Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2011, 09:25 AM   #1
CowFeeder OP
Cowfeeder

Oddometer: 2
Mn - ak - fl - mn

First-time poster, long-time lurker.

Planning to ride from Minnesota to Prudhoe Bay, AK then straight to Key West, FL and back to MN. Will be riding with ADVCAV in July 2011. We will attempt to avoid the interstates when possible and camping most of the time.

If anyone would like to recommend a route or part of a route it would be appreciated. Also campsites/lodging or photo ops. Will not be posting the specific route because there isn't one. GPS will not be part of this trip, compass/map only.

If you see us, give us a nod. Orange/black 800GS and silver/red GSA. Sorry, no electronics on this trip so no updates along the way.

Drink milk!

'10 F800GS
CowFeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:03 PM   #2
IslandMonkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Can't help with the info mate as I'm 'across the pond' but have a great trip and welcome from a fellow noob.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:28 AM   #3
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Oddometer: 3,196
Last year went from WI to AK. There is only a few routes. I went through the Columbia Icefields on the way up, though 16 is quicker. I came back down on the west side of the Rockies, taking Canada 1 east and coming back down in MT and getting on US2. I came down on the west side because I took BC37, Cassiar Hwy.

Depending where you are in MN, I would take I 94 to ND or MT. I went up through ND.

You can take Canada 1 across to Banff, then go through the Icefields, to Jasper, to Dawson Creek and the start of the Alaska Hwy.

There are only a few main roads.

foreign lands and alien birds, hear stories that no ones heard-D.A.D.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Zerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:15 PM   #4
wgabriel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
WOW, Thats defiantly a detour on your trip to Key West

That said,, If you get that far and happen to be in Vancouver BC give me a yell and I'll buy you a beer as your probably needing one

2007 R1200GSA

wgabriel screwed with this post 04-09-2011 at 11:08 PM
wgabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:57 PM   #5
AdvCav
Stay Alive - Stay Aware

Oddometer: 42
!

"Detour" is a good way to put it.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:48 AM   #6
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
We are leaving July 1st from Homestead FLA. Planning on interstates the first 3 days to get north. Homestead to Chattanooga to Quad Cities Iowa area to Red Desert WY. Cutting north from there into Idaho and into Canada from ID to Cranbrook BC, up 93 through Banff and Jasper, onto to 16 and Prince George, continuing to the Cassier and then up to the ALCAN. Fairbanks then Deadhorse round trip, then down to at least Denali, maybe Anchorage, loop back to Tok and then onto the Top of the World Highway, then the Campbell and into Watson Lake. Down through Edmonton and Calgary, into the US east of Glacier NP, across the Going to the Sun Road and onto Missoula. South Down 93 across the top of the US rockies and down to Arco, ID. From there the route is up for grabs depending on time left to get back to south FLA.

Ride safe and maybe see on the way. Silver/Gold GSA and a Red/Black GSA.
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:10 PM   #7
CCjon
HighHorse Rider

Oddometer: 521
CF
Go for it, you will never regret it. The worst possible inconvenience that could happen on the trip will end up being one of the best days of your life.

If you need any mechanical assistance or tires, etc, in Fairbanks, the guys at Adventure Cycleworks are topnotch, fair priced and very helpful.

Rode from Texas to Prudhoe Bay then down to Key West last September. This was my fourth trip to Alaska, second on two wheels. You can read the details in the Ride Report link below.

Ride safe and long.
CCjon

Ride Report: Texas to Deadhorse to Key West in September
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...3#post14695553
CCjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:12 AM   #8
bike&run
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLARider1 View Post
We are leaving July 1st from Homestead FLA. Planning on interstates the first 3 days to get north. Homestead to Chattanooga to Quad Cities Iowa area to Red Desert WY. Cutting north from there into Idaho and into Canada from ID to Cranbrook BC, up 93 through Banff and Jasper, onto to 16 and Prince George, continuing to the Cassier and then up to the ALCAN. Fairbanks then Deadhorse round trip, then down to at least Denali, maybe Anchorage, loop back to Tok and then onto the Top of the World Highway, then the Campbell and into Watson Lake. Down through Edmonton and Calgary, into the US east of Glacier NP, across the Going to the Sun Road and onto Missoula. South Down 93 across the top of the US rockies and down to Arco, ID. From there the route is up for grabs depending on time left to get back to south FLA.

Ride safe and maybe see on the way. Silver/Gold GSA and a Red/Black GSA.
How many days are you planning? I'll be in Anchorage the last week of July and I'm also planning to do Top of the World, Watson Lake, Cassiar, then try to check off as many national parks and scenic byways as I can through MT, ID, WY, UT. I'll be on a blue GS.
bike&run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 03:08 PM   #9
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowFeeder View Post
If anyone would like to recommend a route or part of a route it would be appreciated. Also campsites/lodging or photo ops. Will not be posting the specific route because there isn't one. GPS will not be part of this trip, compass/map only.
How long do you intend to be on the road? That will make a difference in suggestions for routing. If you only have three weeks, for example, you probably wouldn't want to go north via Goose Bay, Labrador and return along the California coast.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 05:21 PM   #10
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by bike&run View Post
How many days are you planning? I'll be in Anchorage the last week of July and I'm also planning to do Top of the World, Watson Lake, Cassiar, then try to check off as many national parks and scenic byways as I can through MT, ID, WY, UT. I'll be on a blue GS.

31 days. Rough plan is leaving 7/1/11 and taking 10 days up, 10 days to ride the northland and 10 days to get back. We should be back in the US and heading roughly towards home the last week of July. Have to return to work reality on 8/1/11

2007 silver/gold and 2009 red/black both GSAs
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 05:40 PM   #11
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,359
Here's a pretty good site for the US highway system.
http://www.us-highways.com/

Quote:
"Life doesn't happen along the interstates. It's against the law." -- William Least Heat Moon, Blue Highways
Iron Butt #35784
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:38 PM   #12
AdvCav
Stay Alive - Stay Aware

Update

Thanks for all of the advice - we will be departing around the 2nd weekend in July.

Looks like there will be plenty of riders to be on the lookout for. We will return your wave.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:38 PM   #13
AdvCav
Stay Alive - Stay Aware

Mission Complete!

26 Days. 13,000 miles. Prudhoe to Key West and back home. Bikes ran well - no issues. Worst roads (by far) were in Southern Saskatchewan. Weather was everything from soaking wet and freezing-ass cold to hot-as-blazes and soaking-wet humid. Did the whole thing on TCK-80s (3 rears/2 fronts). Did pretty good at stayting off the interstate until it got really hot in Missouri.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:10 AM   #14
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,773
Good to hear.

Was wondering if Saskatchewan had done any road work since I spent a couple of days riding across their southern highways in '05. Sounds like not. After a few hundred miles of ruts, bumps, and poorly done patches, I cut over to Alberta, where oil taxes pay for better pavement.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote