User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2011, 09:26 AM   #106
julesmt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
So it sounds like KTM is still having some fueling issues with these engines. Does anyone know if they are getting any better with the latest couple year models or if there is a re-flash, etc, to make it any better?
The feulling on my `09 isnt really great. I`ve got leovince pipes + mapping and a progressive throttle tube. The mods make it better, but not 100%.

I`ve heard the `11 bikes are better, I should try to get the `11 mapping om my bike. See if its any better.
julesmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:50 PM   #107
-GUV-
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by julesmt View Post
I like to slide the bike into corners (and sometimes out of corners), that really eats the tires. The road surface also has a big impact on tirewear, I often ride in france and the black forrest in germany, most of the road surface there is like sanding paper. Normally I change the fronts at the sametime with the rear, front is not reall worn out but because of the uneven wear the bike doesnt handle neutral anymore.

I think I once got 7500 Km (4600 mls) out of a road 2.
You must be 50kg's if your "sliding in and out of corners" and getting 7,500km out of tyres, you should ride motoGP.
-GUV- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:20 PM   #108
julesmt
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by -GUV- View Post
You must be 50kg's if your "sliding in and out of corners" and getting 7,500km out of tyres, you should ride motoGP.

If you would have read my previous post you would have seen I normally get 5 - 6000 km out of a pilot road 2. I dont slide it into every turn. Just some playing around every now and then.

I once got 7500 km out of a road2 on a trip to norway, with about 1500 motorway, few days of rain and mostly sensible riding.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:55 AM   #109
dougn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
new SMT owner:

is there a single outlet 2 into 1 muffler available for the SMT? and how much weight is saved (typically) by aftermarket cans?
dougn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:03 AM   #110
brmc22
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Nothing important to add to this thread, but I demoed a SMT this past weekend and I loved it. It was so much lighter and comfortable than I thought it would be. Even the little windshield worked great. The handling and engine were awesome. Ugh, I think I need one.
brmc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:12 AM   #111
JJGeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougn View Post
new SMT owner:

is there a single outlet 2 into 1 muffler available for the SMT? and how much weight is saved (typically) by aftermarket cans?
Not that I've seen...and I've looked quite a bit. I just went with the Leo Vince 990SM slip-ons. I'd guess they saved about 12-15 lbs combined.
WMRRA #98
JJGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:41 AM   #112
dougn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJGeo View Post
Not that I've seen...and I've looked quite a bit. I just went with the Leo Vince 990SM slip-ons. I'd guess they saved about 12-15 lbs combined.

a single outlet would be so cool. one could fab a simple alum aux fuel tank for the other side
dougn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:22 PM   #113
ChrisK7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
I once got 7500 km out of a road2 on a trip to norway, with about 1500 motorway, few days of rain and mostly sensible riding.[/QUOTE]

Sensible riding on a KTM????? Your a better man than I....
Old 08-31-2011, 02:53 PM   #114
julesmt
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK7 View Post
I once got 7500 km out of a road2 on a trip to norway, with about 1500 motorway, few days of rain and mostly sensible riding.
Sensible riding on a KTM????? Your a better man than I....[/QUOTE]

You cant ride everywhere like a loony, specially if speeding tickets cost 700 euro for 20 km to fast
Old 10-02-2011, 02:48 PM   #115
Falcon4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK7 View Post
Sensible riding on a KTM????? Your a better man than I....[/QUOTE]

How do you think it compares to the multistrada 1200?
Old 10-02-2011, 03:14 PM   #116
Whip
Onward through the fog

Oddometer: 607
This may be what I am looking for.

Anyone know if this will fit on a SMT?

http://advtank.com/

I'm their leader...Which way did they go???
Whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:03 PM   #117
Fubars
What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer: 1,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip View Post
Don't know if it'll fit, but if I owned an SMT, I'd be contacting that vendor ASAP. That and the connector pipe are really nice.
Fubars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:53 PM   #118
Lambo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 604
I did

It does not fit.

Support Mental Health or I'll Kill you.

Ironically, Chuck Norris’ hidden talent is invisibility.
Lambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:27 PM   #119
ChrisK7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon4 View Post
Sensible riding on a KTM????? Your a better man than I....
How do you think it compares to the Multistrada 1200?[/QUOTE]

If your asking me about the differences in the KTM and the Multistrada, I've only had a couple test rides on the SMT at the KTM rally in Lake Tahoe the other weekend.
I was very impressed with KTM's fuel injection. It was super smooth to me without any hiccups typical of fuel injection systems. I thought it was better than the Ducati in that dept. The bike handled very well and was a hoot to ride. I thought it could use a little more HP but it was at around 6000+ ft altitude too. I didn't get any long time in the seat and it had the touring windscreen on it. The ergos felt good like the Multistrada 1200s that I own now.
All in all I really couldn't complain about any aspect of the SMT. I would love to have one and will probably own one some day.
Right now I have the 1200s Ducati and I'm very happy with it. It is an expensive bike but it truly is like 4 bikes in one with the different suspension and power modes. It is nice to be able to push a button and have a good handling and riding bike on every type of road there is out there.
I just got home from a 2450 mile trip to the Black Hills in SD. I very much enjoyed the bike on the trip. The Multi does have a lot of electronics going on though. I've had a few little annoying electrical problems with it and the only Ducati dealers are 200 miles away from me so that is a pain in the ass. Lucky they have not stranded me. The grip heat quit on me and once in a while I get an error message about the suspension system. Everything seems to work OK I just get random error messages once in a while.
The Duc wins hands down in the power delivery dept. Handling I would say the Duc wins there too, but it should with the high dollar suspension it has.
I thought the KTM had very good suspension too just not quite as good as the Duc.
I am able to ride well over 650 miles a day on the Duc and not have any pain at all. I'm pretty sure I could do the same on the KTM.
Both bikes seem to have pretty good side bag systems that I can live with and they had the hard case system on the SMT at the rally. I thought it was a great system and liked it better than my Duc.
Finally, I would probably feel a little better about taking the KTM on the dirt roads than the Duc, mainly because of the cost of the Duc. I do ride once in a while on the dirt with the Duc and it handles it very well but I have the Adventure 950 for that stuff.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:19 AM   #120
Falcon4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by some_finn View Post
This is an SW Motech promo pic as the stickers show but the "KTM" hard panniers are SW Motech items. As are the bash plate, tank guards and the centerstand.

Looks better without a tank bag.