Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2011, 05:37 PM   #24196
bpg
Off Trail

Oddometer: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerson.biguns View Post

Read the tire changing thread. Watch youtube videos on changing. Put a little air in the tube before you spoon the tire back on to the rim. Don't jam the spoons deep into the rim.

word to yo motha... I've always done as you prescribe, never had a pinch flat yet (knock on butyl rubber) Definitely a process you want to take your time with in the comfort of home the first few times, under little duress. By a few tire changes, you'll be adapt at doing it ~ANYWHERE~ - which is good because that's where the WRR might take you!
'02 Honda CBR1100XX

bpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:19 PM   #24197
Cromoth
Inspection due 5_31

Oddometer: 531
FMF heat shield spoon

Thanks! It should be 1 bolt/nut to remove to use the spoon for trailside repairs. Question is which way to secure it: tap or weld or another method ya'll think of?
$35/30min shop time - they say they can do either. I'm leaning toward the tap.

FWIW this started at post 24246, right after the license plate heat shield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpg View Post
wasn't sure what you were going for at first, but I have to say I like it - great way to store the spoon and also shield the luggage from the exhaust, in one fell swoop - go for it!
Cromoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:19 PM   #24198
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpg View Post
word to yo motha... I've always done as you prescribe, never had a pinch flat yet (knock on butyl rubber) Definitely a process you want to take your time with in the comfort of home the first few times, under little duress. By a few tire changes, you'll be adapt at doing it ~ANYWHERE~ - which is good because that's where the WRR might take you!
I've changed tires four or five times now and the tire changing thread was a huge help. I've only pinched a tube one other time (that was on the front too). I don't know what I'm doing now that's causing the probs...
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:20 AM   #24199
Jäger
Osons

Oddometer: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisspy View Post
So I want to make a heat shield from a 15" tire spoon. The spoon is curved & fits into the passenger foot peg bracket. the other end is flat & it's basically 1" wide.

I have a 60mm (crome) & 70mm (stainless) version of the stock 10mm bolt. There's also a spacer so the bolt holds the muffler braket down. How do I secure the flat end of the spoon to the long bolt?

2 ideas so far:
1: tap the head so a M3 (like the bolt that holds on a skid plate) can screw in. Would need an oval hole thru the spoon since it's at an angle.
2: weld the head of the M3 to the head of the long bolt so the shaft sticks out & can secure the spoon at a 90 deg angle.

All this so the Giantloop Coyote doesn't touch the FMF muffler. I like that it goes back to stock easily & seems to be a great way to store the spoon.

It should be 1 bolt/nut to remove to use the spoon for trailside repairs. Question is which way to secure it: tap or weld or another method ya'll think of?

Any other ideas?
I'll propose an alternative idea.

There's always Giant Loop's protector, ready made, which costs less than the shop time is going to cost you and probably goes back to stock even quicker.

I have the Motion Pro tire spoons with an axle nut wrench at the end, one for each axle. They're very light, nest very nicely in minimal space in the fender bag where the rest of the tire change stuff resides, accept their socket converter, and work like a hot damn. I don't think I would have them tapped or welded on, even if it was for free. You've still got a few other things to store that are needed for changing a flat... how much room are you saving by screwing with just one of the spoons to make it do double duty as a heat shield?

I'm sure you've got a plan all laid out, but I kind of like having my spare tube, patch kit, pump, irons, etc all together in one place in a fender bag or whatever, without having to start messing with my GL and whatever is mounted around it. Giant Loop already has their ready-made heat shield, and you could probably recreate it in 15 minutes with a couple of band clamps, some scrap thin sheet metal, some tin snips, and a vise if you really wanted to go low dollar.

I think I also recall a few people having some fab work done on their FMF so that the stock heat shield would bolt on when needed.
Jäger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:06 AM   #24200
Roonie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jäger View Post
I'll propose an alternative idea.

There's always Giant Loop's protector, ready made, which costs less than the shop time is going to cost you and probably goes back to stock even quicker.

Giant Loop already has their ready-made heat shield, and you could probably recreate it in 15 minutes with a couple of band clamps, some scrap thin sheet metal, some tin snips, and a vise if you really wanted to go low dollar.
I have the giant loop protector for my FMF muffler on my WR and it was easy. $25 dollars later and everything is protected. No more worrying about burning stuff on the muffler. I got a fender bag and mounted it to my front fender and that holds all my tubes and tools for tires stuff and bike repair.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:23 PM   #24201
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roonie View Post
I have the giant loop protector for my FMF muffler on my WR and it was easy. $25 dollars later and everything is protected. No more worrying about burning stuff on the muffler. I got a fender bag and mounted it to my front fender and that holds all my tubes and tools for tires stuff and bike repair.
Got any pics?

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:41 PM   #24202
Roonie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
No but I can take some soon.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:43 PM   #24203
Rufjeep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisspy View Post
Thanks! It should be 1 bolt/nut to remove to use the spoon for trailside repairs. Question is which way to secure it: tap or weld or another method ya'll think of?

FWIW this started at post 24246, right after the license plate heat shield.
I definately applaud your ingenuity. But, do you really want to have to remove any luggage you might be carrying just to get to your tire spoon?
Rufjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:53 PM   #24204
Cromoth
Inspection due 5_31

Oddometer: 531
FMF GL heat shield

Definitely looking forward to pics of GL's heat shield with luggage (coyote?) mounted.

I looked at it on their website but didn't think it'd do the job on the WRR since there's no plastic shield above like on their pix of the KTM.
Thanks for all the comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roonie View Post
Cromoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:24 PM   #24205
malibu_dan
Adventuring Mystic

Oddometer: 1,429
Working on the install write-up and review for the Britannia Composites Lynx fairing. Been riding with it for a week, and I had high expectations for it to meet... I'll have it all up on wrrdualsport.com in the next week or so. We'll put some mixed miles on it this weekend also.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:53 PM   #24206
thumpjump
huh?

Oddometer: 97
Dawn To Dusk 12 Hour Enduro

This is how I spent last weekend!

Dawn to Dusk 12 hour (Actually 13 hour) Enduro in Wales, U.K. WRR performed flawlessly. The other bike is my teammates KTM 400EXC. Go Team Allied Farce!!

Pre-Race Photo

After Lap 1 of 6

thumpjump screwed with this post 08-31-2011 at 05:52 AM
thumpjump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:19 AM   #24207
makad
P/T Shed Dwelling Hermit

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibu_dan View Post
Working on the install write-up and review for the Britannia Composites Lynx fairing. Been riding with it for a week, and I had high expectations for it to meet... I'll have it all up on wrrdualsport.com in the next week or so. We'll put some mixed miles on it this weekend also.

......cant wait
makad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:24 AM   #24208
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpjump View Post
This is how I spent last weekend!

Dawn to Dusk 12 hour (Actually 13 hour) Enduro in Wales, U.K. WRR performed flawlessly. The other bike is my teammates KTM 400EXC. Go Team Allied Farce!!

Great!
I love that stuff. Congrats!

Phil
flatboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:32 PM   #24209
Doctor Zed
Resident

Oddometer: 1,198
Hey guys. I wanted to order Flatland Racing radiator guards for my wifes WR and is it true they only make them for one side?
I thought that was kinda funny
Doctor Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:36 PM   #24210
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Zed View Post
Hey guys. I wanted to order Flatland Racing radiator guards for my wifes WR and is it true they only make them for one side? I thought that was kinda funny
It is funny. Unlike your namesake DR.Zed there is only one radiator on the WR.
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote