Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2011, 09:47 AM   #24061
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmajors View Post
With that setup where is your extra gas since you don't have a bigger tank. I don't either and don't really want one. Your pictures were really helpful. Thank you! Also, what are those pole things hanging on your bike?
I have the IMS 3.1 tank and carried 2 MSR 30oz fuel bottles in the right side enduro saddle bag (along with a spare front and rear tube, tool kit, patch kit, emergency stand, spare levers and shifter, oil filter, spark plug, and a bottle of HEET for fuel for my alcohol stove). I'm good for about 200 miles of trails and 175 miles of pavement with that setup.

The pole thingy was my surfboard rack, I was planning on renting boards as I went down the coast but except for one day when I had to catch a ferry it was Lake Atlantic.

RE: tools and other pokey things, I took and old pair of blue jeans and cut up one of the legs to make a tool wrap, then cut another strip to make a tie for it. Super durable so far and makes it easy to keep everything together when doing trailside maintenance. Lay the tools in the middle, fold the ends over, then roll like a burrito, tie the strap with a half hitch. As far as beer goes, buy cans.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:47 AM   #24062
reddirtjoe
thinning the herd.

Oddometer: 1,898
Originally Posted by jtmajors
On the outside a KTM is sexy. It's like that drop dead gorgeous girl you meet for the first time. Spend a little time with her and you discover she's really a prostitute with a lot of issues and baggage waiting to give you vd and take all your money.

Does that mean its made in Brazil now?
Old 08-22-2011, 09:52 AM   #24063
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,900
I know... I know...

Quote:
On the outside a KTM is sexy. It's like that drop dead gorgeous girl you meet for the first time, however spend a little time with her and you discover she's really a prostitute with a lot of issues and baggage waiting to give you vd and take all your money. No thanks! For now I'm sticking with old faithful. Haha!
But we always clamor all over ourselves to open a door for those kinds of women in spite of what better judgement might be.

I used to feel that way about KTMs too. Then my neighbor and another buddy with 950 Adventures rolled up 35K plus miles each with no real issues. Then last April I bought a 950 SE and since have put almost 20K miles on it with no problems whatsoever. That beast is pure pleasure to ride (on all but tight single track).

So I'm not gonna bash the new orange bike just because she's a purdy thing. Sometimes good looks and good personality can come in the same package.

Now, about the price... well that's another issue!
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:59 AM   #24064
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,891
Yup, my local KTM dealer is showing an MSRP of $9500 for it. That's $3000 more than the WR250R, but the "waah its just a heavy 250!" crowd will get their horsepower and lower weight and admittedly a better suspension from the factory. Hell, its only $200 less than the 500EXC and is $300 more than the 400. Will KTM sell them? Maybe, and if they do it might be the only hope we have of seeing a larger displacement WRR.

Not that it matters, as the WR250R and X appear to be gone from Yamaha's lineup in 2012. Maybe they're holding off for a year to bring a new model in 2013?
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:11 AM   #24065
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd View Post
...Maybe, and if they do it might be the only hope we have of seeing a larger displacement WRR.
agreed

Quote:
Not that it matters, as the WR250R and X appear to be gone from Yamaha's lineup in 2012. Maybe they're holding off for a year to bring a new model in 2013?
Why do you say that?

The "2012 Street overview" lists exactly 3 models: The Super Tenere, the XT250 and the TW200. Somehow, I think there are going to be a few more street models offered in 2012. Somebody running the website is guilty of premature optimization. Or something.

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:23 AM   #24066
jtmajors
OCD with motorcycles

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
agreed

Why do you say that?

The "2012 Street overview" lists exactly 3 models: The Super Tenere, the XT250 and the TW200. Somehow, I think there are going to be a few more street models offered in 2012. Somebody running the website is guilty of premature optimization. Or something.
I agree. They haven't put up 2012 R-1s, r-6s or even yzf 450 or 250. There is no way they won't offer 2012 models in those bikes.
2012 triumph tiger 800xc, 2012 ktm 500 xcw plated, 2010 wr 250x (sold), 2009 Crf 450r (sold), 2007 Crf 250r (sold), 2006 Triumph Daytona 675 (sold), 2001 yz 125 (sold), 2000 yz 250 (sold), 1997 yzf 600 (sold), 1996 cr250r (sold), 1992 rm 125 (sold), 1988 Yamaha Virago (sold), 1986 XR 200 (sold), 1984 cr 80r (sold), 1982 xr 80 (sold)
jtmajors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:24 AM   #24067
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,710
Triple Ho-chi-momma!

Finally an EFI - exc

Does it have a steel subframe?

HF

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
Whoa, this is a really nice setup.....maybe I should be going orange...

350 EXC-F: 350 EXC-F 2012

New for 2012:
  • New DOHC EFI engine tuned for enduro riding
  • New longer cylinder and new piston with reduced dome height and lighter weight reducing the compression ratio to 12.3 while outputting smooth enduro engine characteristics
  • New camshafts for improved low-end torque
  • 4 ultra-light titanium valves, new spring retainers and seating washers that allow this bike to peak at 12,000 RPMs
  • New crank shaft with heavier crank webs to provide more inertia for smoother power deliver and better traction
  • New counter balancer shaft with efficient reduction of vibrations
  • Newly developed lightweight single diaphragm spring clutch unit with steel billet basket for unbeatable reliability
  • 6-speed enduro gearbox for precise shifting
  • New electric start system (plus kick start) and stronger 196W stator
  • Completely new frame design with PDS that reduces longitudinal stiffness
  • New one-piece cast aluminium swingarm with excellent flex characteristics
  • New WP PDS mono shock (7mm longer) with new preload adjuster
  • WP 48mm USD forks received new oil and dust seals by SKF and new bushings with improved Teflon coating for better sensitivity and durability
  • New silencer and larger volume spark arrestor for lower noise level
  • New 2.51 gallon/ 9.5 liter translucent fuel tank with integrated fuel pump and regulator
  • Equipped with DOT approved headlight, taillight and turn signal indicators
  • Newly designed taillight and license plate holder with improved durability
  • New intake boot that provides great power and extra protection for Twin-Air filter which still has the same quick change, no-tools access air filter change process
  • New bodywork including a white airbox, white rear number plates, and a redesigned reinforced rear fender for perfect ergonomics and excellent contact points
  • New handguard mount and flag design
  • New black Giant rims with CNC machined hubs, black spokes and silver spoke nipples
  • New integrated routing for the cooling system for better airflow
  • Metzler Six Days Extreme DOT front and rear tires

TECHNICAL DETAILS

Engine
Engine type Single cylinder, 4-stroke
Displacement 349.7 cc
Bore/stroke 88/57.5 mm
Compression ratio 12,3:1
Starter/battery Kick- and electric starter / 12V 4Ah
Transmission 6 gears
Carburetor Keihin EFI, flow restrictor 42 mm
Control 4 V / DOHC with finger followers
Lubrication Pressure lubrication with 2 oil pumps
Gear ratios 14:32 16:26 20:25 22:23 25:22 26:20
Primary ratio 24:73
Final drive 14:52 (13:52)
Cooling Liquid cooling
Clutch Wet multi-disc clutch, Brembo hydraulics
Ignition Keihin EMS
Chassis
Frame Central double-cradle-type 25CrMo4
Subframe Aluminium
Handlebar Neken, Aluminium Ø 28/22 mm
Front suspension WP-USD Ø 48 mm
Rear suspension WP-PDS shock absorber
Suspension travel front/rear 300/335 mm
Front/rear brakes Disc brake Ø 260/220 mm
Front/rear rims 1.60 x 21''; 2.15 x 18'' Excel
Front/rear tires 90/90-21"; 140/80-18"
Chain X-Ring 5/8 x 1/4"
Silencer Aluminium
Steering head angle 63.5°
Wheel base 1,482±10 mm
Ground clearance 345 mm
Seat height 970 mm
Tank capacity, approx. 9.5 l
Weight, without fuel, approx. 107.5 kg
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:55 AM   #24068
jjustj
cum petris et choris

Oddometer: 5,449
Central double-cradle-type 25CrMo4

i want the exc500!!!!

well not sure about SUB frame..

