User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2011, 03:16 PM   #7996
Bassfisher
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Tiger heated grips

Can anyone tell me what the outside diameter is on the Triumph heated grips?
I am looking for grips with a small diameter.
I had some Oxford grips but they are much bigger than stock grips.
Bassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:14 PM   #7997
SierraADV
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedesco886 View Post

What "fog" lights would you suggest? Denali D2?

Any other suggestions/options?
Nice bike! Where are you located? That looks like California terrain behind your truck.

I would go with the OEM Skid plate and OEM fog lights. The OEM skid/sump gaurd goes up pretty high to protect the hoses and oil filter. The OEM fog lights provide a great deal of extra lighting at night and look great with the matching OEM Skid/sump guard.

For my headlights and fog lights, I used Venture Shield, it's like 3M clear bra but better (no sticky adhesive and thicker/stronger). I also have this all over my SUV and it works great. I also put it on the back part of my gas tank where my legs touch/rub against the paint, turned out well...

I have a brand new, uninstalled, but not in retail bag, front fender OEM extension I'll sell you. I purchased it, took it out of the bag, and never installed it and don't plan too. If you want it, make me an offer, I'll take a fair price below retail for it.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:00 PM   #7998
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Not a cheap date ... but all a write-off for the dealer. You're either IN or your OUT. Sounds like your dealer is not committed 100% to Triumph quite yet. Once he's lost 30 or 40 sales he may wise up ... but these kind of dealers tend to "have all the answers". Be interesting to see his face when Triumph pulls his dealership on him. Triumph have done this quite a bit in the last few years.
I agree, but I can also see the dealer's POV. Let's see, all-up $5K for the tech to do the course, sell 20 bikes in a year... that's $250 per bike just to cover this cost at a time where a lot of dealers are feeling lucky to clear $500 total margin on a new bike sale.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:12 PM   #7999
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
I agree, but I can also see the dealer's POV. Let's see, all-up $5K for the tech to do the course, sell 20 bikes in a year... that's $250 per bike just to cover this cost at a time where a lot of dealers are feeling lucky to clear $500 total margin on a new bike sale.

- Mark
New bike sales make up a small part of a dealer's income. I agree, it's a lot to pay for training but it's not as simple as figuring how many new bikes they will sell as a result.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:57 PM   #8000
Deano955
Insatiable

Oddometer: 4,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassfisher View Post
I've got the Triumph heated grips on my 2012 XC. They are a grip, not tape that mounts below the grip. I didn't measure them but I'd say they're 7/8" at the grip, like most standard grips.

Can't comment on how well the Triumph heated grips accessory work as it's been over 90 degrees every day for going on 3 months now in the Denver area. I can barely stand to ride the bike home from work right now...
Old 08-17-2011, 08:09 PM   #8001
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post

- Mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
New bike sales make up a small part of a dealer's income. I agree, it's a lot to pay for training but it's not as simple as figuring how many new bikes they will sell as a result.
Paying for training is a big expense for sure. But as mentioned ... dealers make far more on service than on sales. So having a good shop with certified mechanics means happy customers. This can pay dividends will into the future. Consider it an investment.

Still ... it's a lot to come with for the dealer. Maybe they work these costs into the monthly flooring nut or something? Dunno ? I'm friends with two dealers but I rarely stick my nose into their business. We drink beer and ride mostly! They hate talking shop ... until drunk ... (then the truth comes out!!! )

But Triumph have to hold up their end as well. If a dealer can't get parts or proper info on "fixes" (like with so many BMW dealers) then everybody gets pissed and hard earned Reputations can be shattered.

Lack of parts really held up KTM's growth back in the early 2000's. I guess it's better now ... but I no longer own any KTM's so really can't say. I am currently on the 2nd week waiting for a bolt and spacer for my Tiger 1050.
It's a week over the promised day.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:42 PM   #8002
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassfisher View Post
I just picked up a set today, they are approximately 1.375 inches OD.
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:11 PM   #8003
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
My point is not that the training expense will pay off or not, it is that we don't know the dealer's cost structure or how they run their business, so we shouldn't be too quick to pass judgment on a dealer that can't ante up to some of these expensive programs. It's their business and their money and they know a lot more than we do. Notwithstanding other information to the contrary, I respect their judgment.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:34 AM   #8004
KLM 3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Paying for training is a big expense for sure. But as mentioned ... dealers make far more on service than on sales. So having a good shop with certified mechanics means happy customers. This can pay dividends will into the future. Consider it an investment.

Still ... it's a lot to come with for the dealer. Maybe they work these costs into the monthly flooring nut or something? Dunno ? I'm friends with two dealers but I rarely stick my nose into their business. We drink beer and ride mostly! They hate talking shop ... until drunk ... (then the truth comes out!!! )

But Triumph have to hold up their end as well. If a dealer can't get parts or proper info on "fixes" (like with so many BMW dealers) then everybody gets pissed and hard earned Reputations can be shattered.

