ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2011, 09:29 PM   #39256
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,783
A very real and very documented type of freeway accident, one I've seen first hand twice in my lifetime is a bike being encroached upon, or struck, and sent sideways off of the road and into the median.

You don't always just fall down and go sliding down the middle of the highway. If you hit the cheese-graters at an angle, off the bike it's not even the cables themselves that's going to fuck you, it's the bars in between them....and the whole apparatus represents an impediment to your trajectory that (in most cases) would otherwise not be there. I get why they're built, I understand the purpose, but if you and your bike get out there in the median at speed for whatever reason you do not want to hit something that narrow with soft tissue...like that needs to be said.

Whatever, I hate the idea of them but I didn't need a reason to hate freeway travel by bike, it blows.

swingset is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:56 PM   #39257
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,067
More storm photos

Opps that's a Strom Photo.

That's better.

2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:41 AM   #39258
Sparkster
Live seriously.

Oddometer: 1,240
That was quite the storm last night. I woke up expecting to hear an archangel blowing a trumpet.
Sparkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:53 AM   #39259
CBBaron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkster View Post
That was quite the storm last night. I woke up expecting to hear an archangel blowing a trumpet.
Saw some lightning at home last night but didn't seem to bad. However there were tree limbs and power outages all over the place on the way to work, and that is only 8 miles from home.

Craig
CBBaron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:48 AM   #39260
invisible monster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
I head over to Perry once in a while after work for a quick ride since it is close. I try to stay close to the main trails since I am always riding alone. Figure that would make it easier for Karen to rescue me if I were to get into trouble somehow.

Earlier this week I came up over a little rise on one of the side trails, thinking I'd catch a little air. Once airborne I realized there was a big mud hole below me. This was the result.

I did a little tumble over the bars. My helmet and right arm up to the shoulder were dripping with mud. Sort of like cake frosting in consistency. The front wheel on the WR felt like it was cemented in.

After about 30 min of struggling I managed to get to this point.

Notice the mud on my front wheel. It did not want to let go!

Finally got it loose and upright.

Luckily this mud hole, unlike others I've encountered at Perry, did not reek like a sewer. It actually had a sort of gas/chemical smell. I unearthed a few broken cables while pulling my bike out, evidence that I am not the first to fall prey to this trap.

After scooping mud off of everything I rode back home and had Karen hose me off in the driveway.

Just thought you guys would enjoy my little Perry adventure.
invisible monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:54 AM   #39261
swingset
Got the knack.

I've done the superman into Perry slop a few times myself. Always fun wrestling a bike out of that poo.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:06 AM   #39262
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,694
My bike after a VERY similar Perry mud hole incident. Excuse my buddy, he's looking especially "special" in this one.

z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:47 PM   #39263
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,498
Damn Ron, that looks like it was a lot of work to dig out!

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:22 PM   #39264
swingset
Got the knack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Yeah, brought back memories. The worst part is your feet get in there and instead lifting the bike up, it just pushes you down.

I did a similar thing at Perry riding alone in a somewhat mild looking rut, just buried the fuck out of my front end....got to put to use something I'd read about but never tried - making a lever out of a tow strap. Tie off to the bike, tie on a big branch or stick about 1' up the branch from the ground. Grab the top of the branch and push it tight then "lever" the top of the branch away from the stuck bike...taking little bites until the bike's free.

It worked great, just took a while. Hell of a lot easier than getting in there and wrestling with it, but I was lucky there was a suitable piece of wood laying there. In the equipment forum there's a link to a small come-along that's packable for doing the same thing, I might actually invest in that for solo adventures.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:27 PM   #39265
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 23,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey1 View Post
How's the healing coming along? Have you made a decision on repairing or replacing the bike?

I'm healed! For the most part. Actually rode the GS from Toby's to my garage a kickass 4 miles. I was sweating like a bitch thinking about it but it was good. It was my first ride since the accident. The other bike, the one I wrecked, I started to take some of the plastic off. Probably going to sell it.

Thinking about going to dox on Saturday evening if I don't pull a goonie Not an overnight but a beer or two. You?

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:12 PM   #39266
Just GO!
Countersteer it.

Oddometer: 2,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon View Post
I'm healed! For the most part. Actually rode the GS from Toby's to my garage a kickass 4 miles. I was sweating like a bitch thinking about it but it was good. It was my first ride since the accident. The other bike, the one I wrecked, I started to take some of the plastic off. Probably going to sell it.

Thinking about going to dox on Saturday evening if I don't pull a goonie Not an overnight but a beer or two. You?

Good news, Goonie.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:31 PM   #39267
invisible monster
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post

Yeah, like Swing said, the hardest part is you can't get next to the bike. Stepping anywhere in the mud and my boot was buried instantly.

I did laugh pretty hard when I got up off the ground, looked back, and saw my WR standing straight up.

Then I tried to move it and I was like .
Old 08-25-2011, 06:32 PM   #39268
invisible monster
Gnarly Adventurer

Glad to hear the recovery is going well Goonie!!
Old 08-25-2011, 06:45 PM   #39269
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 10,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon View Post

Good to hear Goonie. I plan on riding down Saturday evening.
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:50 PM   #39270
flashover604
tailgunner

Oddometer: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
In the equipment forum there's a link to a small come-along that's packable for doing the same thing, I might actually invest in that for solo adventures.
I saw that too. I like it... Looks nice and compact.

http://www.adventureengineering.com/ae/ezpull_index.cfm