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348508
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489958 Sunday worship, a strap-on, and Does this water taste funny?
jjustj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:16 AM   #24069
GSBS
FunHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjustj View Post
well not sure about SUB frame..
From the specs posted above:

"Subframe Aluminium"
Old 08-22-2011, 11:47 AM   #24070
Jäger
Osons

Oddometer: 790
I don't have a sexy KTM... but my slug of a WR250R seems to get me around a little bit...

If I was a go-fast enduro guy, roosting my way out of every corner, lofting the wheel, and generally working up a good sweat challenging myself and the bike, then maybe I too might suffer from Orange Envy. Or 300/360/450 envy.

But the WRR seems to carry me and my camping gear, flyfishing stuff, cameras, etc, (no Skierd surfboard yet) pretty much everywhere I want to go, without issue or complaint. It does require changing the oil and replacing tires... if KTM can make a bike that eliminates that, then I'm in.

Otherwise, I think I'll just keep trying to wear the WRR out.
Jäger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:49 AM   #24071
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Oddometer: 10,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machtig
I wasnt fast (it took me 20hrs), but I did finish.

Been waiting to hear how it went.

emerson.biguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:51 AM   #24072
Jäger
Osons

Oddometer: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
BTW, I also had a remote preload adjuster added to the rear shock so it's a quick change from regular to camping settings.
More info, please?
Jäger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:52 AM   #24073
bhd1223
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Question Tweaked front end

Well here is the picture from when I first noticed it after riding it again. I can't believe I didn't notice it by just looking at the bike.

By taking the advice of others and just loosening the lower triples I have been able to almost get it straight. I am using the tip of the fender as a reference but am also test riding. Right now the tip is just on the outside of the center TW lug and I still need to hold the bars a little crooked to go straight. By my estimations the tip on the center of the center lug would probably be perfect or as close as I'll be able to tell to perfect. I just can't seem to get the last cm or so of twist. Any advice other than twist harder?
Keeping the Vulcan for now. The ladies seem to love it.
bhd1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:54 AM   #24074
jtmajors
OCD with motorcycles

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Just wondering the best wolfman luggage setup for the wr250x. Looking for opinions between two setups:

1. Wolfman Luggage Racks with wolfman dry saddle bags and dry duffle with 1 or 2 gallon rotopax mounted to the side or rear.
2. Wolfman Mini Beta Plus and Beta Duffle (adding rain covers) with 1 or 2 gallon rotopax mounted to the rear.

Rides will include both riding to a location, setting up camp and doing day trips out coming back to camp while others will include rides where I set up camp only for the night and then pack up and move on.

Any suggestions on either of these set ups before I pull the trigger?
Thanks for all the input. Think I'm gonna go with the mini beta plus with the rain cover. It's simple, less expensive works well based on what others have said. The mini will fit better and challenge me to take less. First ride coming up next weekend. http://texasadventure.net/Beyond%20E...gistration.pdf 6 hours of hwy for me just to get there. After this I may love this bike even more or end up getting a freaking Tenere.
2012 triumph tiger 800xc, 2012 ktm 500 xcw plated, 2010 wr 250x (sold), 2009 Crf 450r (sold), 2007 Crf 250r (sold), 2006 Triumph Daytona 675 (sold), 2001 yz 125 (sold), 2000 yz 250 (sold), 1997 yzf 600 (sold), 1996 cr250r (sold), 1992 rm 125 (sold), 1988 Yamaha Virago (sold), 1986 XR 200 (sold), 1984 cr 80r (sold), 1982 xr 80 (sold)
jtmajors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:58 AM   #24075
GSBS
FunHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jäger View Post
More info, please?
Last year when Travis Jones (of GoRace in Christiansburg VA) did my suspension upgrade, this was one of the mods he did. It does require me to carry a small 8mm socket and extension or similar. It takes eight full turns to go from normal (no camping gear) mode to the max setting that was tuned for the weight of my camping gear. Takes about 10 seconds.

Not sure what the preload mechanism cost by itself. He did a full suspension upgrade - revalved forks, serviced and revalved shock, added a stiffer spring matched to my weight and set the sag and tuned the bike to me as a package deal in addition to the remote preload. And he did it all in a day - dropped off in the a.m. and picked up around 5 p.m., when he set the sag, etc. to tweak it all to me. Cost - 2010 - $1K. Best money I've spent on any bike.