Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2011, 08:51 AM   #16
slowinfastout OP
6 x 275cc

Oddometer: 1,499
I'm thinking of perhaps getting this with the bead breaker and just using spoons since all my tires are tubed. Anyone had any experience with this unit?

http://www.mikesracingproducts.com/mrp_web_site_002.htm
Old 08-24-2011, 10:20 AM   #17
YamWOW!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowinfastout View Post
I'm thinking of perhaps getting this with the bead breaker and just using spoons since all my tires are tubed. Anyone had any experience with this unit?

I have the Moose Racing version of it. Kinda see it in previous picture. Works a lot better then a bucket. For the price it works great. Just not quite the luxury of the $$$ units. I would just use it and not buy the big machine on dirt bike tires. I don't know how the bead breaker works though. Harbor Freight breaker looks like it works okay. I am anal on scratching stuff using tools. I let nature do it for me.

Check out the WR250R/X forum: CLICK HERE
Check out the Pacific NW DualSport Forum: CLICK HERE
KTM 530 EXC-R
BMW F800GS
YamWOW! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:29 AM   #18
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,883
Fwiw...

I've been using the HF changers since 2005 (first one was lost when my house burned in 2007; bought another one a few months after the fire). In all, between my neighbor and other riding buddies we've changed close to 200 tires on the two machines. IMO for the price they cannot be beat.

Yes, they do require some mods. The bar that comes with them is only good for leverage on the bead breaker. I bought the No-Mar bar with the first machine, but got the Mojo Lever (a copy of the Coats bar I think) for the one I have now. The Mojo is much better IMO. Never a pinched tube or scratched rim.

The other main mod I"ve added is three nylon do-hickeys that replace the stock steel mounting points (also to protect rims). These I got from the Mojo guy (don't remember his name right now, sorry).

I think I bought the HF machine on sale the last time and it was a total of about $50 with the motorcycle adapter. The Mojo lever was around $100 and the replacement nylon wheel mounts were about $15 (I think). I also bought the Marc Parnes static wheel balancer for around $100. So, in all, I"ve got around $270 in the entire tire-changing/balancing setup. It paid for itself about the second time we used it!

My neighbor and I both have 950 KTMs ("Kills Tires Monthly") and we each have other DS bikes that seem to go through tires like a dose of salts thru a widow-woman, so the machine seldom is idle more than a week or two. Plus, several other riding buddies also come by at tire-change time.

If I had plenty of money to spend I could justify paying for a nicer machine with the number of tires we do, but the old HF machine works just fine and I know its ins and outs. Maybe if I can ever break it...
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:21 PM   #19
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
I think I bought the HF machine on sale the last time and it was a total of about $50 with the motorcycle adapter. The Mojo lever was around $100 and the replacement nylon wheel mounts were about $15 (I think). I also bought the Marc Parnes static wheel balancer for around $100. So, in all, I"ve got around $270 in the entire tire-changing/balancing setup. It paid for itself about the second time we used it!
I have exactly the same setup and it works great for me as well! Unfortunately, I don't think HF carries the motorcycle tire changer adapter for their portable tire changer anymore...

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:18 PM   #20
switchback
Eatin' Dirt Since 1982

Oddometer: 1,484
Mojo lever and Mojo Block site.

Mojo Lever Website

Wind is strong and cold
Rain blurs the winding road ahead
I live on two wheels
switchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:24 PM   #21
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

Oddometer: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowinfastout View Post

i have the NoMar and the Mikes Racing Products stand. I mostly use the MRP stand for dirt bike tires (he actually has my photo on his website), but have done a few street/road race tires on it as well. pretty easy to use if you have good technique, and it's great to keep the wheels off the ground.

the nomar is easy to change any street tires and it's very simple once you learn how it works. I've got the 2" receiver hitch mount and it's great but I"m about to sell my jeep w/ the receiver so I'll have to get one of their floor mounts. For storage now I just slide it under the bikes when they are parked. pretty easy to move around but it's heavy picking it up to put in the receiver.
SpeedyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:48 PM   #22
Turbeau
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
I strongly looked at the Nomar/Cycle Hill. And settled on the Bitech Machine changer. It has all of the same quality parts as the Bitech, however the bead breaker is multi postion, meaning you can have it mounted on the pedistal and use the tire changer to break the bead (Like on the Nomar), or move it to the base and use the floor to brake the bead. There are different base height options, the standard unit it trailor hitch comaptible (No base needed). The rim clamps and bead breaker, as well as the mount/dismount bar are non marking.

The clamps work on any rim style, all off the bushings are brass and greasable, and you can even talk to the guy that made your changer if you have any questions or need replacement parts.

Just another option for you to consider - I'm very happy with mine. I have used it for multiple motorcycle tires, ATV tires, and dirtbike tires.

http://www.thefoat.com/?sg=v.video&video_id=367
Turbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:08 AM   #23
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,109
the HF with mojo lever/blocks works for me.

the only problem is with the beak breaker's lower triangle block. they will scratch my wheel. I've cut up oil bottles to shield the wheel but sometime they fall off. what do you guys with the HF do to prevent that?
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:00 PM   #24
Dusty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
slowinfastout..

Love my CH, well worth the money, the only time i use the tire irons is installing the front tire on my wheels. The bead breaker is no big deal, most of the time i can get the fronts to break with my hands.

Scott.

Old 08-27-2011, 04:05 PM   #25
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 808
Thumb No-Mar Rocks!

Love the No-Mar. A few friends and I went in on one and we've never looked back. Bought the trailer hitch model and one guy bolted a receiver to the frame of his garage door as a mount. Works like a charm and their tools are good, too. Not sure if it's made plain on their web site, but they will replace the non-marring tips of several of their tools for free.
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:35 AM   #26
leeinmemphis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,051
I was all set up to buy a no mar but after calling and talking to them they suggested the Blue Cycle Hill changer. They said the hardest tires to still would be the touring bike tires. Well last week I installed a new set of tires on my HD and used the machine for the first time. The first tire took about 30 minutes but the second was literally a three minute deal. I'm very pleased with my machine. I did opt for the platform for it to mount to a stand. When using it you drive your truck/car tire over it to stabilize the machine.
leeinmemphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:03 PM   #27
slowinfastout OP
6 x 275cc

Good Thread! I decided today to get my two spoons and install TKC 80s on my 990 adventure the old school way...on the floor with some soap and water, spoons and wrasslin'. What a disaster. Banged up my black front rim (that black finish comes off REALLY easy when spoons hit it) and couldn't get the bead to release on the rear tire. Tried the 2x4 trick under the pickup truck and was able to get one side to go, but not the flip side. Screw that...decided to quit for the day and park the rear wheel until I get the No Mar changer. Ordering one tonight.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:36 PM   #28
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon

Oddometer: 3,121
My NoMar with the commercial arm for breaking tires that are extremely tough to pop the bead.

www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:58 PM   #29
slowinfastout OP
6 x 275cc

Decided on the No Mar Jr Pro. More than I wanted to spend, but the comments here convinced me it was worth the extra coin. Plus, I can sell it really-really easy on the Flea Market one day!

The advice has been invaluable. Thanks guys.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:43 AM   #30
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4d View Post
the HF with mojo lever/blocks works for me.

the only problem is with the beak breaker's lower triangle block. they will scratch my wheel. I've cut up oil bottles to shield the wheel but sometime they fall off. what do you guys with the HF do to prevent that?
I just put a little rug over the base to protect the wheel and brake rotor.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote