Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2011, 07:00 AM   #24121
bhd1223
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by debaisley View Post
don't bolt the shroud on , just use thin zip ties. That way if you fall hard on the right side , the zip ties will break , and will save your radiator. If you use the bolts , the radiator can get squished. I have always used the zip ties , the shroud is perfectly secure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
+1

Thanks for the tip guys. I do this for the plastics on my road race EX to help keep them from cracking but didn’t even think about their uses in other applications. Do you recommend the small ones or the normal size? The small ones are the ones that are like 4 or 5 inches long and maybe 1/16 or 1/8” wide. I think the normal size are about 8” long and 1/4” wide.
Keeping the Vulcan for now. The ladies seem to love it.
bhd1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:02 AM   #24122
debaisley
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,423
i use the smallest ones i can get , i think they are about 1/16" wide , they hold real well.
debaisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:05 AM   #24123
bhd1223
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by debaisley View Post
i use the smallest ones i can get , i think they are about 1/16" wide , they hold real well.
Just one per hole? Does that stand up well to highway speeds?
Old 08-24-2011, 07:09 AM   #24124
debaisley
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,423
yep, pull em down nice and tight, will give the shroud a little flex when you fall on it , but it wont feel loose at all.
debaisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:18 AM   #24125
bhd1223
Gnarly Adventurer

Well I removed the bolts and installed the small zip ties. There is some play which worries me about the ties wearing down over time but they'll get a nice long high speed test shortly. I'm sure they'll do fine.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:29 AM   #24126
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,363
Just be sure to carry extras with you.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:39 AM   #24127
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhd1223 View Post
Well I removed the bolts and installed the small zip ties. There is some play which worries me about the ties wearing down over time but they'll get a nice long high speed test shortly. I'm sure they'll do fine.
Try fitting two thin ones in each hole. That way when they start cracking and shedding off you have redundancy and an easy visual check. Should still break off to save it in a hard fall.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:17 AM   #24128
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,195
CORE Ride next month

Shameless plug....

We're only about a month away from the next ride at Primm/Bar 10 Ranch/Toroweap, etc......I'm about half booked right now and I need to get the numbers finalized for motels/Bar 10/T-Shirts/etc.....join us if you can......the trails/views are incredibly scenic....

http://crawdadoffroadevents.com/core-calendar/view/15

http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:41 AM   #24129
R_Lefebvre
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
I don't know if that's just a weird coincidence, or maybe if I took the time to figure out all the unit conversions it would turn out that we're really saying the same thing. Or not.

Anyway, the stoichiometric ratio of 14.7 parts air to 1 part fuel is what would be needed to just exactly burn every bit of fuel, completely. In a perfect world.

Modern fuel management systems try to get the air-fuel ratio as close to that as possible to minimize exhaust pollution, while still providing enough power to satisfy the need for speed. And sacrifice performance in the process. Racers, as an example, don't aim for 14.7 to 1.
Not entirely correct.

First of all, the 14.7 number is just pure coincidence. It's actually based on a mass ratio, atmospheric pressure has nothing to do with it, and 14.7:1 is still the number if you're on top of Everest where the air pressure is lower than 14.7psi.

Secondly, even in a perfect world, 14.7:1 will not burn every bit of fuel, or every bit of air, completely. Due to randomness of nature, there will always be some molecules that do not combine properly. This is why even the cleanest engine will still emit CO, NOx and O2 before it gets to the catalytic converter.

The amount of unburnt O2 in the exhaust stream is measured, and this is how we determine the AFR. When you run richer than 14.7:1, NOx and O2 falls off, and CO and unburnt hydrocarbons skyrocket. When you run leaner than 14.7:1, O2 goes up, NOx skyrockets, and CO and HC falls. 14.7:1 is the point at which NOx, CO and HC are the lowest in combination, and also provides the correct balance of chemicals to the catalytic converter to clean up all three.

Modern fuel injection systems only shoot for 14.7:1 at light and moderate loads. At full load, they ALL go richer than that. In this regard, racers and street engines are the same. At light loads where you can run full timing advance, 14.7:1 actually makes more power than running rich. But above a certain load, you have to start either pulling timing, or richening the mixture to ward off detonation. 13.0:1 is a pretty safe target for a naturally aspirated engine. 13.5:1 will yield even more power, but at the risk of detonation. This is where racers differ, as they will push the limits to get more power and sacrifice engine life.
R_Lefebvre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:55 AM   #24130
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Lefebvre View Post
Not entirely correct.

First of all, the 14.7 number is just pure coincidence...

Secondly, even in a perfect world, 14.7:1 will not burn every bit of fuel, or every bit of air, completely. Due to randomness of nature, there will always be some molecules that do not combine properly...
Alright, let's get into metaphysics! I love it

So, in a perfect world is coincidence possible?

Is there such a thing as randomness, in a perfect world?

Anyway, thanks for carrying on the afr search. I'd love to get a Power Commander and an afr meter. In the meantime, I just want to ride even more...

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:05 PM   #24131
jtmajors
OCD with motorcycles

Oddometer: 284
x tube ?

I have an x and putting pirelli mt 21's on it. Sizes are 120/90x17 for the front and 130/90x17 for the rear. Having a hard time finding a tube in those exact sizes and wondering if a msr heavy duty tube that is 70x100x17 will work?
2012 triumph tiger 800xc, 2012 ktm 500 xcw plated, 2010 wr 250x (sold), 2009 Crf 450r (sold), 2007 Crf 250r (sold), 2006 Triumph Daytona 675 (sold), 2001 yz 125 (sold), 2000 yz 250 (sold), 1997 yzf 600 (sold), 1996 cr250r (sold), 1992 rm 125 (sold), 1988 Yamaha Virago (sold), 1986 XR 200 (sold), 1984 cr 80r (sold), 1982 xr 80 (sold)
jtmajors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:29 PM   #24132
bhd1223
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Alright, let's get into metaphysics! I love it

So, in a perfect world is coincidence possible?

Anyway, thanks for carrying on the afr search. I'd love to get a Power Commander and an afr meter. In the meantime, I just want to ride even more...
I believe in the perfect word everything is a random pattern. So anyways, the zip ties held fine. I doubled up upon return anyways though.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:40 PM   #24133
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
In a perfect world, randomness would be truly random and not based on physical or algorithmic pseudo randomness, or other reasons.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:58 PM   #24134
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmajors View Post
I have an x and putting pirelli mt 21's on it. Sizes are 120/90x17 for the front and 130/90x17 for the rear. Having a hard time finding a tube in those exact sizes and wondering if a msr heavy duty tube that is 70x100x17 will work?
It should work. I got the WRX tube sizes at SWMoto tire. Have you checked there yet?
Old 08-25-2011, 05:20 AM   #24135
cozmo2312
Canyon Carver

Oddometer: 235
why does my edge taillight keep blowing fuses? the first time i put it on, i just plugged it all in, bike started, everything lit up, but when i hit the front brake, it popped the fuse. did some reading, i guess i needed to unhook the battery first. ok, unplugged the taillight, unhooked the battery, new fuse in, plug taillight in, hook battery back up, turn on bike, good to go. hit brake lights, fuse pops.

grrrr... what am i doing wrong?
cozmo2312 is offline   Reply With Quote