User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2011, 06:38 PM   #1
gbagen OP
Litigator

Oddometer: 104
Denver to Anchorage

When is the best time of year to do this? Any advice in general for the trip? I might be doing it alone. What do you think of that?
gbagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:20 PM   #2
KHuddy
Big Sky Country

Oddometer: 2,471
June is our driest month, July is the warmest month, but weather predictions are just scientific wild ass guesses. Why just Anchorage? Los Anchorage is nothing special... just another small city.
KHuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:06 PM   #3
gbagen OP
Litigator

Oddometer: 104
What about bugs (black flies and such) on the way up and while in AK? That matters more than temps.

As to Anchorage, my wife is flying up to meet me there. We will spend a week or so riding together in AK, then she'll fly and I'l ride back South. I'm open to suggestions or routes to share with her. When she's with me, I look for really nice places to stay. 40 years of getting on the back of my bike earns the best hotels, etc..
gbagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:20 PM   #4
Moto-Kafe
Gnarly Entre-manure

Oddometer: 442
Alaska.........what about snow (or worse, ice)?? When does it cease to fall, generally?? Riding in the cold is one thing, but riding on snow-slick roads is another............
Moto-Kafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:32 PM   #5
stickman1432
Crusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 696
I have been there twice in the last 3 years. This year the wife flew up after I went to Dust 2 Dawson and picked her up in Anchorage. From there we went to Hope and Seward, then up to Denali Park, then due to very heavy rain we were forced to go north to Fairbanks instead of the Denali Highway, but when we were on the east side it was dry and after checking into the Tangle River Motel (get the Wolf's Den room great view) we rode about 50+ miles back westbound on the dirt road/Denali Highway. That was great. The next day east and south to Copper center staying at the Princess Hotel ($79 and cheap for Alaska). On this day we also rode to Chitina and around that area. The final ride day was back to Anchorage. That was 5 days of riding and 1400+ miles and she never complained with rain on each day but nothing too bad. That was late June to July 4th.

The time has nothing to do with a guaranteed nice ride or weather just come prepared and you will have fun, no matter what.

Oh yea I was on a 2008 GS that had Tourances and even with TKCs the Denali Highway would have been shit in the heavy rain solo, so 2up would have been foolish at the time. Wait a little for the rain to stop and it should dry up fast. Also you could do Hatcher Pass.........have fun..........

R1200GS-08', WR250R-08'
XR650R-03', 110 Honda-83'
stickman1432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:15 PM   #6
goatman64
Rider

Oddometer: 87
Sorry to glob on to your thread but given the popularity of this route is there a sticky or good summary thread on advrider? I've searched around advrider and find lots of individual threads and reports. I know, lazy...

We are in the initial phases of planning for a 2012 mid June Denver to Prudhoe Bay run. PM me for details.

Thanks

goatman64 screwed with this post 08-17-2011 at 09:20 PM
goatman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:55 AM   #7
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by goatman64 View Post
Sorry to glob on to your thread but given the popularity of this route is there a sticky or good summary thread on advrider? I've searched around advrider and find lots of individual threads and reports. I know, lazy...

We are in the initial phases of planning for a 2012 mid June Denver to Prudhoe Bay run. PM me for details.

Thanks
Probably one of the best ride reports of a trip to Alaska that I've come across in a long while (well illustrated, as well) is this one: Key West to Deadhorse Since the rider (Denis) started in Florida quite a bit of the earlier part won't apply to you, and as he had the freedom to spend a lot of time on this trip he managed to do a lot of exploring along the way. But his report will give you a lot of information about the main route, as well as possible side trips going and coming.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote