User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2011, 04:21 PM   #1246
CuberBob
Starter

Oddometer: 80
Kamchat..my hero

Helped a friend host a vintage bike ride this past weekend. Weather was gorgeous.
So, for some reason they keep putting me in front, so all those awesome pictures of people leaning into corners & such are behind me!
Like this:

Here were some of the bikes at the George Custer Memorial. (Turns out that he was born here in Ohio..)

Ahh..but the view ahead was nice too! roll on that throttle!!

2006 Concours

RIP -80 KZ750, 09 Ninja EX500
CuberBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:15 PM   #1247
Bratso
A Heluva Sack o' Potatoes

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamchat View Post
No worries - feel free to 'hijack' away. .............Have you considered, or had a go, riding?
Some people are meant to ride and others are meant to hold on............

plus me riding ------------->

I also am the official family photographer

Bratso

Follow. But. Follow only if ye be men of valour, for the entrance to this cave is guarded by a creature so foul, so cruel that no man yet has fought with it and lived. Bones of full fifty men lie strewn about its lair. So, brave knights, if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further, for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.
Bratso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:25 AM   #1248
Skyclad
Original Bastard

Oddometer: 5,517
Quote:
Please take care riding and taking pics ..... I'm not advocating anything I do ....... I've fallen off a lot over the years.

Good luck.
Well, one of the things I was looking for in a camera was being able to do basic operation with one, gloved hand. I did get some strange looks at the store while checking that.
Skyclad's Wanderings - Bald Eagle Bastards - The Mountains are Calling, and I Must Go
KCCO
Skyclad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:12 AM   #1249
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elder_Rogue View Post
If you please, could you box up a few days worth of that cold and ship it to us here in Texas, it was 112, Sunday.

Keep up the great pictures!

Thanks ......

No worries, you can bid on the two boxes of cold I am selling on E-bay ....current highest bidder is from Nigeria.
Kamchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:24 AM   #1250
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BordenBmw View Post
Come over to Canada, fall is just around the corner...

Love the pics

Love that you love them........ couple more from Sunday ...we had a couple of incidents on our way back from Tyndrum .....firstly the rideout ground to a sudden halt with clouds of smoke billowing out the back of Jimmy's Speed Triple ....at first I thought he had blown his engine.... but it turned out that in a moment of distraction he had someow filled up with diesel by mistake back in Tyndrum .....

Didn't realise at the time of taking this pic that there was a problem hidden in it - that Speed Triple as just been filled with diesel......

A mile down te road ...

Luckily I carry a length of hose in my rucksack so we were able to syphon the diesel out of Jimmy's tank and some petrol out of Dave's to replace it.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:31 AM   #1251
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango2 View Post
More great pics! I pick up my new bike on Thursday morning. Going to christen her with a run up to Tyndrum. I really want to get it run in ASAP so I can enjoy the last of the season. Your pics really put me in the mood. Please keep them coming!
Congrats on the new bike! ..... You are, no doubt, riding it as I type this .....what did you get? ..... Good to see the weather has held dry for you today. It took me a week to do my 600 miles of 'running in' ..sure feels good being able to fully 'open the taps' now. ...
Old 09-01-2011, 09:42 AM   #1252
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

[QUOTE=CuberBob;16748387]Helped a friend host a vintage bike ride this past weekend. Weather was gorgeous.
So, for some reason they keep putting me in front, so all those awesome pictures of people leaning into corners & such are behind me! /QUOTE]

'Hero' - Lol! ..... I'll take that as 'tongue in cheek'

Nice to see the pics ..... Why do they make you ride up front? - Are you the one who knows the roads and routes best? ...... The good thing about being up front is you don't get pelted by stonechips off the bike in front's rear tyre (I got a holed radiator on my new bike this way on Sunday) .... but you do run a higher risk of speeding tickets from hand held speed guns, - being the first bike into the 'crosshairs'.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:51 AM   #1253
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bratso View Post
Some people are meant to ride and others are meant to hold on............

plus me riding ------------->

I also am the official family photographer

Bratso

Nice pic ...looks like a 'fun road'........ Do you find it easy to 'hold on' and take pics at the same time ..... Sarah takes pics from the pillion occasionally ...but finds it gets harder as the speed increases ..... particularly in the bends.

ps. ..and I am sure you would be a better rider than you think. .....

Kamchat screwed with this post 09-01-2011 at 10:00 AM
Old 09-01-2011, 09:58 AM   #1254
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyclad View Post
Well, one of the things I was looking for in a camera was being able to do basic operation with one, gloved hand. I did get some strange looks at the store while checking that.
Lol! I had the same problem when the salesman in Jessops (camera shop) asked me what I mostly used the camera for. ........ he did end up recommending the wee sx130 when he understood. ..... He explained it would be better for 'throwing down the road' (like my last one) than some of the SLR's I had been looking at ....... not because it was more sturdy - but it was 'less costly to replace'! Lol!
Old 09-01-2011, 10:11 AM   #1255
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Our favourite local road is the Stockiemuir..... there are plenty of pics from it on this thread ......It has the biker's pub the Carbeth on it ...it is the one I smashed my bike on ...... at one point it snakes down and across a bridge over 'The Devil's Pulpit' ..... as you ride over it you can't see what's below due to the trees ... on Monday Sarah and I climbed over the stone wall and went to do some exploring ...... underneath lies a pretty amazing deep gorge ..... it's like a 'lost world' down there ..... hidden from the traffic passing just a hundred yards away ....

