Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2011, 09:45 PM   #76
SimpleSimon
Aspiring advrider

Oddometer: 3,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrasser View Post
I agree.

Nothing, NOTHING, NOTHING can equal the "holee chit", eyeballs going out the back of your head sensation of a modern liter bike with the throttle pinned in 1st and 2nd gear.

Remember when they would do the jump to light speed in Star Wars? That is what a late model 1000cc sportbike feels like when you drop the hammer.

BTW, I'm on the far side of 55 myself and I'm kinda' eyeing the S1000RR or the K1300S. We only live once.........
This. Power wheelie anything in the first three gears with ease.

"Assembled Spectator Scoring With Incriminating Photographic Evidence" or A.S.S.W.I.P.E. - Granparacer
SimpleSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:42 PM   #77
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,079
Question VFRism?

...any opinions on the VFR750F for an old dude? 1994 with 40K to be exact...

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:00 PM   #78
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,582
VFR isn't even on the same planet as a modern literbike. For the VFR type though, there is nothing that can replace it. I've most certainly never been one of those people though.

I say ride a balls out S1000RR. Then go ride a Multistrada 1200 Touring, and make up the mind. The Multistrada has I think a fair amount of the liter bike, even a lot of the same bells and whistles (maybe even more) packaged in something more comfortable. A guy I know said that the second fasted bike/rider at a recent track day was a guy on a Multi. He and the lead bike were flying. Knowing this guy and his observations have me wanting to check it out at least.

For me, I'd still want the S1000RR, but I might feel different after a few hours on it.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:28 PM   #79
Brian 250
Captain Insane-O

Oddometer: 66
You'll have a hard time finding anyone that will talk bad about a VFR.

Again, though.....its apples vs watermelons to a modern literbike.

Anyone who hasn't ridden one just doen't get it, I guess. It is stupid, stupid, retarded how fast they are.
Brian 250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:44 PM   #80
acap650
acap650

Oddometer: 606
How old is too old?

This 90 year old gent was oldest rider at our BMW club (4windsbmwriders) rally this year. Go Jack!

acap650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:46 AM   #81
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Oddometer: 3,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaLink View Post
. Something in me forgets why a short uncomfortable high rpm repli racer is not my cup of tea. I think it's the power to weight ratio and me thinking a sub-2 hour ride wouldn't be that uncomfortable.

If you buy a bike thinking it won't be that bad, your in for it. As long as you have another bike you can actually ride.

foreign lands and alien birds, hear stories that no ones heard-D.A.D.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Zerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:47 AM   #82
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Oddometer: 3,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by acap650 View Post
This 90 year old gent was oldest rider at our BMW club (4windsbmwriders) rally this year. Go Jack!
Until he posts in whats the largest thing you have ran over, and its a child on the sidewalk.

foreign lands and alien birds, hear stories that no ones heard-D.A.D.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Zerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:20 PM   #83
Trans4ormer
B to V 1983

Oddometer: 54
62 years old and have been riding street/off-road for 48 years...sold the Goldwing and looking for something FUN. Retired to the Ozarks for the quality of motorcycle roads/riding...38 miles from my driveway to Push Mountain Road and only 3 miles to The Devil's Backbone...Aprilia Tuono or a Super Duke are sure looking good.
Trans4ormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:02 PM   #84
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer: 2,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterjunkie View Post
I recently got the bug for something more performance oriented and bought a Speed Triple....I'm I gonna want someting faster than that? I'm worried about my license now....(I'm a whippersnapper at 40......and a half!)
Me too. Plenty fast enough, thank you. And compared to the Speed Triple, every other bike steers too slowly!
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:03 PM   #85
ddeitz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian 250 View Post
You'll have a hard time finding anyone that will talk bad about a VFR.

Again, though.....its apples vs watermelons to a modern literbike.

Anyone who hasn't ridden one just doen't get it, I guess. It is stupid, stupid, retarded how fast they are.
I couldn't agree more, and with our nanny laws I'm not sure how they are even allowed to be sold with more than 2 gears.. Even that is too many. However I love mine to death and the smile it puts on my face every time I give it gas is well worth it. Single best thing I've ever bought.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=50.156740,-96.884865
ddeitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:00 AM   #86
tenderfoot
PRJ

Oddometer: 1,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerk View Post
If you buy a bike thinking it won't be that bad, your in for it. As long as you have another bike you can actually ride.
Agreed, I added to the 1200GS a 999S while I still can fit (59), problem is that the GS is on battery tender while the Duc gets regular use. The speed (where appropriate) becomes addictive.
tenderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:14 AM   #87
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,318
Quote:
Younger and more flexibile without knowing the definition of cramping saw me being a sportbike wannabe streetracer. I didn't cross the line of leather jacket with a big number on the back or slapping a girl on the back with her tramp stamp and whale tail high in the air, but I was close to that poseur. Age and wisdom saw me on more upright rides like a Vmax or Street Triple.

So I don't know why a CBR1000RR or BMWS1000 are being tested today. Something in me forgets why a short uncomfortable high rpm repli racer is not my cup of tea. I think it's the power to weight ratio and me thinking a sub-2 hour ride wouldn't be that uncomfortable.

Not a track within 7 hours of home. But many dealers hawking these hyper powerful bikes to unknowing 20 somethings and guy much older who should know better.
I rode the Diavel... BOING! Killer power with gentlemanly ergos. A great compromise!
Old 10-28-2012, 06:56 AM   #88
nedodjija
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 657
Quote:
Tested one. Liked it but I purchased an 08 Speed Triple with Arrows for a great deal. Two years ago, about. May keep it.

Like the looks the uniqueness. It's been reliable (yes, a Triumph reliable). Sound. Ooohs and aaahs and I don't see one ten times a day.

But I miss that fear, the "whoa that was stupid" sensation. I'm responsible and knock on aluminum every day remember not to get to casual riding a weapon on the street. But admittedly I want to ride and be scared. Just sometimes, ha. Realized 99% of my rides are solo and under 2 hours. I've owned R1 and ZX9R before but the midrange lure of the CBR1000RR is attractive for the backroad twisties. And the marketing and 20+hp of the BMW are nice but I'd like to stay away from riding at 10,000 rpm all day long.
I just got an older Speed Triple and that thing has plenty of power for me. My have clip-ons so I feel extra fast. Maybe you just want to get a set of clip-ons if you still have the triple. Or just go and get whatever you think it will blow your clothes off as you ride it!
Old 10-31-2012, 09:15 AM   #89
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,442
Cool2

I'm cheap, either one purchased under $3k, they do just job just fine when you know how to ride them.