ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2011, 04:50 PM   #1
Eris OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Favorite camping

Hey all, here's an obnoxious question that I'm sure I'll get flamed for (pulling out the marshmallows). What's your favorite campspot for camping with your bike not too far from Seattle (aka not more than 2-3 hours of leisurely riding) and hopefully not too far from a wifi connection (aka starbucks, mchorribles, whatever)? Was hoping to head up to Corral Pass in the coming weeks and then get some wifi from Crystal but it looks like it's still closed due to snow.

As for the wifi, no, I don't need to stay connected at all times but as someone who can occasionally "work from home" I can extend my time in the woods by an evening by working remotely on a Friday, thus the need for a campground that's not too far away. Leavenworth is a great option but virtually full this time of year. Mountain loop works OK with either the library, my mifi or McD's but likely also pretty crowded. Thus I'm posting here and asking what places I'm missing. Would be leaving after work (3pm-ish) on a Thursday so would prefer to get out of the traffic asap. Would prefer something with others around as my solo camping muscles aren't quite buff enough to completely disconnect from other humans at this point (workin on it).

Thoughts? Would love to see some ideas I've not already tried.
Eris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:47 PM   #2
Rainier_Rider
Gone

Oddometer: 1,560
Hoodsport has Wi-Fi.
Camping up the Hamma Hamma or the state park nearby.
Not my favorite, but it might work for you.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:20 PM   #3
awshouse
Downwardly mobile

Oddometer: 435
Leavenworth?

There are several campgrounds within the Forest service system 1-10 miles from Leavenworth. And you can connect to the interwebs from a locally owned coffee shop/cafe in town. It's located on the south side of 2 maybe 1/4 mile after entering the Leavenworth, right next to the climbing store (!). For campgrounds call the Ranger station, but the ones right up Icicle Creek Rd. (?? or something like that-- the right immediately before you enter Leavenworth) are great. And the hikes there are fantastic. No shortage of ds riding in that area either... The only problem is you'd need to get your a$$ on the road lickity split Friday afternoon to avoid the horrible slow down on 2 heading up to the pass...
awshouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:13 AM   #4
Aquanout
Hooliganantic

Oddometer: 748
Barview, OR. 15 miles or so north of Tillamook on 101. Never really cared about WiFi, so I couldnt tell ya on that one.
Aquanout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:10 AM   #5
Eris OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey all, Thanks. Guess I need to clarify. Leavenworth won't work well as I mentioned in the first post because it's insanely busy this time of year. I was up there camping on June 10th (yup, was trapped by the most recent landslide over the road) and again just a few weeks ago. It's been hard to find a spot there especially with the upper road washed out though that will be fixed likely late this year or early next (it's almost done enough to ride though I suspect I'd get into some significant trouble for that!). My last trip there had a number of people asking me if I was leaving since every single spot at every campground on Icicle Creek road was full. Also to reiterate I'll be leaving Thursday. This often means I beat the weekend rush but I'd rather avoid places where every half hour someone is asking if you're leaving.

A camp spot doesn't have to have wifi but needs to be near enough to a place that does... aka a decent early morning ride that's not super technical or super long since I tend to wake up fully sometime after I wake up for real (less so if I'm hopping on my bike but I'd rather not have a particularly tricky ride at 6am).

Thanks again!
Old 08-02-2011, 10:48 AM   #6
Aquanout
Hooliganantic

Oddometer: 748
Ahhh, I see. Barview is about 300 miles from Seattle, groovy place but perhaps too far. This is closer with access to alot of fun fire roads and big bike single track, its right on the beach which is pus, but the sites can be a bit open, really have to tuck your tent in the trees, biker freindly owners. http://www.olypen.com/crescent/ WiFi spots in PA.
Aquanout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:41 AM   #7
Easy-Z
Me wanna be

Oddometer: 3,424
That RV park really is way out in the open if there's wind. Right next door is a county park that is a bit more protected. It also has some old WWII bunkers and plenty of tide pools to poke at the invertebrates.

Port Angeles isn't too far away for WiFi.
Easy-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 03:18 PM   #8
peelers
n00b

Oddometer: 2
one of the shops near the joyce general store has an open wifi. park in front of the laundry mat and fire up your wifi. i'd stay at salt creek as opposed to crescent rv. the guy that runs crescent rv is real d bag ... don't support that guy. salt creek has more secluded campsites. however, the gate closes at dusk.
peelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 03:46 PM   #9
Eris OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Awesome, thanks all! Looking around the Packwood area now. Really wish there was an app that would cross reference wifi to campgrounds. I prefer forest service ones most of the time since they're secluded though not usually empty and while I like to disconnect once my weekend is started it's nice to both get out of town a day early and generally results in slightly better camp spot choice. An extra day out of the city is always a good thing in my book. Will definitely look at these ones as well since I want to head towards the coast (maybe a bit later in the year when folks stop wanting to be outside as much). Been camping about every other weekend now and hope to continue until the skiing starts!
Old 08-02-2011, 11:56 PM   #10
Rainier_Rider
Gone

Oddometer: 1,560
You mentioned Packwood; Great place.
Should be snow free now, I've ridden up there.
Good luck with the wi-fi.
Better yet, have a saw.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:37 AM   #11
Eris OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I did have a saw and used the heck out of it. Cat Creek Campground for the win. Was so awesome I went back for more the following weekend. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...5#post16692925
Old 08-23-2011, 10:27 AM   #12
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eris View Post
I did have a saw and used the heck out of it. Cat Creek Campground for the win. Was so awesome I went back for more the following weekend. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...5#post16692925
Funny - I just commented about FS 23, then followed the linky to your day trip - nice! Never been on FS 21 - I'll have to check that out.

Do you carry a water filtration or a water container? In the sidecar it's easy, I can put a folding 5 gallon bottle in there full and not even think about it.
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:10 AM   #13
Eris OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Actually since I had to go in to town to work the next morning I simply carried one water bottle for the night (a couple of nasty pills should things go south) and then bought water at the store. Filling up my bottle at every stop (campspots or wherever I stop to use the bathroom) means I didn't need too much more water. On longer trips I could easily bring a container and my filter but the bike was empty after setting up camp so a gallon of water isn't really a big deal.