ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2011, 10:41 AM   #1
StevieG OP
English Muffin

Oddometer: 53
Portland storage

Hey guys and gals - does anyone know somewhere I can store a motorcycle near Portland airport for a short while until I can sell it? I'm running the transamerica trail and will end in Portland mid September, and its not worth shipping it back home to Florida so was going to put it on Fleabay. Its an '04 KLR650. I thought of putting it on consignment at a dealer, but not sure if they'd be interested.

Any other ideas from anyone?!

Thanks!
Old 08-23-2011, 11:11 AM   #2
WB-PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,713
Put it on Craigslist for an appropriate price, and you can sell it in 24-48 hours. Put it on when you are in the last few days of the trip, and I bet you have a buyer when you arrive. You will have to price it right.
WB-PDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:53 PM   #3
Beerslayer
Journeyman Bike Knocker

Oddometer: 3,734
What ^^ said. Have you decided what you are going to ask for it? We would be happy to come up with all sorts of helpful opinions, comments, and post pictures of nice dogs in this thread if you like.
Road Rash Riding Roatan
Beerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:13 PM   #4
StevieG OP
English Muffin

So long as I dont trash it I'll be happy to get $1500 for it. Think thats realistic for an '04 in good nic. If that's out of line I'm sure you guys will let me know!

Craigslist is a good idea if I can sort out the logistics of it all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerslayer View Post
What ^^ said. Have you decided what you are going to ask for it? We would be happy to come up with all sorts of helpful opinions, comments, and post pictures of nice dogs in this thread if you like.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:33 AM   #5
taranaki
Dopeless Hope Fiend

Oddometer: 1,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
Hey guys and gals - does anyone know somewhere I can store a motorcycle near Portland airport for a short while until I can sell it? I'm running the transamerica trail and will end in Portland mid September, and its not worth shipping it back home to Florida so was going to put it on Fleabay. Its an '04 KLR650. I thought of putting it on consignment at a dealer, but not sure if they'd be interested.

Any other ideas from anyone?!

Thanks!

Portland Motorcycle is near PDX and will store for $1 per day in their climate controlled building. Heck, they'll even tend the battery and roll it around every few days to avoid flat spots.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:48 AM   #6
WB-PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,713
You'll sell it quickly at $1,500 as long as it doesn't have huge miles and isn't totally destroyed. Be sure to strip off your farkles.

The logistics shouldn't be hard to figure out; have the seller meet you wherever you are staying, and take public transit or a cab to the airport when you depart. Just make sure you have the title on you. If you explain to the potential buyers, I am sure they will understand.

Also, you'll want to note, buyers of out-of-state vehicles in Oregon (Washington is the same I am sure) face slightly higher registration fees, and slightly more hassle when buying vehicles that are titled out-of-state.

Be sure to read up on PMC here, and google reviews, etc. before you give them your business.
WB-PDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:03 PM   #7
mrazekan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,357
Why don't you just park it at the airport. You will EVENTUALLY use their services. Motorcycle parking is free. I've left my bike there for two weeks with no problem. If it would make you feel better, one of us can go move it around once a week or so.

As far as PMC goes, for a dollar a day, they are losing money. That would make a few people here happy.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:40 PM   #8
StevieG OP
English Muffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WB-PDX View Post
You'll sell it quickly at $1,500 as long as it doesn't have huge miles and isn't totally destroyed. Be sure to strip off your farkles.

The logistics shouldn't be hard to figure out; have the seller meet you wherever you are staying, and take public transit or a cab to the airport when you depart. Just make sure you have the title on you. If you explain to the potential buyers, I am sure they will understand.

Also, you'll want to note, buyers of out-of-state vehicles in Oregon (Washington is the same I am sure) face slightly higher registration fees, and slightly more hassle when buying vehicles that are titled out-of-state.

Be sure to read up on PMC here, and google reviews, etc. before you give them your business.
Yep, I have a nice shock and a few other things that I'll stealth change out for the stock items somewhere (hotel parking lot?!) before I sell it. I paid 2k for it a few years ago now in stock condition, and given the options I have and what I'll have done with it, I think $1500 is fair. I may even put it up here and see if anyone's interested.
I gave it an overhaul before the trip (new fluids, wheel bearings, fork seals, doohickey etc etc)...