Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2011, 07:09 PM   #8041
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
I agree, but I can also see the dealer's POV. Let's see, all-up $5K for the tech to do the course, sell 20 bikes in a year... that's $250 per bike just to cover this cost at a time where a lot of dealers are feeling lucky to clear $500 total margin on a new bike sale.

- Mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
New bike sales make up a small part of a dealer's income. I agree, it's a lot to pay for training but it's not as simple as figuring how many new bikes they will sell as a result.
Paying for training is a big expense for sure. But as mentioned ... dealers make far more on service than on sales. So having a good shop with certified mechanics means happy customers. This can pay dividends will into the future. Consider it an investment.

Still ... it's a lot to come with for the dealer. Maybe they work these costs into the monthly flooring nut or something? Dunno ? I'm friends with two dealers but I rarely stick my nose into their business. We drink beer and ride mostly! They hate talking shop ... until drunk ... (then the truth comes out!!! )

But Triumph have to hold up their end as well. If a dealer can't get parts or proper info on "fixes" (like with so many BMW dealers) then everybody gets pissed and hard earned Reputations can be shattered.

Lack of parts really held up KTM's growth back in the early 2000's. I guess it's better now ... but I no longer own any KTM's so really can't say. I am currently on the 2nd week waiting for a bolt and spacer for my Tiger 1050.
It's a week over the promised day.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:42 PM   #8042
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassfisher View Post
Can anyone tell me what the outside diameter is on the Triumph heated grips?
I am looking for grips with a small diameter.
I had some Oxford grips but they are much bigger than stock grips.
I just picked up a set today, they are approximately 1.375 inches OD.
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:11 PM   #8043
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
New bike sales make up a small part of a dealer's income. I agree, it's a lot to pay for training but it's not as simple as figuring how many new bikes they will sell as a result.
My point is not that the training expense will pay off or not, it is that we don't know the dealer's cost structure or how they run their business, so we shouldn't be too quick to pass judgment on a dealer that can't ante up to some of these expensive programs. It's their business and their money and they know a lot more than we do. Notwithstanding other information to the contrary, I respect their judgment.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:34 PM   #8044
KLM 3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Paying for training is a big expense for sure. But as mentioned ... dealers make far more on service than on sales. So having a good shop with certified mechanics means happy customers. This can pay dividends will into the future. Consider it an investment.

Still ... it's a lot to come with for the dealer. Maybe they work these costs into the monthly flooring nut or something? Dunno ? I'm friends with two dealers but I rarely stick my nose into their business. We drink beer and ride mostly! They hate talking shop ... until drunk ... (then the truth comes out!!! )

But Triumph have to hold up their end as well. If a dealer can't get parts or proper info on "fixes" (like with so many BMW dealers) then everybody gets pissed and hard earned Reputations can be shattered.

Lack of parts really held up KTM's growth back in the early 2000's. I guess it's better now ... but I no longer own any KTM's so really can't say. I am currently on the 2nd week waiting for a bolt and spacer for my Tiger 1050.
It's a week over the promised day.
The guy I was talking to mentioned that the cost was in the neighborhood of $10,000 for them to get the training done. That seems awful steep, but I guess with all the travel, lodging and whatever else, it adds up quick.

I got the impression they'd rather just sell more Harleys and Bimmers.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:24 AM   #8045
Midpack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Colorado ride

Just returned from a seven day trip wandering around some of Colorado's scenic roads, three of which were spent with kids and grand kids. 2173 miles of bliss. The last day, the longest was 773 miles, two thirds of which were back roads thru southern Colorado and northern New Mexico. The Tiger did great. Mileage with the Jesse bags was 51-53 mpg at 60-75mph and down to 48-50 mpg up to 85 mph. The Jesse bags were tested water tight in a downpour between Hitchcock and Carbondale, then again over the pass in Rocky Mountain National Park with a snow flurry (August?) thrown in. The stock seat felt pretty comfy for the first 400 miles or so, then with alternating heights between high, low, and front high/rear low I finished off the 700+ mile day fairly well. I had the stock Battle Wings on, they stuck well in the corners surprising some sport bike riders and good in the rain. They did keep me from trying 110 out of Silverton and another planned route since the local riders deemed more aggressive tire were needed. I have 4960 miles racked up, no stalling issues, but have noticed the front end clunk. I'll tighten up the head bearing when I go to install the heated grip kit. I have a Ducati ST2 and a DR650, the 800XC is the riding position/maneuverability of the DR with the quality/ power of the ST2. I couldn't imagine riding those State and National Parks at 40mph or so in traffic with the ST2.
Attached Images

Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:31 AM   #8046
PaulSF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Just returned from a seven day trip wandering around some of Colorado's scenic roads, three of which were spent with kids and grand kids. 2173 miles of bliss. The last day, the longest was 773 miles, two thirds of which were back roads thru southern Colorado and northern New Mexico. The Tiger did great. Mileage with the Jesse bags was 51-53 mpg at 60-75mph and down to 48-50 mpg up to 85 mph. The Jesse bags were tested water tight in a downpour between Hitchcock and Carbondale, then again over the pass in Rocky Mountain National Park with a snow flurry (August?) thrown in. The stock seat felt pretty comfy for the first 400 miles or so, then with alternating heights between high, low, and front high/rear low I finished off the 700+ mile day fairly well. I had the stock Battle Wings on, they stuck well in the corners surprising some sport bike riders and good in the rain. They did keep me from trying 110 out of Silverton and another planned route since the local riders deemed more aggressive tire were needed. I have 4960 miles racked up, no stalling issues, but have noticed the front end clunk. I'll tighten up the head bearing when I go to install the heated grip kit. I have a Ducati ST2 and a DR650, the 800XC is the riding position/maneuverability of the DR with the quality/ power of the ST2. I couldn't imagine riding those State and National Parks at 40mph or so in traffic with the ST2.

Great report. That last day was a very long day in the saddle by anyone's measure. I am generally not a fan of hard bags, but those Jessie bags sure look good ...
PaulSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:12 PM   #8047
SierraADV
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Just returned from a seven day trip wandering around some of Colorado's scenic roads, three of which were spent with kids and grand kids. 2173 miles of bliss.ST2.
Wow, that's a great picture of the terrain!
Old 08-18-2011, 03:25 PM   #8048
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,778
Quote:
Just returned from a seven day trip wandering around some of Colorado's scenic roads, ........

I have a Ducati ST2 and a DR650, the 800XC is the riding position/maneuverability of the DR with the quality/ power of the ST2. I couldn't imagine riding those State and National Parks at 40mph or so in traffic with the ST2.
Great report and super photo to back it up.

The more I hear about how these Tiger 800s are working out the more I'm inspired to replace my KLR650 with one next year. I'm thinking they will have any small bugs worked out for the next year's model and hopefully my finances will be in a slightly better position. If I'm "lucky" there might even be some deals on them considering they won't be first year out models.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:57 PM   #8049
SierraADV
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Eye Candy (back roads to Yosemite)

Video snap shots from our ride to Yosemite via the back roads, on and off road. About 18 hours of riding over two days, it was a blast!

Surprisingly, the stock tires handled better than I expected. I do some extreme dirt bike riding on my CRF450R and these tires did okay on the nasty trail.

This is actually a decline:

Looking back up the trail:

Old 08-18-2011, 07:15 PM   #8050
Cariboo_kid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Fabulous pics This must put to rest any concerns that the Tigers can't handle the rough stuff. Those are some serious rocks.
Cariboo_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:21 PM   #8051
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cariboo_kid View Post
Fabulous pics This must put to rest any concerns that the Tigers can't handle the rough stuff. Those are some serious rocks.
Brian you know they can handle the rough stuff and the slippery stuff too
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:57 PM   #8052
pwrcat
Can I buy a vowel?

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Those are the smaller Jesse bags, right? Had the Safari bags on an 800GS, and want to get the same for my 800XC, but can't seem to find them listed on the interweb. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:12 PM   #8053
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,264
Safari are 9 inch now

http://www.xplorermoto.com/safari650.html

Jesse does not sell the 8 inch safari bags anymore, they are 9 inch
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:49 AM   #8054
RodT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Heated grips question?

I have a set of heated grips on my 800XC, and when used on high, they make the throttle stick, has anybody else noticed this? They were installed by the dealer when i bought the bike. I used them on my last ride, and it was kind of scary when you backed off the throttle, you had to force it off, it wouldn't return on it's own (cruise control). Any Ideas? Rod
Old 08-19-2011, 09:53 AM   #8055
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodT View Post
I have a set of heated grips on my 800XC, and when used on high, they make the throttle stick, has anybody else noticed this? They were installed by the dealer when i bought the bike. I used them on my last ride, and it was kind of scary when you backed off the throttle, you had to force it off, it wouldn't return on it's own (cruise control). Any Ideas? Rod
I'll be installing my own this weekend so I'll have to pay close attention to this.
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote