Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2011, 07:31 AM   #136
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis53 View Post
I have a 2009 R1200GSA, to do a sync is this correct?

Warm engine.
Connect sync device.
Remove the plugs for the steppers motors.
Start engine.
Sync engine at speed above idle, 2000 rpm, 2500 rpm, etc. with the cable on the right throttle body.
Shutdown engine, remove sync device, connect stepper plugs.

The steppers set idle speed and idle sync.

Is this procedure correct?
Pretty much. Here is the process: http://www.jimvonbaden.com/R1200_TB_Sync.html

Use the Harmonizer instead of the Twinmax.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:54 PM   #137
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,195
Mine has been ordered..........thank you! This will be the first time in 37 years of owning BMW's that I will try something other than mercury gauges.

Thanks
Old 08-19-2011, 06:06 PM   #138
troy_mp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grok View Post
Hi Bill,
They are made in California.
The parts and components are not 100% of North American origin, but I did the best I could.
The Customs form attached to the box will say US made.

P.S. I'm currently using Duracell Professional batteries, made by a division of a Canadian company in Toronto.

Thanks!
Grok:

I'm considering buying one of your "Harmonizers". What kind of batteries does the unit use? Are they rechargeables or replaceables? If the former what method, if any, is included for recharging?

With appreciation,

Troy
Old 08-19-2011, 06:39 PM   #139
Grok OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy_mp View Post
Grok:

I'm considering buying one of your "Harmonizers". What kind of batteries does the unit use? Are they rechargeables or replaceables? If the former what method, if any, is included for recharging?

With appreciation,

Troy
It's a 9V alkaline battery. Non-rechargeable primary battery.

Anticipated battery life is as follows (cut from specifications in first post page 1)

Typical current consumption and battery life (based on fresh Alkaline battery 500mA/hr 23C)

basic functions backlight off 11mA 45hrs
basic functions backlight on 16mA 31hrs
beacon mode (backlight on) 25mA 20hrs
LED on (backlight on) 34mA 15 hrs

for most people the battery life is essentially the shelf life, at 4-5 years.

If you use the unit professionally, or if you use the LED functions extensively, you may need to replace the battery more often.

9V Lithium batteries can be used and will yield 2-3 times the battery life, but are expensive.
Standard 9V "Heavy Duty" carbon zinc batteries may also be used, but the battery life will be shorter.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:42 PM   #140
troy_mp
Adventurer

[QUOTE=Grok;16668128]It's a 9V alkaline battery. Non-rechargeable primary battery.

... QUOTE]
Grok,

Thanks for the prompt and informative reply. Were it necessary to replace the battery, is such a replacement easily accomplished?

Thanks,

Troy
Old 08-19-2011, 06:51 PM   #141
Grok OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Grok,

Thanks for the prompt and informative reply. Were it necessary to replace the battery, is such a replacement easily accomplished?

Thanks,

Troy
It has a battery door on the rear of the enclosure similar to what you see on TV remotes, etc.. . It has a standard 9V battery pigtail that snaps onto the battery.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:53 PM   #142
troy_mp
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grok View Post
It has a battery door on the rear of the enclosure similar to what you see on TV remotes, etc.. . It has a standard 9V battery pigtail that snaps onto the battery.
And with that ... I'm sold. Order out within the hour. Thank you and continued success.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:02 PM   #143
Grok OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
And with that ... I'm sold. Order out within the hour. Thank you and continued success.

Thanks!
Much appreciated
Old 08-20-2011, 01:21 PM   #144
SPEEDSMITH
Sh!t Disturber

Oddometer: 497
I've decided to buy the 2 cylinder one now, and see how it holds up in a shop environment.
If it's good, I'll buy the 4 cylinder one when it's available.
Paypal sent!

"Bite my shiny metal ass!" ~ Bender
"Racing makes heroin addiction seem like a vague wish for something salty." ~ Peter Egan
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." ~ Mark Twain
SPEEDSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:27 PM   #145
The Other JC
4 year lurker..

