ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2011, 05:38 AM   #1
1911fan OP
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,512
Pissed F'n wind.... Will it ever stop?

This has to be the windiest summer I've seen. It just never stops. And it's not a breeze, no, it's been 25-30mph with higher gusts almost EVERY SINGLE DAY this summer. The ride to work isn't bad, but the ride home sucks so bad I've only ridden 2-3 times this month. I get buffeted enough on the 990 without a hard crosswind.
I've been running down to the Rimrock lake area to scout for elk every couple of weekends, and it would be a great moto. About 125 miles to the end of the pavement, then hundreds of Forest Circus roads, isolated camp spots, creeks, mountains, great scenery..... But on every trip, there and back I see a bunch of motorcycles, some big DS bikes with gear, a bunch of street bikes, and they're all getting blown around on the highway. Seems like the only bikes that are immune are the big, heavy tourers, like Harleys, Lead Wings, and the like. I'm not riding one of those.
Lying in bed this morning, just before the alarm went off at 4:30 (yes, I hate my job, thanks) and listening to the trees outside whip around, and I'm thinking, "Another day in the truck."
And before you start with the "Man up, it's just the wind" comments, I did. I started riding this spring when it was 30 degrees, and rode almost every day until about two weeks ago. @#$ it, I ride because I enjoy it, and the ride home at the end of a 12-hour day beat me up almost as bad as the day. There are several spots where the ride home takes me from protected areas into a full-value crosswind that slams me over at a good angle. I know it's coming, so I'm ready for it, but jeebus it's just no fun.

RANT MODE: OFF

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:46 AM   #2
Flashmo
Whatever...

Oddometer: 2,539
Been there, done that...

Moved from Washington to Eastern Idaho and seriously thought that I would not be able to ride my MC down here after the first few weeks of spring (2007). I comes down to experience, you must ride in it to get good and comfortable with it. It's not the bike, it is you. You can ride blustery wind on a 400lb bike any time.

Search riding in winds (I'm not re-typing all those wind threads that show up EVERY spring)...then go do it.
Flashmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:22 AM   #3
obrianmcc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
....wind blows!

OBR ADV Gear
Website - www.obradvgear.com
Facebook - OBR ADV Gear
obrianmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:22 AM   #4
yondering
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,100
I hear ya, I hate that constant, every day wind. Even if you're not riding, it gets annoying. One of the few things I don't like about the east side.
yondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:23 AM   #5
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,770
Windiest year I can ever remember in NM too. Really pisses me off. It was windy (some days gusts up to 70 MPH) from February to mid July here. Then the wind finally calmed down, we got a few monsoons, and now the wind seems to be picking up again. . I fucking hate it. Sucks to ride in it. Sucks to be in it. Dries everything out. Just sucks.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:35 AM   #6
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
This has to be the windiest summer I've seen. It just never stops. And it's not a breeze, no, it's been 25-30mph with higher gusts almost EVERY SINGLE DAY this summer. The ride to work isn't bad, but the ride home sucks so bad I've only ridden 2-3 times this month. I get buffeted enough on the 990 without a hard crosswind.1911fan
Don't worry, it will stop, about the time the snow comes.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:44 AM   #7
alfabc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Pissed Wind

While trying to do part of the WABDR we ended up riding from Yakima to Ellensburg on the 97. Talk about wind!! We were thrown about like rag dolls by the wind, and then we had the insults added by big rig truckers not seeming to care if they ran you over or not. I guess we're just speed pumps to those folks. The next morning we did take the more protected 821 south from Ellensburg to Yakima and headed back to the protection and beauty of the trees on the east side of the mountains. You guys can have eastern WA. Been there, done that, didn't really enjoy at all.

Cheers,

Bill
2001 BMW F650GS
alfabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:23 AM   #8
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,363
Thanks for keeping all that wind over in your area.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:57 AM   #9
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,650
Wind annoys but I got a steering damper on both KTMs and I just crank it. The wind no longer bothers!

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:00 PM   #10
wibby
BrotherFromAnotherMother

Oddometer: 10,499
Wish we'd get some wind

I'd go fly my kite

Old 08-15-2011, 07:01 PM   #11
1911fan OP
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmo View Post
It comes down to experience, you must ride in it to get good and comfortable with it. It's not the bike, it is you. You can ride blustery wind on a 400lb bike any time.

Search riding in winds ...then go do it.
Oh, I've done it... a lot. I'm just effing tired of it. A nice calm day, a spirited ride, all good. Just sucks to add wind to the commute home after 10-11 hours at a job I've come to hate.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:14 AM   #12
Dawg_enD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
A couple winters ago after I got tired of riding 1.5 hours to work in the freaking 38 degree rain. I drove the truck for most of the rest of the winter to sort of recharge my batteries.

Nothin' wrong with skipping the bike until it's fun again.
By the way, it is fucking 3:40 something and I'm hammered and I didn't get laid so fuck off I'm eating cheetos and posting on fucking ADV like a fucking asshole.
Dawg_enD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:06 AM   #13
Edwards
Gravel Eddie

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfabc View Post
While trying to do part of the WABDR we ended up riding from Yakima to Ellensburg on the 97. Talk about wind!! We were thrown about like rag dolls by the wind, and then we had the insults added by big rig truckers not seeming to care if they ran you over or not. I guess we're just speed pumps to those folks. The next morning we did take the more protected 821 south from Ellensburg to Yakima and headed back to the protection and beauty of the trees on the east side of the mountains. You guys can have eastern WA. Been there, done that, didn't really enjoy at all.

Cheers,

Bill
2001 BMW F650GS
Sounds like you only made it to Central Wa and not over here to Eastern Wa, both are beautiful, but we have not had the wind.
Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:52 PM   #14
BigKnobby
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
What Dawg said, +1

Keep it fun if you can. Wind is a real pain, and work sucks, but don't let those things encroach on the joy of riding. Give yourself some comfy time on four wheels and save the bike for the good days. Hang in there bud...
BigKnobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:32 PM   #15
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg_enD View Post
Nothin' wrong with skipping the bike until it's fun again.
We've had windy days here, and it makes for an annoying bike commute. I ride to work in the freezing cold at 0530, work for 10 hours in the woods and ride home in the heat at 1630.

Not any more. I drive my cage to work everyday. Its a warm, coffee sipping, radio listening, comfortable commute My KIA gets worse gas mileage than my bike. Overall though, I save money because KIA tires are much cheaper than bike tires AND I can enjoy my drive to work.

Ride for fun, skip the rest.

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote