Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2011, 11:06 AM   #24076
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhd1223 View Post
Well here is the picture from when I first noticed it after riding it again. I can't believe I didn't notice it by just looking at the bike.

By taking the advice of others and just loosening the lower triples I have been able to almost get it straight. I am using the tip of the fender as a reference but am also test riding. Right now the tip is just on the outside of the center TW lug and I still need to hold the bars a little crooked to go straight. By my estimations the tip on the center of the center lug would probably be perfect or as close as I'll be able to tell to perfect. I just can't seem to get the last cm or so of twist. Any advice other than twist harder?
It helps to have 2 people. One holds the wheel between their knees and the other straddles the bike and pulls the bars in the direction needed after the pinch bolts are loosened just enough to enable the forks to move.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:09 AM   #24077
bhd1223
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayjars View Post
It helps to have 2 people. One holds the wheel between their knees and the other straddles the bike and pulls the bars in the direction needed after the pinch bolts are loosened just enough to enable the forks to move.
Should I also loosen the uppers a little? Right now I just have the lowers loosened to where I can finger twist the bolts. I'm doing it myself from the front but may be able to get some assistance later.
Keeping the Vulcan for now. The ladies seem to love it.
bhd1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:14 AM   #24078
Jäger
Osons

Oddometer: 785
Another vote for the Giant Loop Coyote. No compartments, but that's the idea behind any of the light soft bags out there. Compartments force their choices and location on you; waterproof bags (even the el cheapo garbage bag) don't.

With thoughtful packing, for backcountry travel only, a Coyote is just fine. It's bulky stuff that will defeat you with a Coyote, so if it is your sleeping bag or a bunch of extra clothes causing the problem, a decent high compression bag or rethinking the clothes you will need will fix that problem. There are smaller soft bag setups out there; the problem is you can always make a slightly big bag smaller with compression straps - but there's no way to make a too-small bag bigger. I do wish the Coyote was slightly larger, about half way between it's current size and it's big brother. I haven't seen the full size Giant Loop up close, and I know some guys have used it on the WRR, but the pics I have seen of it make me think it is just slightly too big for my needs

When I have bulky stuff along - like my flyfishing vest, waders, etc, then The North Face's small Camp Duffel mounted behind the GL works very well. Not a dry bag, but unless you shove it under water and hold it there, it keeps your stuff dry. And has detachable shoulder straps which turn it into a decent knapsack for short hikes away from the bike.

For running around town on the bike, the Wolfman racks and bags do have some appeal. They look much easier for going grocery shopping with, easier to pack than the choreographed sequence of fitting everything in the Coyote, etc. Big bags and little bags both have their respective advantages and disadvantages.

I can't comment on security... in Montana, for a couple of very good reasons, people generally don't mess with other peoples' stuff. I don't worry about leaving stuff on my bike where I live, so security never really enters my mind.

For stuff wearing through soft bags... pack to ensure soft stuff only is against the bags. Anything that doesn't work for... that's why ruined tire tubes are so useful.
Jäger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:17 AM   #24079
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,195
Quote:

Any advice other than twist harder?
Sometimes to get it to go the last inch you need to abandon the knee method and place the tip of the front wheel up against a post or some other immovable object. Place the side of the tire against the post and twist hard. 2 people are better than 1 in a situation like this. You will eventually get it back to where it was. Just don't go beyond where you want it. Make small adjustments.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/212396922304662/
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:35 AM   #24080
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,403
Quote:
Should I also loosen the uppers a little? Right now I just have the lowers loosened to where I can finger twist the bolts. I'm doing it myself from the front but may be able to get some assistance later.
If it were me, I'd loosen everything. Upper and lower triple clamps as well as the front axle. Get everything lined up loose, then start tightening from there. Better than forcing it, imo.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:40 AM   #24081
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jäger View Post
Another vote for the Giant Loop Coyote. No compartments, but that's the idea behind any of the light soft bags out there. Compartments force their choices and location on you; waterproof bags (even the el cheapo garbage bag) don't.

With thoughtful packing, for backcountry travel only, a Coyote is just fine. It's bulky stuff that will defeat you with a Coyote, so if it is your sleeping bag or a bunch of extra clothes causing the problem, a decent high compression bag or rethinking the clothes you will need will fix that problem. There are smaller soft bag setups out there; the problem is you can always make a slightly big bag smaller with compression straps - but there's no way to make a too-small bag bigger. I do wish the Coyote was slightly larger, about half way between it's current size and it's big brother. I haven't seen the full size Giant Loop up close, and I know some guys have used it on the WRR, but the pics I have seen of it make me think it is just slightly too big for my needs

When I have bulky stuff along - like my flyfishing vest, waders, etc, then The North Face's small Camp Duffel mounted behind the GL works very well. Not a dry bag, but unless you shove it under water and hold it there, it keeps your stuff dry. And has detachable shoulder straps which turn it into a decent knapsack for short hikes away from the bike.

