User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2011, 08:24 PM   #196
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,173
Model is finished I think.

I went ahead and modeled the whole thing. Everything should fit nicely now. Now I just need a machine shop who can build it. Anyone?

RE: adv95004
Glad to hear it
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:32 PM   #197
BENRON
I'm Mr. Crabtree

Oddometer: 3,463
Nice work with the solidworks Modeling! Helluva investment if you just bought it for yourself! (It's my dayjob)

Izzata Stock enclosure machined to your Specs or did you go completely custom?
BENRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:40 PM   #198
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

SolidWorks was a gift from my wife. DO NOT TELL ME HOW MUCH IT COST!!!!!

I drew up everything except the joystick internals and the side plug. Those joystick internals are from an XBOX but I'm using a Playstation joystick. They are identical except for the knob which I'm not using anyway. I modeled the custom knob based on a rubber sealing nut I found at digi-key. I drew it up based on a schematic. The cross section isn't right, but all the important details are spot on. It took me about 3 hours to be able to anything with it, but I started that yesterday midday. I figure I spent 10 hours on it. I even modeled all my own ANSI and ACME threads. It took a little research to learn how it's done but it was a good learning experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENRON View Post
Nice work with the solidworks Modeling! Helluva investment if you just bought it for yourself! (It's my dayjob)

Izzata Stock enclosure that is machined to your Specs or did you go completely custom?
Old 08-29-2011, 05:59 AM   #199
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
I went ahead and modeled the whole thing. Everything should fit nicely now. Now I just need a machine shop who can build it. Anyone?

Glad to hear it

I wonder if that guy Ivan Sandman can build it. He has done some custom aluminum parts for the WRR, and may have a contact to build the body of this little gadget.....

Here is a link to some of his stuff:

http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t1...parts-for-sale
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:16 AM   #200
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
I wonder if that guy Ivan Sandman can build it. He has done some custom aluminum parts for the WRR, and may have a contact to build the body of this little gadget.....
Good idea. I've actually purchased parts from him in the past for my WR².
Old 08-29-2011, 06:32 AM   #201
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,175
Quote:
SolidWorks was a gift from my wife. DO NOT TELL ME HOW MUCH IT COST!!!!!
ok!

What kind of connection is the data cable? Maybe you go with an 1828 and 2266 on this page. THey are somewhat more common, and at are what's used on Goldwings.

EDIT: http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...s/dinconn.html.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.

beechum1 screwed with this post 08-29-2011 at 07:09 AM
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:48 AM   #202
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
ok!

What kind of connection is the data cable? Maybe you go with an 1828 and 2266 on this page. THey are somewhat more common, and at are what's used on Goldwings.
Can you link those up so I can see them. As you can imagine a google search on a 4 digit number didn't get me far.

The connector you see is this. The other end will have two USB ends. One female mini USB for source power and the other end male micro USB for the phone. The mini USB will plug into a Garmin Nuvi power supply, they are cheap, easy to find 12-24VDC to 5VDC converters running at 1.5A. Perfect for our needs. That runs into the box and splits, 5VDC goes right into the cable that goes to the phone, the other split goes to a transformer and steps it down to 3.3VDC to power the micro controller and other electronics. A standard USB signal along with the 5VDC goes to the phone which takes care of the rest. I'll be making the cables by hand which is why I went with putting the power junction in the box. It's water tight so its pretty easy comparatively. I don't really know anything about doing any of this though. I'm just playing it by .
Old 08-29-2011, 07:22 AM   #203
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Can you link those up so I can see them. As you can imagine a google search on a 4 digit number didn't get me far.

The connector you see is this. The other end will have two USB ends. One female mini USB for source power and the other end male micro USB for the phone. The mini USB will plug into a Garmin Nuvi power supply, they are cheap, easy to find 12-24VDC to 5VDC converters running at 1.5A. Perfect for our needs. That runs into the box and splits, 5VDC goes right into the cable that goes to the phone, the other split goes to a transformer and steps it down to 3.3VDC to power the micro controller and other electronics. A standard USB signal along with the 5VDC goes to the phone which takes care of the rest. I'll be making the cables by hand which is why I went with putting the power junction in the box. It's water tight so its pretty easy comparatively. I don't really know anything about doing any of this though. I'm just playing it by .

mmm, ok. 10-4. wiring up like that.... that's great! For mounting to the bike, you could always go with a hole spacing for the RAM ball on the cover. May not get the remote close to the fingers, but I suppose stopping isn't out of the question. for a turnkey solution, use the U-bolts like RAM does to get around the bars to a mounting plate that would secure the box to the handle bars. Something removable....

Can't be more than a few oz's right? the complete box.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:33 AM   #204
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Can't be more than a few oz's right? the complete box.
It will be light. My ABS prototype weighs almost nothing and its 50% thicker than the aluminum version. It's pretty small, like I said the longest dimension you see is about 2 inches.

I want to mount my box to the left mirror mount. That will work for a lot of people. RAM is another solution I've considered. I don't want that but other will like it. It's small enough that a standard ram threads won't fit. I might need to make a custom back with the ball built in.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:34 AM   #205
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Glad to hear it
The majority of the cost for prototyping will be in the toolpath creation. When you find someone, ask if you can buy the toolpath, so if you goto another place you can hand over that file too, and save you alot of time and money in the future. Not always possible, that's where they make most of their money, but worth axin.

a few links maybe worth checking out.... well, one anyway. I don't know where my others are. I hope I didn't loose them.

How to Make a Three Axis CNC Machine (Cheaply and Easily)
Old 08-29-2011, 07:37 AM   #206
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

I have a buddy with a manual 3-axis, could get you some prototype parts for cheap or free, but it won't be quick. He's backed up this week and the next.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:37 AM   #207
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
The majority of the cost for prototyping will be in the toolpath creation. When you find someone, ask if you can buy the toolpath, so if you goto another place you can hand over that file too, and save you alot of time and money in the future. Not always possible, that's where they make most of their money, but worth axin.

a few links maybe worth checking out.... well, one anyway. I don't know where my others are. I hope I didn't loose them.

How to Make a Three Axis CNC Machine (Cheaply and Easily)
SolidWorks doesn't do that? There is not doubt an opensource package for that. Skeinforge comes to mind...
Old 08-29-2011, 07:40 AM   #208
Cromoth
Inspection due 5_31

Oddometer: 531
velcro mount

if it's light & you have enuf surface area, might velcro work?

Quote:
It will be light. My ABS prototype weighs almost nothing and its 50% thicker than the aluminum version. It's pretty small, like I said the longest dimension you see is about 2 inches.

I want to mount my box to the left mirror mount. That will work for a lot of people. RAM is another solution I've considered. I don't want that but other will like it. It's small enough that a standard ram threads won't fit. I might need to make a custom back with the ball built in.
Cromoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:44 AM   #209
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

or just an adapter plate available for those....
Old 08-29-2011, 07:45 AM   #210
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
SolidWorks doesn't do that? There is not doubt an opensource package for that. Skeinforge comes to mind...
hadn't seen that, thanks.