Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2011, 10:11 AM   #23971
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
I have a NoToil air filter and do not recall anything going through the filter( could be I am forgetting it). I use the stock cage in the inside and stock locking down mechanism on the outside. Shape of cage and hole in airbox holds everything snuggly in place.
Thanks. So you didn't use the black plastic cage that came with the No Toil? Any particular reason?
GotMojo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:17 AM   #23972
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotMojo? View Post
Thanks. So you didn't use the black plastic cage that came with the No Toil? Any particular reason?
If it came with one..I probably used it. I honestly can't remember if mine did or not. I could have sworn I just used the stock one..since I had to clean off the petrochemical based oil that Yamaha used. I am due for a cleaning soon..so I'll know for sure then and report back.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:21 AM   #23973
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
If it came with one..I probably used it. I honestly can't remember if mine did or not. I could have sworn I just used the stock one..since I had to clean off the petrochemical based oil that Yamaha used. I am due for a cleaning soon..so I'll know for sure then and report back.
Thanks. I just thought it was odd No Toil put a hole in the filter if there was nothing to go through it and hold the filter on. If the filter moved around at all, dirt might be able to go through that hole, and that's why I was wondering if something was different about the cage I got with this filter.
GotMojo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:23 AM   #23974
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotMojo? View Post
Thanks. I just thought it was odd No Toil put a hole in the filter if there was nothing to go through it and hold the filter on. If the filter moved around at all, dirt might be able to go through that hole, and that's why I was wondering if something was different about the cage I got with this filter.
I'll be pulling bike out tomorrow night to get ready for weekend riding. I'll look into it then and see what I did.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:32 AM   #23975
debaisley
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,424
the super-flo kit that you got comes with its own cage that you are supposed to use , if you just bought the regular no-toil filter you use the stock cage.
debaisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:37 AM   #23976
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,187
Rich or lean

Ok, so aside from looking at the plug, how can we tell if the bike is running too rich or too lean?

I have an FMF pipe, no EXUP and the FMF Fuel programmer.

Through tip overs, and dumps, I've never had an issue starting, and the bike seems to run well on the highway and single track trails.....
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:40 AM   #23977
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by debaisley View Post
the super-flo kit that you got comes with its own cage that you are supposed to use , if you just bought the regular no-toil filter you use the stock cage.
makes sense..this is the one I bought:

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/pr...FamilyId=15516
Old 08-18-2011, 11:02 AM   #23978
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,224
Heading to Bass Lake this afternoon to ride in the Stewards of the Sierra Fundraiser this weekend:

http://www.dualsportmoto.com/boards/...p?p=2488#p2488

Bass Lake is STILL my favorite place to ride in CA......tough to beat riding at the edge of Yosemite......GIANT trees, lush forests/ferns, stream crossings, etc......

Whiskey Falls:

http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:52 AM   #23979
cinco
bageldog

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
Heading to Bass Lake this afternoon to ride in the Stewards of the Sierra Fundraiser this weekend:

http://www.dualsportmoto.com/boards/...p?p=2488#p2488

Bass Lake is STILL my favorite place to ride in CA......tough to beat riding at the edge of Yosemite......GIANT trees, lush forests/ferns, stream crossings, etc......

Whiskey Falls:

Been there years ago - you're right just awesome. There was a real cool little General Store/Diner there - called "The Forks" I think? GREAT food and burgers!

EDIT - Yep, here it is http://www.theforksresort.com/
cinco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:53 AM   #23980
reddirtjoe
thinning the herd.

Oddometer: 1,899
I am trying to thin my herd. Will a wr250r replace a 04DRZ400s,99DR350and a 97KDX220?
Old 08-18-2011, 11:57 AM   #23981
debaisley
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,424
it will certainly replace the drz , and dr350 , if you race , keep the kdx , if not , WR is a fine trail machine.
debaisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:14 PM   #23982
DougZ73
Fading off.........

I went from a 2000 DRZ 400 to the 2010 WR250R, and have not looked back. IMHO, only thing the WRR really needed was a shock rebuild....if you do any hard style riding.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:26 PM   #23983
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
Ok, so aside from looking at the plug, how can we tell if the bike is running too rich or too lean?...
It's a combination of art and science; a bit seat of the pants "how's it feel with this change" plus dyno runs, exhaust gas and temp. analysis and experience.

I did come across this very cool tool in Motorcycle Consumer News--an NGK air-fuel monitor. It's got a wide-band O2 monitor that'll work from 9.0 - 16.0 afr's, about $260. You'd need to drill and weld the sensor bung into the header pipe, but this seems like a pretty inexpensive way to figure out exactly what's going on with fuel delivery over the full range of throttle settings.

http://sparkplugs.com/more_info.asp?AAIA=&pid=20509

I'm no expert, but from others who are you're looking for afr's in the range of 13.0 : 1 for best performance, below the ideal 14.7 : 1 ratio...

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:35 PM   #23984
bhd1223
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Question Handlebar dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
I'm no expert, but from others who are you're looking for afr's in the range of 13.0 : 1 for best performance, below the ideal 14.7 : 1 ratio...
Just a note on the 14.7:1 ratio. I'm fairly certain this is the calculated ideal ratio because of the typical standard units used and there are 14.7 psi (pounds per square inch) per atmosphere. 14.7 psi : 1 atm

So now onto my question. I just received my new bars and associated odds and ends but I noticed a problem. The inside diameter of the new bars are too small for the old bar end hand guard attachment. Am I supposed to remove the rubber sleeve for it to fit or find one slimmer? I'm going from the stock bars to Tusk Chub bars and use Tusk D-Flex hand guards. Maybe now is the time to spring for Cycras with a triple clamp mount? Will I run into the same problem with those?

Thanks for any help you can provide with my dilemma.
Keeping the Vulcan for now. The ladies seem to love it.
bhd1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:41 PM   #23985
freetors
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 845
Are there any companies that sell springs for our suspension? Specifically for the forks. I only weigh about 145 with gear and I'm only getting about 1.5-2 inches of sag on the front. The forks seem pretty harsh on almost all bumps and they are not very supple or plush. The rear spring is a little too stiff but I was able to get the proper amount of sag on the rear, albeit it s near the limit of preload adjustment.

I'm more of a DIYer so dont tell me to just send my stuff off to some suspension tuner. I dont feel like a complete shock rebuild or anything like that are necessary for me now.
freetors is offline   Reply With Quote