Only one radiator!!
Blasphemy!
Thanks.
Doctor Zed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:28 PM   #24212
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,684
I believe the US & German models have the radiator on the right side, while Japan, Oz and the other backwards types are on the left.

Could be wrong, though; what do I know?

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:45 PM   #24213
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,818
And it overheats less than my old DRZ( 2000 kicker) used to. Could also be I am faster on it than I ever was on the DRZ.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:18 PM   #24214
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Oddometer: 10,119
Anyone looking for a WR290R close to Tucson? I think I'm going to put mine on the block here shortly. I've just done a major bike collection realignment and I'm ready for something different.

emerson.biguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:03 PM   #24215
DeArmey
All right

Oddometer: 43
I am looking to add this bike to my stable but seems no one has any to sell and 2012 doesnt look any better. What gives?
DeArmey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:18 PM   #24216
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeArmey View Post
I am looking to add this bike to my stable but seems no one has any to sell and 2012 doesnt look any better. What gives?
I'm really surprised their website is so horribly botched up right now. Maybe give them a call at headquarters: Customer Relations (800) 962-7926 in Cypress, CA.

I've found them pretty helpful in the past.

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:22 PM   #24217
bpg
Off Trail

Oddometer: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpjump View Post
This is how I spent last weekend!

Dawn to Dusk 12 hour (Actually 13 hour) Enduro in Wales, U.K. WRR performed flawlessly. The other bike is my teammates KTM 400EXC. Go Team Allied Farce!!

Pre-Race Photo

After Lap 1 of 6

Way too cool! Really liking the emphasis of ENDURANCE in that enduro, wonder if there is anything like it stateside?
'02 Honda CBR1100XX

bpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:46 PM   #24218
Yaozer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Battery

Hi Folks:

I drained my stock battery last week and killed it. I purchased this battery a while ago for my SV made by a member of another forum. Can I safely run it on my 2008 WRX without causing any problems? Here are the specs:

Modified Dewalt A123 (MDA123) Battery Pack
Weight: 1.5lbs
Dimensions: 4.5”x3”x3.25”
Specs:
4.6Ah
240A Max Pulse Discharge (10 secs)
120A Max Continuous Discharge
Nominal Voltage: 13.2V
Maximum Voltage: 16.8V*
Minimum Voltage: 8V*
*Exceeding the maximum/minimum voltage during Charge/Discharge risks damaging the battery.
Operational Temperature Range: -22 F to +140F
Nominal Operational Temperature: 77F
Storage Temperature Range: -58 F to +140F
Nominal Storage Temperature: 70
Yaozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:56 PM   #24219
ICERIDER
Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 407
IMS 4.7 vacuum pump

Here we go! Long time since I posted so cut me some slack if this doesnt look correct. It's been 2 years since I came across this monster thread and learned about the little WR. Been soaking up all your hard-earned experiances for long enough so it's time I chimed in.
Installed my IMS 4.7 yesterday and found that the wings would not empty. I put 1.5 ltrs of gas into the tank initially and swamped the well at the base of the HP pump. Turned the key and the HP pump primed as normal. Started the engine and watched for the vacuum pump to lift fuel from the wings.....no go. Engine stops due to HP pump-well emptying.
Removed tank and HP pump. I found that I could blow back through the vacuum pump outlet pipe, through the vacuum pump etc, and the air bubbled into the wings. I could also suck gas up from the wings (cant remember gas being this flavour from when I was quite skilled at syphoning. What have they done to it?).
Double checked that my vacuum supply was correct as per IMS instructions, so it had to be the vacuum pump itself. Thinking about it, I should not have been able to blow back throught the vacuum pump due to the internal flapper valves, so perhaps there lay the problem.
Details of the fix tomorrow when I figure how to post photos again. Easy fix, should work for all of you who cant empty the wings.
ICERIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:53 PM   #24220
thumpjump
huh?

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpg View Post
Way too cool! Really liking the emphasis of ENDURANCE in that enduro, wonder if there is anything like it stateside?
I'm wondering the same thing. I really liked the race format. I guess Baja 1000 / 500 (although not exactly State side) would be kinda the same, but more extreme. There's the Barstow to Vegas race too. I'm moving back to the US of A next month, so I need to find something to curb my addiction.
thumpjump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:02 PM   #24221
ICERIDER
Adventure Rider

IMS 4.7 vacuum pump

Mikuni vacuum pump. The brass pipe pointing at you is the little one that protrudes from the rear of the tank and takes the vacuum feed from the motor. Sealed by a single o-ring which sits in the brass well. Gas inlet at the top. Outlet at the bottom.

Cant be much to it. What's inside....

The lid with cavities and the vacuum feed. One paper gasket. Beneath that a combined clear plastic diaphram and rubber gasket. Main body a system of ports. Moving parts are the vacuum actuated clear diaphram and the two little flapper valves.

When vacuum pulse sucks, diaphram lifts ans pulls gas through this flapper valve. Also pulls outlet flapper valve shut so it doesnt pull fuel back up the pipe.

When vacuum pulse pushes, diaphram is depressed. This outlet flapper valve now opens allowing gas to be pushed out and down to the HP pump whilst the inlet is pushed closed. The problem with my pump was the inlet flapper was staying open for some reason. allowing me to blow back up the line, and spoiling the pumping action.

Time to put it all back again (for the first time ) Note I attached the vacuum pump outlet tube this side so I could observe it through the tank filler.

But before putting it back into the tank, I had an idea...there didnt seem to much of a well around the base of the HP pump to hold fuel so I had a little think about that.

A strip cut from a still water bottle held nicely in place with the o-ring. Now why shouldnt that work? Well it's only half of the solution that's why. It will only hold fuel if there's more going into it than going out.

Here you can see with the motor running that fuel is being lifted from the wings. Quite a small flow. Doesnt seem to alter much with revs. Problem is that the HP pump dumps excess fuel out the top against a baffle. It seems to pressurise the system with much more than the motor needs and splashes it all over the place out the top. Good thing is this cools the pump from the inside, so you see it doesnt actually need to be submerged. Bad thing is that it is starving fuel from the base of the pump faster than the vacuum pump can replace it. THERE'S YOUR PROBLEM. The only way it will work reliably is to catch the dumped fuel from the top of the HP pump and put it back into the well. How do you do that? With a plastic water bottle of course
Old 09-01-2011, 06:31 AM   #24222
rydnseek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,888
One of my riding buddies from Florida wrote me about his new seat.. a Sargent. Evidently they now carry them for the WR. I don't remember if anyone has posted a link or used them before, but he wanted me to mention it on the forum. Here it is!

I haven't ridden on it, yet, but he seems pretty happy with it. Here is what he said in his email to me:

"Sargents used my WR to make up a more comfortable seat, just picked it up this morning.
Much wider, lite, and fits perfect."

http://www.sargentcycle.com/yamwswr.htm
rydnseek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:39 AM   #24223
rydnseek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICERIDER View Post
Here we go! Long time since I posted so cut me some slack if this doesnt look correct. It's been 2 years since I came across this monster thread and learned about the little WR. Been soaking up all your hard-earned experiances for long enough so it's time I chimed in.
Installed my IMS 4.7 yesterday and found that the wings would not empty. I put 1.5 ltrs of gas into the tank initially and swamped the well at the base of the HP pump. Turned the key and the HP pump primed as normal. Started the engine and watched for the vacuum pump to lift fuel from the wings.....no go. Engine stops due to HP pump-well emptying.
Removed tank and HP pump. I found that I could blow back through the vacuum pump outlet pipe, through the vacuum pump etc, and the air bubbled into the wings. I could also suck gas up from the wings (cant remember gas being this flavour from when I was quite skilled at syphoning. What have they done to it?).
Double checked that my vacuum supply was correct as per IMS instructions, so it had to be the vacuum pump itself. Thinking about it, I should not have been able to blow back throught the vacuum pump due to the internal flapper valves, so perhaps there lay the problem.
Details of the fix tomorrow when I figure how to post photos again. Easy fix, should work for all of you who cant empty the wings.
Good pics & writeup! I've also not got around to troubleshooting my 4.7 vacuum lift.. when i run out of gas, it doesn't draw from the wings, either. Your water bottle bottom looks like a fairly good solution, as long as the pump is working. When my tank is running empty, i slosh my bike from side to side to reprime the pump. I can get a few more miles that way.

It's only about 1/2 gal that is stuck in the wings.. not a big deal, but we want the whole 4.7 gals!

I'm a little puzzled.. is the mikuni pump in your pictures a separate pump you got? You mount it inside the tank & it helps draw the fuel to the fuel pump?

Thanks again for the great, clear pics & writeup.
rydnseek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:28 AM   #24224
onetravdown
I can't ride where?

Oddometer: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydnseek View Post
I haven't ridden on it, yet, but he seems pretty happy with it. Here is what he said in his email to me:

"Sargents used my WR to make up a more comfortable seat, just picked it up this morning.
Much wider, lite, and fits perfect."

http://www.sargentcycle.com/yamwswr.htm
Looks like a nice seat. But $370? That's a bit much! I didn't even pay that for the one I bought for my VFR. I think I'll stick with my seatconcepts seat at about a 1/3 of the cost.
onetravdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:31 AM   #24225
ICERIDER
Adventure Rider

Thanks Rydnseek, and thanks for the many informative posts from you over time.
The Mikuni vacuum pump is already installed in your 4.7 tank. It's bolted into the lower left rear corner and covered by the front of the seat when mounted. All you can see of it from the outside is the brass nipple which the pulse vacuum from the motor is connected to. If you look inside (no naked flames please ) you will see the body of the Mikuni. Two pipes coming from the brass screws in the wings, going into a 'y' connector, passing through an in-line filter, into the pump inlet, and a single pipe going from the pump outlet to the base of the HP pump.
As you rightly say there is not much gas in the wings anyhow. About 3 ltrs brings the fuel level up to the base of the HP pump and all's well. It's a lot of grief just to get at a few ltrs of fuel, but thats what makes this tank special. Having the fuel level drop below the base of the HP pump takes it out of it's comfort zone. I need to look back and see how Safari got around this point. Fact is there is the hardware installed in the tank and as long as it's pumping fuel from the wings and fuel is being sloshed as you ride you are in with a chance of sufficient fuel being around the base of the HP pump to keep the motor running.
The problem is that the HP pump dumps unwanted excess fuel through a little hole at the top of the pump and sprays it around anywhere but the base. That sprayed fuel is eating into the fuel available at the base and eventually it runs out.....at least on my bike anyway. The vacuum pump cannot replace more fuel at the base than is being sprayed about from the HP pump. That's why the motor he stop!

Some more photos when I get home of the bottle top fitted over the HP pump to capture the excess sprayed fuel and return it to the base. This keeps the HP pump in a very happy pool of fuel until the wings run dry....a bit like a collector tank in an aircraft fuel system.