For running around town on the bike, the Wolfman racks and bags do have some appeal. They look much easier for going grocery shopping with, easier to pack than the choreographed sequence of fitting everything in the Coyote, etc. Big bags and little bags both have their respective advantages and disadvantages.

I can't comment on security... in Montana, for a couple of very good reasons, people generally don't mess with other peoples' stuff. I don't worry about leaving stuff on my bike where I live, so security never really enters my mind.

For stuff wearing through soft bags... pack to ensure soft stuff only is against the bags. Anything that doesn't work for... that's why ruined tire tubes are so useful.
I use the Giant Loop Coyote bag, the older style that is not 100% waterproof. I love it because once it is on, nothing moves. I can attach other stuff to the outside as well. Great bag.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:49 PM   #24082
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,195
Quote:

Any advice other than twist harder?
If you do end up loosening both triple clamps make sure it is on a stand as the frond end will want to collapse.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/212396922304662/
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:16 PM   #24083
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!

Oddometer: 10,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmajors View Post
I haven't seen those bags. Thanks for bringing them up. Where is the best place to look at buying it? I'm trying to get a setup that works well with this bike since it is smaller. That seems like it would as well.
I am a Giantloop fan too.

This is my little 250 packed up for a 10 day 1600 mile trip.

Works great on the trails...

Mr. Fisherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:02 PM   #24084
bhd1223
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the tips folks. Loosening the uppers allowed me that little bit extra to get it as straight as I can tell without measuring devices or fancy gadgets. The bars appear straight when I'm going straight down the road so I'm thinking all is good.
_____________________Before:______________________ __________________________ After:
Old 08-22-2011, 03:08 PM   #24085
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
From the specs posted above:

"Subframe Aluminium"
Oops....you're right. I missed that. Well, aluminum can be strong. My aluminum frame is pretty strong.

Uh-oh, I smell trouble ahead.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:32 PM   #24086
bhd1223
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb

And now the new bar setup.

Tusk Chub bars w/ YZ bend in black, trimmed down 0.5" in length on each side
Tusk Big bar bar clamp adapters which don't fit perfect but good enough for me for now. They add ~0.75" of height. Fit picture below.
Tusk D-flex handguards(same as before) with Tusk big bar adapter. Had to remove sleeve from bar ends and getting them on with the adapters was a pain. **Next time I have to move them or anything they are coming off and I'm getting a triple clamp mounted set of guards.**
Spider Grips SLX grips. I'm liking them so far.

As installed bar specs:

30.625" L (30 5/8")
~4.25" H - From given information of big bar bar clamp adapter and the Chub YZ bend
~2.23" Pullback - Calculated from rough measurements

As it sits the bars feel to be positioned about as good as they could be. Much better than stock.

Tusk Big bar bar clamp adapter fit picture.

Old bent bars. They are worse then they look in the picture.

bhd1223 screwed with this post 08-22-2011 at 09:38 PM
Old 08-22-2011, 04:04 PM   #24087
jglow
Two wheeled traveler

Oddometer: 348
Took the WR out to the Ouachita N.F. in Southeast Oklahoma to ride the Choctaw Nations Trail (CNT). Thanks Krabill for the tracks that I snatched off of your ride report from your trip with HighFive . And thanks to Bash3r for the help fixing what I broke ( look at all this name dropping).

The short report from the trip is here: Ending the fight, embracing the heat

Jordan
jglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:10 PM   #24088
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Oddometer: 1,142
Talking Stratocaster

"including an electric guitar......"

Wow, I knew about the high-output alternator. but you have truly raised the bar!
what broke now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:59 PM   #24089
10Cup
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,511
Replacement Key?

Guys, searched this forum but came up dry so will ask. Has anyone found a key blank that works with the Yamaha ignition hey? Tried all the Walmart blanks with no luck. As it is I'm on an extended trip and lost my key, do have a spare but would like to get another made while I can.

Any help appreciated
10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:08 PM   #24090
debaisley
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,423
that KTM looks cool , but not sure why we're talking about it here as if its somehow in the same class of bike as the WR. Thats a full fledged race bike , not something you can hop on and cruise across the country without worrying about a thing.
debaisley is offline   Reply With Quote