Lack of parts really held up KTM's growth back in the early 2000's. I guess it's better now ... but I no longer own any KTM's so really can't say. I am currently on the 2nd week waiting for a bolt and spacer for my Tiger 1050.
It's a week over the promised day.
The guy I was talking to mentioned that the cost was in the neighborhood of $10,000 for them to get the training done. That seems awful steep, but I guess with all the travel, lodging and whatever else, it adds up quick.

I got the impression they'd rather just sell more Harleys and Bimmers.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:24 AM   #8005
Midpack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Colorado ride

Just returned from a seven day trip wandering around some of Colorado's scenic roads, three of which were spent with kids and grand kids. 2173 miles of bliss. The last day, the longest was 773 miles, two thirds of which were back roads thru southern Colorado and northern New Mexico. The Tiger did great. Mileage with the Jesse bags was 51-53 mpg at 60-75mph and down to 48-50 mpg up to 85 mph. The Jesse bags were tested water tight in a downpour between Hitchcock and Carbondale, then again over the pass in Rocky Mountain National Park with a snow flurry (August?) thrown in. The stock seat felt pretty comfy for the first 400 miles or so, then with alternating heights between high, low, and front high/rear low I finished off the 700+ mile day fairly well. I had the stock Battle Wings on, they stuck well in the corners surprising some sport bike riders and good in the rain. They did keep me from trying 110 out of Silverton and another planned route since the local riders deemed more aggressive tire were needed. I have 4960 miles racked up, no stalling issues, but have noticed the front end clunk. I'll tighten up the head bearing when I go to install the heated grip kit. I have a Ducati ST2 and a DR650, the 800XC is the riding position/maneuverability of the DR with the quality/ power of the ST2. I couldn't imagine riding those State and National Parks at 40mph or so in traffic with the ST2.
Attached Images

Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:31 AM   #8006
PaulSF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Just returned from a seven day trip wandering around some of Colorado's scenic roads, three of which were spent with kids and grand kids. 2173 miles of bliss. The last day, the longest was 773 miles, two thirds of which were back roads thru southern Colorado and northern New Mexico. The Tiger did great. Mileage with the Jesse bags was 51-53 mpg at 60-75mph and down to 48-50 mpg up to 85 mph. The Jesse bags were tested water tight in a downpour between Hitchcock and Carbondale, then again over the pass in Rocky Mountain National Park with a snow flurry (August?) thrown in. The stock seat felt pretty comfy for the first 400 miles or so, then with alternating heights between high, low, and front high/rear low I finished off the 700+ mile day fairly well. I had the stock Battle Wings on, they stuck well in the corners surprising some sport bike riders and good in the rain. They did keep me from trying 110 out of Silverton and another planned route since the local riders deemed more aggressive tire were needed. I have 4960 miles racked up, no stalling issues, but have noticed the front end clunk. I'll tighten up the head bearing when I go to install the heated grip kit. I have a Ducati ST2 and a DR650, the 800XC is the riding position/maneuverability of the DR with the quality/ power of the ST2. I couldn't imagine riding those State and National Parks at 40mph or so in traffic with the ST2.

Great report. That last day was a very long day in the saddle by anyone's measure. I am generally not a fan of hard bags, but those Jessie bags sure look good ...
PaulSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:12 PM   #8007
SierraADV
Adventurer

Quote:
Just returned from a seven day trip wandering around some of Colorado's scenic roads, three of which were spent with kids and grand kids. 2173 miles of bliss.ST2.
Wow, that's a great picture of the terrain!
Old 08-18-2011, 04:25 PM   #8008
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,459
Quote:
Just returned from a seven day trip wandering around some of Colorado's scenic roads, ........

I have a Ducati ST2 and a DR650, the 800XC is the riding position/maneuverability of the DR with the quality/ power of the ST2. I couldn't imagine riding those State and National Parks at 40mph or so in traffic with the ST2.
Great report and super photo to back it up.

The more I hear about how these Tiger 800s are working out the more I'm inspired to replace my KLR650 with one next year. I'm thinking they will have any small bugs worked out for the next year's model and hopefully my finances will be in a slightly better position. If I'm "lucky" there might even be some deals on them considering they won't be first year out models.
09 Kawi KLR650 - for sale
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:57 PM   #8009
SierraADV
Adventurer

Eye Candy (back roads to Yosemite)

Video snap shots from our ride to Yosemite via the back roads, on and off road. About 18 hours of riding over two days, it was a blast!

Surprisingly, the stock tires handled better than I expected. I do some extreme dirt bike riding on my CRF450R and these tires did okay on the nasty trail.

This is actually a decline:

Looking back up the trail:

Old 08-18-2011, 08:15 PM   #8010
Cariboo_kid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Fabulous pics This must put to rest any concerns that the Tigers can't handle the rough stuff. Those are some serious rocks.
Cariboo_kid is offline   Reply With Quote