Old 09-01-2011, 05:40 PM   #1256
CuberBob
Starter

Oddometer: 80
[QUOTE=Kamchat;16762004]Our favourite local road is the Stockiemuir..... there are plenty of pics from it on this thread ......It has the biker's pub the Carbeth on it ...it is the one I smashed my bike on ...... at one point it snakes down and across a bridge over 'The Devil's Pulpit' ..... as you ride over it you can't see what's below due to the trees ... on Monday Sarah and I climbed over the stone wall and went to do some exploring ...... underneath lies a pretty amazing deep gorge ..... it's like a 'lost world' down there ..... hidden from the traffic passing just a hundred yards away ....
/QUOTE]
Wow..That IS amazing...

I'll tag you as the hero, as you have inspired us to take pictures that communicate the experience better than "Landcape with a bike in the corner". Don't get me wrong, thos are good..but the moving pictures capture a certain elan that the still lifes just don't have.

I seem to end up in front as I either know the route better (as was the case last weekend), or planned the route. Silly me for offering to do that! Once you lead a ride, the rest of the group seems happy to let you lead all the time...
Luckily, the state routes here in Ohio seem to have a dirth of police presence. And the local sheriffs don't seem to invest in radar guns. The are more focussed on meth labs. In any case, I saw nary a constable all day Saturday, except for the Hartville Policeman directing traffic in the parking lot upon our return. (whew!)
I worry about riding away from the group. So many of the people here own Harleys that it's a very real risk that any road requiring a 10% or more lean angle will lead me to a speed that vastly exceeds the Harley groups capabilites and desires... Attend a bike night here, and you'll see that, and I mean this in the most respectful and uplifting way, any fool can buy a Harley...

In 1 week I'll be down in WV on some amazing roads..stay tuned for the pix on that!
TTFN
Bob

2006 Concours

RIP -80 KZ750, 09 Ninja EX500
CuberBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:59 AM   #1257
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Always felt that Triumph owners were a bit 'different'

Quote:
The rideout ground to a sudden halt with clouds of smoke billowing out the back of Jimmy's Speed Triple ....at first I thought he had blown his engine.... but it turned out that in a moment of distraction he had someow filled up with diesel by mistake back in Tyndrum .....

Old 09-02-2011, 09:58 AM   #1258
Tall Mike
TAT Rookie (planning!)

Oddometer: 542
KamChat said:
Quote:
Speed Triple as just been filled with diesel......
Somebody's probably got a new nickname after that mistake.... Glad they got her back up!

Cheers tor the photos! Top shelf as usual!

stable: '05 DL1000,'06 DL650, '99 XR600R, '03 640ADV
Tall Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:29 PM   #1259
Tango2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Congrats on the new bike! ..... You are, no doubt, riding it as I type this .....what did you get? ..... Good to see the weather has held dry for you today. It took me a week to do my 600 miles of 'running in' ..sure feels good being able to fully 'open the taps' now. ...

Hi Kamchat Thanks for that. I got Ducati Multistrada 1200 sport.

After picking her I headed straight up to Tyndrum, round to Inverary down to Arrochar, down the side of Loch Long to Faslane and home. Wish I'd more time, it was great. Really delighted with the Duke although this running in malarky is frustrating. Incidentally there was another Duke at the Green Welly but this one wouldn't start, no jokes please (now that I own a fine piece of Italian engineering it's politically incorrect to mock their historic reliabillty!) Turns out he filled up with diesel. It's too easy to do. I've done the wrong fuel thing with my car and dread the day I do it with the bike. If I can just get some decent weather I should be able to clock some miles up and be able to give it a bit of welly!
Tango2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:01 PM   #1260
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

[QUOTE=CuberBob;16765221]
Quote:
Our favourite local road is the Stockiemuir..... there are plenty of pics from it on this thread ......It has the biker's pub the Carbeth on it ...it is the one I smashed my bike on ...... at one point it snakes down and across a bridge over 'The Devil's Pulpit' ..... as you ride over it you can't see what's below due to the trees ... on Monday Sarah and I climbed over the stone wall and went to do some exploring ...... underneath lies a pretty amazing deep gorge ..... it's like a 'lost world' down there ..... hidden from the traffic passing just a hundred yards away ....
/QUOTE]
Wow..That IS amazing...

I'll tag you as the hero, as you have inspired us to take pictures that communicate the experience better than "Landcape with a bike in the corner". Don't get me wrong, thos are good..but the moving pictures capture a certain elan that the still lifes just don't have.

I seem to end up in front as I either know the route better (as was the case last weekend), or planned the route. Silly me for offering to do that! Once you lead a ride, the rest of the group seems happy to let you lead all the time...
Luckily, the state routes here in Ohio seem to have a dirth of police presence. And the local sheriffs don't seem to invest in radar guns. The are more focussed on meth labs. In any case, I saw nary a constable all day Saturday, except for the Hartville Policeman directing traffic in the parking lot upon our return. (whew!)
I worry about riding away from the group. So many of the people here own Harleys that it's a very real risk that any road requiring a 10% or more lean angle will lead me to a speed that vastly exceeds the Harley groups capabilites and desires... Attend a bike night here, and you'll see that, and I mean this in the most respectful and uplifting way, any fool can buy a Harley...

In 1 week I'll be down in WV on some amazing roads..stay tuned for the pix on that!
TTFN
Bob

Hi Bob ..... Sounds like you are lucky with your police .... too many damn speed cameras here in the UK, fixed and hand held ..... however, we are lucky up here in Scotland - a lot less of the things than down in England - but still too many.

I have seen the odd Harley move at a 'brisk' pace in the right hands ...but I guess it's about a different kind of riding being on a cruiser .... the name gives it away, it's about 'cruising' taking in the ride at a less frenzied pace than on a sports bike ....the good thing is you probably get to see more of the scenery........ who knows, I may get one when I am too old for my gixxer.

Look forward to seeing the pics of the upcoming amazing roads...... take care getting those pics.