Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2011, 05:05 AM   #31
Sumo64c
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
The air filter change should merit a -4 at least....
Sumo64c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:39 PM   #32
Steelybeast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
Hello, and welcome to goldwings.

I just bought a new 2012 wing and finished a 5k mile trip out west on it. The wing is very good at eating up the miles, but is a big heavy bike. I still have my ST1300 and appreciate both bikes. My only nit is that the goldwing transmission is not as smooth shifting as my ST1300 and other bikes. Also the air flow over the windscreen does not provide enough cooling in hot conditions.

Here's the review I posted on the goldwing forum --

I've had my new 2012 for one month now. These are some observations based on 5000 miles of use. Most observations apply to previous years as well.

Color: WHITE
Model: AUDIO COMFORT NAVI XM ABS

+1 The new 2012 wing has improved looks. I waited until 2012 for its better esthetics. Many hate the new looks but I think they're just frustrated because they own the boring old design.

+1 The best two up machine out there.

+1 Wow, what a great Horn the wing has.

+1 The head lights are very impressive.

-1 The goldwing tranny is clunky. Too bad. It detracts from an otherwise fine bike.
P.S. ~~ I've adjusted to it now. The tranny responds best to crisp, rapid shifts.

-1 The barn door of a windshield does not allow enough air over the top for cooling in the summer. I know it has a vent but it's not enough for me. I'm used to the full in your face wind that I get on my ST1300. I'll have to look into an aftermarket short ws.

-1 Bike needs electrically operated ws like the ST1300. Perhaps in a future wing.

+1 The TPS (Tire Pressure System) saved my bacon. This feature works!!! About 2500 miles into my trip I had a rear puncture. Usually I've had no problem plugging tires, but this time the tire kicked out 5 plugs and each time the TPS warned me so I could pull over safely. I was able to limp into Monticello Utah on the sixth plug to have the tire replaced. The owner of Hondaland was really helpful and did a great job.

+1 Clear coat wheels. Easy cleanup.

-1 Clear coat scratches too easily on wheels.

+1 This baby is well balanced. When I take my hands off the grips in cruise control it tracks straight as an arrow.

+1 Bike is very stable in winds.

-1 Way too much effort required to change air filter.

+1 Plugs will be easy to change.

+1 Oil & filter change is a snap.

+1 Smooth surfaces for easy cleanup. Honda did a good job putting a lot of smooth surfaces on the bike to cover crooks and crannies.

-1 Too many Trunk 'False Open' messages. The trunk open message should stay on for no more than 5 seconds instead of staying on and blocking the screen.

-1 Trunk operation sucks. When new, the trunk lever opened the trunk easily. Now I have to press down on the trunk to open it, otherwise I'm afraid I may break the lever. The latch mechanism needs to be redesigned or allow adjustment.

Besides the lack of airflow with the big windshield, did you get use to looking through the windshield instead of over it? We have a ST1300 and keep thinking we will go with a GW in a couple more years. We are going on an Alaskan cruise next week and have a GW rented for 1/2 a day in Ketchikan, because there was nothing else we wanted to do there. Looking forward to seeing if we like it or not, even though wil only get to ride it for maybe 100 - 150 miles.

David
2008 Kawasaki Versys (past)
Two-Up, Two-Wheels, Two-gether:Switzerland
Steelybeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:34 PM   #33
GSteve
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
Hello, and welcome to goldwings.

I just bought a new 2012 wing and finished a 5k mile trip out west on it. The wing is very good at eating up the miles, but is a big heavy bike. I still have my ST1300 and appreciate both bikes. My only nit is that the goldwing transmission is not as smooth shifting as my ST1300 and other bikes. Also the air flow over the windscreen does not provide enough cooling in hot conditions.

Here's the review I posted on the goldwing forum --

I've had my new 2012 for one month now. These are some observations based on 5000 miles of use. Most observations apply to previous years as well.

Color: WHITE
Model: AUDIO COMFORT NAVI XM ABS

+1 The new 2012 wing has improved looks. I waited until 2012 for its better esthetics. Many hate the new looks but I think they're just frustrated because they own the boring old design.

+1 The best two up machine out there.

+1 Wow, what a great Horn the wing has.

+1 The head lights are very impressive.

-1 The goldwing tranny is clunky. Too bad. It detracts from an otherwise fine bike.
P.S. ~~ I've adjusted to it now. The tranny responds best to crisp, rapid shifts.

-1 The barn door of a windshield does not allow enough air over the top for cooling in the summer. I know it has a vent but it's not enough for me. I'm used to the full in your face wind that I get on my ST1300. I'll have to look into an aftermarket short ws.

-1 Bike needs electrically operated ws like the ST1300. Perhaps in a future wing.

+1 The TPS (Tire Pressure System) saved my bacon. This feature works!!! About 2500 miles into my trip I had a rear puncture. Usually I've had no problem plugging tires, but this time the tire kicked out 5 plugs and each time the TPS warned me so I could pull over safely. I was able to limp into Monticello Utah on the sixth plug to have the tire replaced. The owner of Hondaland was really helpful and did a great job.

+1 Clear coat wheels. Easy cleanup.

-1 Clear coat scratches too easily on wheels.

+1 This baby is well balanced. When I take my hands off the grips in cruise control it tracks straight as an arrow.

+1 Bike is very stable in winds.

-1 Way too much effort required to change air filter.

+1 Plugs will be easy to change.

+1 Oil & filter change is a snap.

+1 Smooth surfaces for easy cleanup. Honda did a good job putting a lot of smooth surfaces on the bike to cover crooks and crannies.

-1 Too many Trunk 'False Open' messages. The trunk open message should stay on for no more than 5 seconds instead of staying on and blocking the screen.

-1 Trunk operation sucks. When new, the trunk lever opened the trunk easily. Now I have to press down on the trunk to open it, otherwise I'm afraid I may break the lever. The latch mechanism needs to be redesigned or allow adjustment.
I have a 2010 and have the same issue with the stock windscreen. The GL is a hot ride in the summer. Also, for such a big bike, it is one of the easiest to ride. The clunky transmission and the throttle is somewhat snatchy at low speeds are also negative. But, all in all quite a package.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:19 PM   #34
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelybeast View Post
... have a GW rented for 1/2 a day in Ketchikan, because there was nothing else we wanted to do there. Looking forward to seeing if we like it or not, even though wil only get to ride it for maybe 100 - 150 miles.

David
If you manage to put 100 to 150 miles on a bike in Ketchikan, you'll be seeing the same spots numerous times. When I lived there in the late 50's it was only about 10 miles to the end of the South Tongass hwy, and maybe 30 to the end of North Tongass Hwy. Be sure to take your raingear. But even in the rain it's a beautiful place.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:24 PM   #35
Juanjo_NY
Made in Argentina

Oddometer: 4,554
my take on GoldWings..

;)
Old 08-23-2011, 10:30 PM   #36
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
i just bought a new goldwing for my adventures. i had a bandit 1250 and was looking for vstroms. the strom may come later too. does anyone here ride goldwings? the goldwing forum is a negative place to hangout...
Yep, Gold Wings too. They're a go-anywhere bike, if you want them to be.

Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:13 PM   #37
ACDNate
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSteve View Post
I have a 2010 and have the same issue with the stock windscreen. The GL is a hot ride in the summer. Also, for such a big bike, it is one of the easiest to ride. The clunky transmission and the throttle is somewhat snatchy at low speeds are also negative. But, all in all quite a package.
The windshield itself isn't so terrible and I don't think it's the real culprit as far as airflow behind the fairing. The Baker Airwings (or similar) are really a must have if you live in a warmer climate.
2007 Honda CRF150R
2005 Honda CRF100F
ACDNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:43 PM   #38
GSteve
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDNate View Post
The windshield itself isn't so terrible and I don't think it's the real culprit as far as airflow behind the fairing. The Baker Airwings (or similar) are really a must have if you live in a warmer climate.
The Baker Airwings may be a solutions, but an electrically adjustable windscreen would be the real answer and look better too.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:57 PM   #39
wildbill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelybeast View Post
Besides the lack of airflow with the big windshield, did you get use to looking through the windshield instead of over it? We have a ST1300 and keep thinking we will go with a GW in a couple more years. We are going on an Alaskan cruise next week and have a GW rented for 1/2 a day in Ketchikan, because there was nothing else we wanted to do there. Looking forward to seeing if we like it or not, even though wil only get to ride it for maybe 100 - 150 miles.

David
I look over the windshield at the lowest setting. Some like looking through the shield but that's not for me. Renting is a good way to try before you buy. I bought the wing for cheap as a machine for my wife and I to take trips and it serves us well. I call it the white ghost. May get "ghost" as my plate.

2012 Goldwing

wildbill screwed with this post 08-24-2011 at 07:12 PM
wildbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:58 AM   #40
WhatThaFrig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanjo_NY View Post
my take on GoldWings..

;)
My inspiration for my 82 GL1100.
1982 GL1100 Standard
1980 GS550
WhatThaFrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:34 PM   #41
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Oddometer: 3,271
I love ratbike Goldwings

When I do get one it will be a tough decision, rat one out or buy a newer luxury cruiser.
If it's a newer one, this will be the first mod - http://www.mblinnovations.com/customgw.html
Old 08-26-2011, 01:43 PM   #42
welnamark
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
I've got a 76 Gl1000. Excellent bike. Just got back from a 3800 mile tour on her. Here she is after a bath right outside Glacier National Park.

And here she is in the middle of nowhere in Montana.

welnamark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:48 PM   #43
Juanjo_NY
Made in Argentina

Oddometer: 4,554
GORGEOUS!!!!!!
never seen that fairing before.. looks GREAT, and the color is super nice too!
Old 08-26-2011, 02:00 PM   #44
welnamark
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
GORGEOUS!!!!!!
never seen that fairing before.. looks GREAT, and the color is super nice too!
Thanks! The fairing is a Don Vesco Rapid Transit. On the trip several people asked me if it was a BMW RS fairing which is likely why i was attracted to it. The R100RS is my dream vintage touring bike.

The GL1000 was a competent tourer though even two up and fully loaded. It gave us little trouble. Here is a picture of the bike loaded up in Yellowstone.

welnamark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:19 PM   #45
BigIron
Tenured Prof - Leghump U.

Oddometer: 793
Quote:
my take on GoldWings..

;)

Damn it, I've thought about doing something like that.

Now I'm gonna have to.

BigIron is offline   Reply With Quote