Oddometer: 202
Australia Order

Another just ordered from Australia

Just in time after my clutch strip down, shes seems to be running a little rough!

Best thing about doing your own gearbox seal and clutch.. SAVING all that money to buy new tools
The Other JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:37 PM   #146
der_saeufer
?איפה בירה

Oddometer: 547
w00t!

This thing is the shiznit. Got mine yesterday and re-balanced my oilhead when I got home just for the hell of it since the ports are easy to get at. I'd gotten pretty close with the Twinmax but it was way easier with the Harmonizer, especially doing the 3krpm throttle cable balance, which was a pain with the Twinmax thanks to the bouncy needle but was a piece of cake with the Harmonizer.

Today I used it to balance the throttle bodies on my '04 Wee. I dunno what had been done before (I've owned it for 5 weeks) but they were 50mbar off. Turn screw to find zero..... EPIC WIN. These bikes are smooth to begin with, but now if I were deaf I'd have to look at the tach to know if it was actually running below about 5krpm.

This device is awesome. Buy one now while you can still get something for your Twinmax second hand

(and no, I have nothing to do with the manufacturer/seller besides living in the same county and having bought one from him)
der_saeufer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:35 AM   #147
Grok OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by der_saeufer View Post
This thing is the shiznit. Got mine yesterday and re-balanced my oilhead when I got home just for the hell of it since the ports are easy to get at. I'd gotten pretty close with the Twinmax but it was way easier with the Harmonizer, especially doing the 3krpm throttle cable balance, which was a pain with the Twinmax thanks to the bouncy needle but was a piece of cake with the Harmonizer.

Today I used it to balance the throttle bodies on my '04 Wee. I dunno what had been done before (I've owned it for 5 weeks) but they were 50mbar off. Turn screw to find zero..... EPIC WIN. These bikes are smooth to begin with, but now if I were deaf I'd have to look at the tach to know if it was actually running below about 5krpm.

This device is awesome. Buy one now while you can still get something for your Twinmax second hand

(and no, I have nothing to do with the manufacturer/seller besides living in the same county and having bought one from him)
Thanks

Glad you like it and it was nice talking with you!
-Mark
Old 08-25-2011, 01:46 PM   #148
Navy CWO
Salty

Oddometer: 192
Ordered one today. Looking forward to trying it out on my '91 GS and '93 RT.
Navy CWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:47 PM   #149
Happy Wanderer
Day Dreaming.. .

Oddometer: 202
Harmonizer

I ordered one yesterday and to save time and customs hassles I had it shipped to Pt Roberts where I go pick up my own US goods. I received my PayPal confirmation right away.
For everyone's edification:
- Do you then provide any notice that the unit has shipped?
- Tracking number so I know when to expect it?

This info is very useful to us cross border shoppers.
Happy Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:39 PM   #150
Grok OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsegon View Post
I ordered one yesterday and to save time and customs hassles I had it shipped to Pt Roberts where I go pick up my own US goods. I received my PayPal confirmation right away.
For everyone's edification:
- Do you then provide any notice that the unit has shipped?
- Tracking number so I know when to expect it?

This info is very useful to us cross border shoppers.
As explained on the order page - all orders are shipped the same day or the day following receipt of order (Sundays excluded). If there is an exception to this the buyer will be notified.

US domestic orders are shipped Priority Mail, with a typical delivery time of 1-3 days. I don't do tracking or delivery confirmation on these orders. They are fast and have proven reliable.

International orders are shipped US Postal Service First Class International. Delivery is typically 7-10 days, but has been as long as 3 weeks depending on the country and whether the package is selected for customs inspections.
No tracking or delivery confirmation is available, except for customs declaration numbers. This is to save shipping costs.
Tracking and/or delivery confirmation for international orders would be an additional $15-$20. I am currently not offering that option.

P.S. Your order shipped today!

Grok screwed with this post 08-25-2011 at 03:54 PM Reason: Add P.S.
Grok is offline   Reply With Quote