ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2011, 02:12 PM   #1
dabracing OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465
Southern Oregon ride recommendations

Greetings,

I have 4 days to dedicate to a ride either starting this Sunday or next. I will be leaving from Sacramento area, driving the truck to Yreka, where I will unload my GPS equipped 950 SE and start my ride. I have ridden Oregon several times before and have found it spectacular, especially this time of year when it's temperatures are milder than California.

I will have camping equipment and prefer to ride mostly off-road, so......can anyone recommend some rides/routes? I can piece them together if needed. In the past I have 'winged it' and been successful, but I did probably 60/40 pavement/dirt and it's easier to follow the map/GPS.

Thanks in advance.
dabracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:25 PM   #2
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,697
There are a lot of forest service roads south of Applegate, but I donít know where they go in California. Iíve been driving and found myself in California and didnít know it, so the roads must go somewhere down near Yreka...but I donít know where. Yreka is not too far from Ashland or Applegate as the crow flies, so you should be able to find something to come up around there (Mt. Ashland/Colestine Rd. goes into California but I donít know how far), or near Happy Camp, CA up near Cave Junction/OíBrien maybe. I just realized after typing all this, it really not very helpful.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:28 PM   #3
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,786
Not in Ride Reports, moved to Regionals...
Old 08-17-2011, 03:02 PM   #4
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,800
Attached is nice loop I plan to ride first week in October. Sounds like just what you have in mind. Let me know what you think.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx COIN.gpx (1.11 MB, 63 views)
R-dubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:36 PM   #5
dabracing OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-dubb View Post
Attached is nice loop I plan to ride first week in October. Sounds like just what you have in mind. Let me know what you think.
I cannot open GPX files, wtf? I have Mapsource and I searched all kinds of programs that say they allow you to open GPX files but they're all full of crap, they want to charge you and run some clean-up programs. Any ideas?
Old 08-17-2011, 09:36 PM   #6
Beerslayer
Journeyman Bike Knocker

Oddometer: 3,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabracing View Post
I cannot open GPX files, wtf? I have Mapsource and I searched all kinds of programs that say they allow you to open GPX files but they're all full of crap, they want to charge you and run some clean-up programs. Any ideas?
You can upload the GPX files into your GPS if you have one of the non-brain dead ones. I tried one of the cheaper new Garmins and all I could do was put in an address or search for the closest Starbucks. Worthless. I can import a GPX file into my 9 year old Garmin V because it is a real GPS.

That probably isn't that helpful, but if you check in the GPS haven in the Basement, there is probably more than you want to know about GPX files. The GPS nerds have already covered it in excruciating detail, kind of like in a motor oil thread
Road Rash Riding Roatan
Beerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:14 AM   #7
dabracing OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I was able to drag and drop it out of my documents file directly onto open mapsource.
R-Dubb, that looks like a great route, I PM'd you with some questions.

Anyone have some others? Looks like I'll probably leave Sunday, so I'm trying to get things in order.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:05 PM   #8
dabracing OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I did the ride R-Dubb recommended, however due to time constraints, I had to cut out the northern end of the loop to accomodate the 4 days alotted.
It was a stellar ride with absolutely stunning variety of terrain and views. I discussed with him some changes that need to be made due to extinct/non existent roads.
Thanks to R-Dubb for the route, till next time......
Old 08-27-2011, 10:48 PM   #9
shasta650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Go West

Top of Mt Ashland go west, miles of FS roads along amazing ridges,views toward Red Buttes, Applegate Lake, Sort of follows the PCT lots of options ,we used maps fun!!
shasta650 is offline   Reply With Quote