your steering damper? Your lean out should not be changing at all, period. The fault is not the steering damper, it is the mounts, or something is broken.

If you are using clamp mounts I strongly recommend you pitch them and start over with a good subframe mount. The older Velorex/Jawa clamp mounts were notorious for slipping and damaging bike frames. The newer mounts are much better, but still prone to slipping and even if they do not slip, airhead frames are too flexible to mount a sidecar safely without re-enforcing with a subframe and/or bracing( in my opinion; as always YMMV ;-)

if the issue is simply the steering damper prevents you from setting the leanout properly, just remove the steering damper. If you find you have a wobble that can't be dealt with by adjusting set up or attending to bearings, tire pressure and tire tread, re mount the damper, but mount it differently or use a different damper. It should not determine your set up or mounting points for the sidecar.

OP - here's a link to some info on subframes and airhedz, if you haven't come across it already... linky My rig was built by da 'bum and it is solid
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote