Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2011, 02:41 PM   #23986
freetors
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 747
Are there any companies that sell springs for our suspension? Specifically for the forks. I only weigh about 145 with gear and I'm only getting about 1.5-2 inches of sag on the front. The forks seem pretty harsh on almost all bumps and they are not very supple or plush. The rear spring is a little too stiff but I was able to get the proper amount of sag on the rear, albeit it s near the limit of preload adjustment.

I'm more of a DIYer so dont tell me to just send my stuff off to some suspension tuner. I dont feel like a complete shock rebuild or anything like that are necessary for me now.
freetors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:51 PM   #23987
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhd1223 View Post
Just a note on the 14.7:1 ratio. I'm fairly certain this is the calculated ideal ratio because of the typical standard units used and there are 14.7 psi (pounds per square inch) per atmosphere. 14.7 psi : 1 atm
I don't know if that's just a weird coincidence, or maybe if I took the time to figure out all the unit conversions it would turn out that we're really saying the same thing. Or not.

Anyway, the stoichiometric ratio of 14.7 parts air to 1 part fuel is what would be needed to just exactly burn every bit of fuel, completely. In a perfect world.

Modern fuel management systems try to get the air-fuel ratio as close to that as possible to minimize exhaust pollution, while still providing enough power to satisfy the need for speed. And sacrifice performance in the process. Racers, as an example, don't aim for 14.7 to 1.

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:56 PM   #23988
bhd1223
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by freetors View Post
Are there any companies that sell springs for our suspension? Specifically for the forks. I only weigh about 145 with gear and I'm only getting about 1.5-2 inches of sag on the front. The forks seem pretty harsh on almost all bumps and they are not very supple or plush. The rear spring is a little too stiff but I was able to get the proper amount of sag on the rear, albeit it s near the limit of preload adjustment.

I'm more of a DIYer so dont tell me to just send my stuff off to some suspension tuner. I dont feel like a complete shock rebuild or anything like that are necessary for me now.
How did you get the proper sag in the rear? I'm about 180+ with gear and can't get close to static sag but have good free sag at the maximum spring length/minimum preload adjustment. Preload is the 8.5" max spring length as specified in the service manual. I'm about 1" (25mm) or a little less in free sag and 2.25-2.5" static sag. I'd like to be more around 3.25-3.5" static sag. We do have 10.6" of travel so 1/3 is around 3.5"
Keeping the Vulcan for now. The ladies seem to love it.

bhd1223 screwed with this post 08-18-2011 at 03:48 PM
bhd1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:39 PM   #23989
freetors
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
How did you get the proper sag in the rear? I'm about 180+ with gear and can't get close to static sag but have good free sag at the max(soft) preload adjustment. Preload is the 8.5" spring length as specified in the service manual. I'm about 1" (25mm) or a little less in free sag and 2.25-2.5" static sag. I'd like to be more around 3.25-3.5" static sag. We do have 10.6" of travel so 1/3 is around 3.5"
I only take two measurements when I set my sag: with the suspension completely unloaded and with my weight on it. I measured from the top of the swingarm directly above the axle up to the top of the helmet lock simply because its easy to measure from those points while sitting on the bike.

I've never measured "free sag". Would somebody like to explain the significance to me?

I have between .25 and .5 in of threads left at the top of the shock but am getting 3.5" sag at the wheel. With the shock in the stock preload setting I had about 2.5" of sag. At first I thought I would have to take the preload to the minimum but that gave me roughly 4" of static sag and felt really wonky just sitting on it.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:44 PM   #23990
Machtig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
V2r 2011

Hi all. I'm in Vegas and just checked in for the Vegas to Reno race. I'll be on the trusty WRR, #O31, Ironman Expert. The expert part, thats funny My goal is to not get run over by trophy trucks and to finish in 15hrs or less. Its 550 somthing miles long fyi. Bike is stripped to the bare necessities. I'm running Michelin Deserts with a HD Michelin tube in the rear and a Michelin BIB Mousse up front. I've got two spare air filters, a spare chain slider, and a spare fuel pump.

You can track my progress HERE enter password: wr250r and if it asks you to open page securely, click NO I should leave the start line around 0630 pacific time, maybe later as my lucky self drew next to last starting position in my class.

I'll post more pics later, I've never been to a race this big. This is going to be a riot.
Machtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:47 PM   #23991
bhd1223
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetors View Post
I only take two measurements when I set my sag: with the suspension completely unloaded and with my weight on it. I measured from the top of the swingarm directly above the axle up to the top of the helmet lock simply because its easy to measure from those points while sitting on the bike.

I've never measured "free sag". Would somebody like to explain the significance to me?

I have between .25 and .5 in of threads left at the top of the shock but am getting 3.5" sag at the wheel. With the shock in the stock preload setting I had about 2.5" of sag. At first I thought I would have to take the preload to the minimum but that gave me roughly 4" of static sag and felt really wonky just sitting on it.
If you are getting the proper static sag then I think you are beyond the allowable maximum spring length/minimum preload as stated in the service manual. I did this myself when setting my sag but then checked the spring length and it was longer than the maximum so I shortened up to the max length/min preload and am where I sit now.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:51 PM   #23992
bhd1223
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machtig View Post
Hi all. I'm in Vegas and just checked in for the Vegas to Reno race. I'll be on the trusty WRR, #O31, Ironman Expert. The expert part, thats funny My goal is to not get run over by trophy trucks and to finish in 15hrs or less. Its 550 somthing miles long fyi. Bike is stripped to the bare necessities. I'm running Michelin Deserts with a HD Michelin tube in the rear and a Michelin BIB Mousse up front. I've got two spare air filters, a spare chain slider, and a spare fuel pump.

You can track my progress HERE enter password: wr250r and if it asks you to open page securely, click NO I should leave the start line around 0630 pacific time, maybe later as my lucky self drew next to last starting position in my class.

I'll post more pics later, I've never been to a race this big. This is going to be a riot.
Good luck bud. Sadly I didn't get my Rē until a couple years after leaving Vegas. The only thing I rode around there was my mini KLX110. The desert is a riot. Have fun and stay safe.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:51 PM   #23993
cinco
bageldog

Oddometer: 162
Quote:

You need to do a Ride Report on this one! Good luck!
cinco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:00 PM   #23994
freetors
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
If you are getting the proper static sag then I think you are beyond the allowable maximum spring length/minimum preload as stated in the service manual. I did this myself when setting my sag but then checked the spring length and it was longer than the maximum so I shortened up to the max length/min preload and am where I sit now.
Well I checked my "free sag" with my current 3.5" static sag and I get a whopping 1.75"- I think I'll go and check my spring length. Its looking like I need softer springs with more preload. But my front suspension bothers me more.

EDIT: I'm right at the soft preload limit of 8.5" of spring length.

freetors screwed with this post 08-18-2011 at 04:05 PM
Old 08-18-2011, 04:18 PM   #23995
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Oddometer: 9,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machtig
Hi all. I'm in Vegas and just checked in for the Vegas to Reno race. I'll be on the trusty WRR, #O31, Ironman Expert.

I'll be watching. Good luck.

emerson.biguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:19 PM   #23996
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinco View Post
You need to do a Ride Report on this one! Good luck!
Agreed!
GotMojo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:46 PM   #23997
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
...here several months ago in this thread. Mine is a 2010 model. A buddy who showed me how to access the CO mode has a 2008 model and the procedure was the same. I have no idea if there's anything in the shop manual about this. I have one, but never looked. Just followed my buddy's instructions. He'd had his set up like this for about a year or longer when we did mine in February.

We did have to jump a wire to ground from the lean angle sensor to allow us to access the onboard diagnostics mode.
I followed the instructions you posted and they worked like a charm. My bike was at -1 from the factory and I bumped it up to +2. No more lean surging.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:53 PM   #23998
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayjars View Post
I followed the instructions you posted and they worked like a charm. My bike was at -1 from the factory and I bumped it up to +2. No more lean surging.
Glad it worked for you. Were I you, I'd still pull the plug and have a look for peace of mind. Mine was perfect. YRMV.

Mind you, I'm not saying this is the "only" or "right" way. But it's worked for me for almost 8K miles without issue.
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:25 PM   #23999
trav72
I can't ride where?

Oddometer: 852
Thanks to Simmons1 for trading his Safari for my IMS. For the type of riding I do the IMS was just to much tank. I think the Safari will be perfect for me. He lives down in TX so the IMS will give him the much needed fuel capacity for his area. It was the perfect trade!

I went from this 2 weeks ago

To this last weekend

And finally to this tonight. I think I'm done changing its 'clothes' for a while. It's tiring enough changing it's shoes twice a week.
trav72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:26 PM   #24000
trav72
I can't ride where?

Oddometer: 852
Quote:
Good luck and ride safe!! I'll look forward to the ride report!
trav72 is offline   Reply With Quote