Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2011, 09:03 PM   #241
xcgates
Whaaa?

Oddometer: 1,782
I'm reminded of every time I bitch about some dumbass moving right to turn right, then swinging left before turning right, like they are hauling some huge trailer, and are not in a normal car.

Home is where the skid lid sits.
xcgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:13 AM   #242
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgates View Post
I'm reminded of every time I bitch about some dumbass moving right to turn right, then swinging left before turning right, like they are hauling some huge trailer, and are not in a normal car.
we get that a lot around here, too. and the thing is, those people tend to come to almost a complete stop to execute the turn anyway, so there isn't really any need to straighten it out.

i guess a lot of cars these days come from the factory with steering wheels that will only rotate about 45 degrees in each direction (and no turn signals, of course).
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:10 AM   #243
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,819
Not on the bike but in a car, yesterday about to turn off into the rich-rich section of town, I pull into the center turn lane before some guy in a brand new Merc "BlueTooth" or some chit...

Not even close, or close to overtaking, he finally gets the picture and guess it was the right time for his majesty, so he gets in. He's evidently not happy I went in sooner than him, b/c he's looking in his mirror at me and mouthing something...

Unaware of the gap he can use and turn, b/c he's too busy giving me a what-fer... I blow the horn (I know) to tell him to look ahead and that he could go.

Well too late at that point, and the horn stirred his desire to be right and argue even more... As his head's out of the window and he's yelling something at me. With my window up and the AC on, I couldn't quite hear...

He finally goes and holding his phone up gestures he's gonna call the cops...

Like most moron's here, he gets to his 1st turn off and signal-less abruptly slams on the brakes & turns into it to get me to go around...

I bet that was a fun call to explain when or if he even made it.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:15 AM   #244
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,890
On the way home yesterday I see a white BMW sedan dart out of the far left lane in heavy traffic on the interstate to get in the lane next to me (I'm in the middle lane at the moment). Then I hear a loud siren. "Oh, he's getting out of the way of an LEO or something," I think.

Immediately after the BMW moves over, a blue Taurus flies by, nearly on the left shoulder with a loud siren and wig wag lights going....and has no government plate or light bar or lights in the rear window or anything official looking! WTF? Had my wife call the cops (we were in the cage) and report that I thought there was somebody impersonating an LEO to get people to move out of the way...what a dick.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:57 AM   #245
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 17,927
Dodged a mattress and dresser sliding down the highway at 65m/h last night.

Some dumbass in a pickup didn't secure the load of crap he was hauling.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:50 AM   #246
Dilligaf0220
Miserablist

Oddometer: 4,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMule View Post
Dodged a mattress and dresser sliding down the highway at 65m/h last night.

Some dumbass in a pickup didn't secure the load of crap he was hauling.
Shovel this morning, sitting in the right lane on top of a 120' foot tall bridge. Think I picked up a puncture swerving into the shoulder, the woman behind me that just slammed on her brakes 0.3 milliseconds before ploughing into it wasn't so lucky. It's a long arse way down.

View Larger Map

The real WTF is that this is the third time I've almost hit some tool sitting on that stretch of highway (second shovel and a fucking ladder). State maintenance truck was sitting at the bottom of the bridge just looking back at all the carnage. They got a double fisted salute.
Dilligaf0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:06 PM   #247
King_Panther13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Turning Left... Stage yourself to the Left. A rider should telegraph their intentions as much as possible to help other motorists. It is simple non verbal communication.

Moving to the right before making a left makes no sense.

It was all in one movement. I tend to move the opposite direction shortly before initiating my turn while on a motorcycle. If they had any sense, they'd see my left blinker. I feel like I have a bit more control over the turn and that I can go a little bit faster if I take it wide like that. I was assuming that the moron behind me would understand, seeing as how every wannabe rider out here tends to go wide into the oncoming lane just to make a turn...not to mention that his callous passing only ended him up behind one of the minivans that had us all moving slow to begin with.
1992 Yamaha Razz "Blackberry"
King_Panther13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:51 PM   #248
MurphCO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
I commute 100 miles a day (50 each way) and have seen some unusual things

1 - a woman eating a bowl of cereal, no hands on the wheel, 80mph on the interstate eating cereal out of a bowl...

2 - a guy driving slow in the passing lane, i go around him on the right and when I come to the window to give him "the look" i see that he is picking his nose and feeding it to his german shepard. I sat there a minute and watched him do it with 3 different boogers....

3 - men wearing dresses or apparently naked, happens every few weeks....

4 - people reading. Book on the steering wheel, reading at 75mph

there's more but those always stick out....

Those of you that commute regularly - do you find that about 80 -90% of the time when you go to pass someone while you are in the passing lane and they are in the right lane that they temporarily speed up as you approach? I am perplexed by this and I don't think people realize they are doing it, but it happens all the time.....then I pass and they slow back down to where they were....its weird, like some primitive response to being approached from the rear or something....
Old 08-18-2011, 03:29 PM   #249
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphCO View Post
1 - a woman eating a bowl of cereal, no hands on the wheel, 80mph on the interstate eating cereal out of a bowl...
didn't see this while commuting, but while walking down a sidewalk a couple months ago.

some guy was riding a scooter down a city street while texting--using both hands. no shit.

he was leaned forward with his forearms resting on the bars and a smartphone in his hands...staring at the screen while furiously typing with both thumbs. all while cruising down carson street at about 25mph. (wearing shorts and flip-flops, of course.)

i really didn't even know what to say.
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:44 PM   #250
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 17,927
Quote:
....i see that he is picking his nose and feeding it to his german shepard...

fuck, mountain dew out the nose... gotta explain this one to coworkers now too
Old 08-18-2011, 06:19 PM   #251
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,317
Quote:
Those of you that commute regularly - do you find that about 80 -90% of the time when you go to pass someone while you are in the passing lane and they are in the right lane that they temporarily speed up as you approach? I am perplexed by this and I don't think people realize they are doing it, but it happens all the time.....then I pass and they slow back down to where they were....its weird, like some primitive response to being approached from the rear or something....
This can make the pass fail when I'm in my main cage (1971 VW Kombi), which has a top speed of 71-72mph on a good day.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:24 AM   #252
Salzig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Here in italy for a bike approaching a red light, it is normal to filter through stopped cars and reach the "pole position". It is legal, until you don't use the opposit lane (read it: "until you don't use too much of the opposit lane" ).
Well, when I stop near the first car, very often it steps haead.
I guess I should be happy they see me.

"A donkey! A donkey! My kingdom for a donkey!"
Salzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:07 AM   #253
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Panther13 View Post
I was assuming that the moron behind me would understand, ...

Famous last words.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:52 AM   #254
davidji
bike curious

Oddometer: 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Panther13 View Post
If they had any sense, they'd see my left blinker.
If they see your left blinker, perhaps they assume you're going to the left, and not swerving right first.
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:33 AM   #255
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,772
IMO there ARE circumstances where swerving out to the right before making a left turn is acceptable, or even preferable. When there is other traffic around you, to whom you should be accurately communicating your intentions, would not be one of those circumstances.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote