Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2011, 05:40 PM   #1141
gixxersteph
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
@
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLebowski View Post
Someone wanna bring Wayne their bike so he can load a tuneboy map and then extract it via TuneECU? This could work no? Or.. anyone here got tuneboy or tuneedit? The e-mail could solve this also.

I feel a bit guilty even suggesting that after all Wayne has done for us already.

Thanks again
I am trying for figure out a way to visit Wayne to tune my Superduke, visit Barber Motorsports Park for the classic races and do a track day at the facility thereafter. Just need six numbers.

That said Wayne has been extremely generous with his time and sharing the results of his customers' tunes. Thank you.

gixxersteph screwed with this post 08-19-2011 at 09:00 AM
gixxersteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:37 AM   #1142
Power-Tripp
Speed Savant

Oddometer: 28
Michael C. - Thanks. It is good to hear one of those maps works well for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmc99 View Post
AL is soooo far away!
How long does it typically take to do up a map?
CA is soooo far away. AL is right here.
Generally, it takes 4 hours to completely map a bike with TuneECU or TuneEdit. Occasionally working out details like best secondary throttle operation, really screwed up part throttle ignition mapping, or finding optimum F-L switch points, can take longer. Once I have a good base map to work from, 3 hours is normal for a 9000-10,000 rpm bike - allowing for a bit of cool down time to keep oil temps reasonable.

Lebowski - TuneEdit is the mapping software from TuneBoy. TuneBoy is just the diagnostic interface software. TuneECU has both the mapping and diagnostic software in the same interface software... and it is free.

GixxerSteph - Any time you can fit us into your schedule, let me know. Barber is a great facility - the track is very technical, blind turns, lots of elevation changes, and great track surfaces. The museum has to be seen to be believed. 5 stories of motorcycles crammed under one roof. A beautiful place, as well. In fact, Yamaha has the track rented all next week for the photo and video shoot for all of their motorsports ads and brochures for the next few years. All only a 40 minute ride (in traffic) from our shop to the Barber paddock.

Back to the grindstone, I have two race heads to port before Monday, aside from normal business. No rest for the wicked... and all that.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:52 PM   #1143
grinns
Semper Fi

Oddometer: 1,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power-Tripp View Post
Ok, I do NOT have TuneECU maps for the 07-08 990 ADV models. The maps I have available are in TuneBoy/TuneECU format. Even though I build engines, and map engines for a living, I try to share maps as much as possible. I have been overwhelmed by requests for maps that I do not have. Sorry, guys (and gals), but TuneECU has only been available since May of 2010, and only last Fall did it finally become able to work with the KTM models. I do not have a large collection of KTM maps for TuneECU as a result. TuneBoy/TuneEdit is a different story, but these do not use the same file format, and it takes MANY hours of detailed work to even attempt to convert one format to another - time I simply do not have to spare.

Also, most 990 ADV owners, and KTM owners in general, do not have their bikes mapped. Some simply do not know that it can be done or understand the benefits, and this includes 99% of all KTM dealers. This limits the number of custom maps that will be produced for a given model year range.

The 07-08 models have different cam timing, and require different mapping. Considerably different.
I will not have a 2007-2008 ADV back on the dyno for mapping with TuneECU for a month (Late Sept/early Oct.). I have two scheduled at this time.

NO, you cannot use maps from different KTM 990 models, or across different years with different engine modifications. The SMT and SuperDuke engines make considerably more power, and require considerably different fueling and ignition timing.
YES, different exhaust systems make a BIG difference in what the engine wants for best output, response, and fuel consumption.

As soon as I get a couple of these 07-08 ADVs mapped with TuneECU, I will see what I can release to Tom and Alain for the TuneECU map list.

Right now, I am very busy building engines and mapping bikes for the end of the racing seasons - drag, dirt, and road racing. As well as normal street customers.

As soon as I have a couple of maps available for the 07-08 models, I will send them to Alain and Tom to host on their sites. I PROMISE!

I hope this helps.

-Wayne
I can convert them to tuneecu. Message me, I already did this for someone else. I have a license and the tuneboy cable for my bike.

grinns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:26 PM   #1144
Dotbond
Africa, Africa

Oddometer: 732
Today I loaded the 2011 Std Adventure standard map into my 2010 990 R Adventure.
O2 sensors still enabled at all times.

Mods done to the bike previously are Wings mufflers with the 32mm inserts and the Uni Prefilter.
The bike when still standard surged between 3000 and 4000 rpm, quite noticeable around 30 - 40mph.
Also comming back on the throttle, the fuelling was very abrubt at these low speeds.

After a 1 hour test ride around town and on the highway I can say that the surging has improved, but only marginally.
The abrupt throttle opening problem has improved more, now only slightly noticeable.

So, maybe need to try a tuned map from Power-Tripp and see what difference that makes.

2008 N.Z.Yamaha Safari: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306905
2007 N.Z.Adventures Safari: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201557

Dotbond screwed with this post 08-20-2011 at 10:40 PM
Dotbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:04 PM   #1145
bouboule
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by grinns View Post
I can convert them to tuneecu. Message me, I already did this for someone else. I have a license and the tuneboy cable for my bike.

I'm very interesting by a test of some file for 07/08 !! If you and Waynes can help us in this subject it'll be beautifull!!!!

Thanks all for this very rich post !!!
bouboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:32 AM   #1146
Kenbike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
I have my 2007 990 scheduled with Wayne the first week of Oct for a tuning session. My bike has 2 into 1 HT Racing system,& a Motor Hooligan air box. So he might share the map from my bike.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:02 AM   #1147
Hipster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,686
Not to get off subject but, I see Cycleops now offers a plug and play accelerator module to cure the FI stumble. As I understand it, this module tricks the ECU into thinking the ambient temp is 20c cooler than the actual air temp, hence a richer fuel mixture under acceleration.

Do you think it would cure the surging? Here's a link to the product http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.co...roducts&id=158
Hipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:15 AM   #1148
twodollardoug
the calimesa kid

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbike View Post
I have my 2007 990 scheduled with Wayne the first week of Oct for a tuning session. My bike has 2 into 1 HT Racing system,& a Motor Hooligan air box. So he might share the map from my bike.
kenbike, did you evr solve your fueling issue? also your setup is very similar to mine. are you running secondary butterflies?
Old 08-24-2011, 06:33 AM   #1149
nevermind
Swamp Thing

Oddometer: 2,694
Quote:
Good to see you got that scheduled. October will be MUCH better for you and your ride than say, AUGUST when I was there!!!
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:14 AM   #1150
Spark01
V-Twin

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster View Post
Not to get off subject but, I see Cycleops now offers a plug and play accelerator module to cure the FI stumble. As I understand it, this module tricks the ECU into thinking the ambient temp is 20c cooler than the actual air temp, hence a richer fuel mixture under acceleration.

Do you think it would cure the surging? Here's a link to the product http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.co...roducts&id=158
It's similar to this product http://www.powerfrkusa.net/
Waste of money, because it adapts the temp sensor.
But what happens when you go to a different altitude or an place where it's very hot?.
I don't think these things adapts + some of the power graphs on the powerfrk site have the A/F attached.
But i don't like em, lambda 0,6 = afr 8 ( http://www.powerfrkusa.net/dynograph...mann-at-m-tec/ )
But i think the oil company's liked them, because of the fuel use
Old 08-25-2011, 12:13 AM   #1151
sabink
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark01 View Post
It's similar to this product http://www.powerfrkusa.net/
Waste of money, because it adapts the temp sensor.
But what happens when you go to a different altitude or an place where it's very hot?.
I don't think these things adapts + some of the power graphs on the powerfrk site have the A/F attached.
But i don't like em, lambda 0,6 = afr 8 ( http://www.powerfrkusa.net/dynograph...mann-at-m-tec/ )
But i think the oil company's liked them, because of the fuel use
+1

Invest in custom tune and you will not believe the difference!
sabink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:15 AM   #1152
Kenbike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
I still don't have the bike running good above 5000 rpm's when I slowly roll on the throttle, when I hit 3/4 or more throttle it runs good. I added the Bazzaz unit and have it set at 13 to 1 air fuel across the range and it runs very good below 5000 rpm's. I can be rolling along at 3000 rpm in 1st or 2nd and WOT results in power wheelie every time. Before the Bazzaz unit it would cough, stumble, spit and then take off a full 2 seconds later!

I did pull the secondary butterflies and shafts when I installed the motor hooligan air box. You should visit the Super Duke forum. They have the same issues with the FI and many have converted over to the Motor Hooligan box and removed the secondary flies and shafts.

The added bonus of visiting Wayne is a visit to Barber museum and the gulf. My wife and I are going to spend the week and hopeful the bike is done after a few days and we will tour the state on the KTM.

Still do not have my tune ECU cable, It shipped Monday from CJ! I would love to get help from someone in the area and load a Akron map to see if by chance it clears the rough spot, and I need to turn off the error code for the secondary flies stepper motor.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:13 AM   #1153
Maximum Hastings
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
KTM 990 Adventure connector to USB port

hello,

I am riding around the world on a KTM 990 Adventure R (11) and my partner who is on a KTM 990 Adventure (08) for charity - Autism Research Trust. First Chinese female to do so. We have just been charged over US$200 by KTM Nairobi for 5 minutes attached to their ECU diagnostic kit + US$600 for two services and that means we really are not eating for a few days.. such is the tight budget. The issue is fuel filters which get wrecked by the poor fuel in Africa and the general conditions which are harsh(ish). Also, KTM 990's have problems with the clutch slave which is not very robust, the front wheel rim and the pumps.. water and fuel.

We are at Jungle Junction in Nairobi having completed 12,000Kms already across Africa and ran into another 990 rider coming south from Ethiopia and he recommended we download Tune ECU and relevant maps for our bikes which we did. However, not much use without the connectors and so I was surfing this site and saw that some people had ingenuously made some up.

Just wondering how to get hold of such a cable/ six point ECU connector and USB connector.

Not easy to import things into Africa. I note there hasn't been a sudden out break of honesty here and everyone seems to fight a lot, hence customs are notorious for squeezing exorbitant import taxes or squeezing for bribes or both usually. Not much we can do when the tone from the top is Kleptomania and poor governance. Anyway, I digress, we really could do with an ECU cable and any advise about upgrading the shoddy clutch slave and pumps.

Thanks

www.bigbiketrip.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpoweredmonkey View Post
Also - if anyone is interested to try this out and wants a patch cable, post up here. If I get some interest maybe I can order a bunch of connectors and make up a few sets.

TuneECU thread on Superduke forum if you want to read more.
Maximum Hastings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:10 AM   #1154
twodollardoug
the calimesa kid

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
I still don't have the bike running good above 5000 rpm's when I slowly roll on the throttle, when I hit 3/4 or more throttle it runs good. I added the Bazzaz unit and have it set at 13 to 1 air fuel across the range and it runs very good below 5000 rpm's. I can be rolling along at 3000 rpm in 1st or 2nd and WOT results in power wheelie every time. Before the Bazzaz unit it would cough, stumble, spit and then take off a full 2 seconds later!

I did pull the secondary butterflies and shafts when I installed the motor hooligan air box. You should visit the Super Duke forum. They have the same issues with the FI and many have converted over to the Motor Hooligan box and removed the secondary flies and shafts.

The added bonus of visiting Wayne is a visit to Barber museum and the gulf. My wife and I are going to spend the week and hopeful the bike is done after a few days and we will tour the state on the KTM.

Still do not have my tune ECU cable, It shipped Monday from CJ! I would love to get help from someone in the area and load a Akron map to see if by chance it clears the rough spot, and I need to turn off the error code for the secondary flies stepper motor.
yes, i am a member of sd.net also. i have an 08 sd also. i to have removed the secondary shafts on both bike. our advs are almost identical. i would really like to see the difference between your new map (that waynes going to make) and my map. mine is a dynojet split map imported into tuneecu.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:59 AM   #1155
Spark01
V-Twin

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum Hastings View Post
hello,

I am riding around the world on a KTM 990 Adventure R (11) and my partner who is on a KTM 990 Adventure (08) for charity - Autism Research Trust. First Chinese female to do so. We have just been charged over US$200 by KTM Nairobi for 5 minutes attached to their ECU diagnostic kit + US$600 for two services and that means we really are not eating for a few days.. such is the tight budget. The issue is fuel filters which get wrecked by the poor fuel in Africa and the general conditions which are harsh(ish). Also, KTM 990's have problems with the clutch slave which is not very robust, the front wheel rim and the pumps.. water and fuel.

We are at Jungle Junction in Nairobi having completed 12,000Kms already across Africa and ran into another 990 rider coming south from Ethiopia and he recommended we download Tune ECU and relevant maps for our bikes which we did. However, not much use without the connectors and so I was surfing this site and saw that some people had ingenuously made some up.

Just wondering how to get hold of such a cable/ six point ECU connector and USB connector.

Not easy to import things into Africa. I note there hasn't been a sudden out break of honesty here and everyone seems to fight a lot, hence customs are notorious for squeezing exorbitant import taxes or squeezing for bribes or both usually. Not much we can do when the tone from the top is Kleptomania and poor governance. Anyway, I digress, we really could do with an ECU cable and any advise about upgrading the shoddy clutch slave and pumps.

Thanks

www.bigbiketrip.net
200US for a diagnostic

ok where to get a tuneecu cable:
http://www.cjdesignsllc.com/TuneECU.html
or
http://www.zenoverland.com/bikebits/ktm_ecu_cable.html

Most used clutch slave cylinders;
http://www.oberon-performance.co.uk/...tch_Slave.html
or
http://evoluzione.net/evo-cycle-ktm.htm