ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-29-2011, 06:20 AM   #136
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way
 
RideDualSport.com's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Texas at large.
Oddometer: 1,432
N8, I am glad you enjoyed the 900 Ninja, it has been a very rewarding project... riding it is much like an older Italian bike as far as handling.

With, I got my new 1000 Ninja on Kawasaki credit, which is with HSBC, and they do not require full comprehensive insurance even though HSBC is the lien holder. So, I only ride with minimum liability - $69 a year. Needless to say, I will be outfitting the Ninja with crash protection, to minimize any damage should I go down.
__________________
"Nobody understands what you're know what I'm sayin"
The RideDualSport Forum
Mountain State Super Tenere Adventure
Alaska Deep Adventure
RideDualSport.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:08 AM   #137
arshishb
Studly Adventurer
 
arshishb's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Edison, NJ
Oddometer: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideDualSport.com View Post
N8, I am glad you enjoyed the 900 Ninja, it has been a very rewarding project... riding it is much like an older Italian bike as far as handling.

With, I got my new 1000 Ninja on Kawasaki credit, which is with HSBC, and they do not require full comprehensive insurance even though HSBC is the lien holder. So, I only ride with minimum liability - $69 a year. Needless to say, I will be outfitting the Ninja with crash protection, to minimize any damage should I go down.
Don't you want to protect yourself against theft?

I understand to not get collision to save some bucks but I think comprehensive on a 10K bike is must.
arshishb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:54 AM   #138
Cos
Re-Greekified
 
Cos's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Home
Oddometer: 10,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by arshishb View Post
Don't you want to protect yourself against theft?

I understand to not get collision to save some bucks but I think comprehensive on a 10K bike is must.
10k? 10 freakin thou???

It's 16 thousand Euro here
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Appalachian mudsquid
Why do we always hurt the ones we hit?
Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:03 AM   #139
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way
 
RideDualSport.com's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Texas at large.
Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by arshishb View Post
Don't you want to protect yourself against theft?
I understand to not get collision to save some bucks but I think comprehensive on a 10K bike is must.
Wow, good reminder about theft. A bike like the Ninja 1000 is a prime target. I will travel with a good lock.
Plus all my bikes are stored in a locked man-cave behind a fence.
Cheers!
__________________
"Nobody understands what you're know what I'm sayin"
The RideDualSport Forum
Mountain State Super Tenere Adventure
Alaska Deep Adventure
RideDualSport.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:18 PM   #140
SyRexx
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoilsport View Post
I like the bags, the ergos and the power. MCN loves it, too. How come EU gets ABS, and USA not. Probably because kawasquids don't need no stinking abs (but I do).
there was something i read that EU government was going to push through compulsary ABS on all euro spec bikes
SyRexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:07 PM   #141
arshishb
Studly Adventurer
 
arshishb's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Edison, NJ
Oddometer: 854
I pulled the trigger today on an all black one. I am picking it up tomorrow.

Currently drowning myself in beer because of buyers remorse

Can't wait for Thursday to pass.
arshishb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:35 PM   #142
CrashDummy
Beastly Adventurer
 
CrashDummy's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Madison, MS
Oddometer: 1,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by arshishb View Post
I pulled the trigger today on an all black one. I am picking it up tomorrow.

Currently drowning myself in beer because of buyers remorse

Can't wait for Thursday to pass.
Yeah, I'm regretting my purchase too, I can hardly force myself to ride the damn thing more than 5-6 days a week.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman
If you posted a thread on Face Plant that you crashed because an eagle attacked your helmet, you'd get five people saying how you should know better than to paint your helmet _________ and another five who will suggest you should have taken the MSF Eagle Avoidance course. Then another five will say the Eagle Avoidance Course sucks....
CrashDummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:41 PM   #143
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way
 
RideDualSport.com's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Texas at large.
Oddometer: 1,432
I did the first oil change on the Ninja 1000.
At 246 miles I put Motul 10-40 non-synthetic with a K&N oil filter.
The original oil filter was a bear to remove, due to not having a small enough oil filter wrench. The K&N filter has a handy hex-head on it and I torqued it to 15 ft lbs and the oil drain plug to 25 ft lbs.

Also, even though I filled the oil filter with some oil before installing it, my oil warning light would not go off. So, I loosened the oil filter till a little oil dribbled out, and tightened it. The oil warning light turned off. Good thing I read about the air lock at the oil filter on the web, or I would have been very perplexed about the oil light staying on!
Cheers!
__________________
"Nobody understands what you're know what I'm sayin"
The RideDualSport Forum
Mountain State Super Tenere Adventure
Alaska Deep Adventure
RideDualSport.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:58 PM   #144
TomZachary
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Oddometer: 29
I am up over 1300 miles now and still couldn't be happier, well except for maybe a different seat. I'm not sure if it's the seat or if I'm just a wuss. I rode 180 miles straight last Friday, roughly 60 miles Saturday, and another 150 on Sunday. The last 30-50 miles on Sunday were pretty uncomfortable for me. My ass was just really sore and my legs were starting to get cramped up. It was definitely light years ahead of the DR that I did the same thing on last year, but I'd really like to be able to do ~500 miles in a weekend and not be all that sore. It probably doesn't help that I really only ride that much once a year currently so I don't exactly have a "tolerance" built up.

I did achieve a 39mpg/tank and a 41mpg/tank on the trip. The others were the normal 36-38mpg/tank. I also installed a Powerlet socket this week and am a huge fan. Now I'm just looking for a RAM mount that will fit. Oh, I also completed my first camping trip with the bike and even without any luggage I was really pleasantly surprised at how much I could strap on to the back seat. I had a bag with clothes and gear, a tent, sleeping bag, and sleeping pad and it was all safe, secure, and an overall success. I can't wait to do more!
TomZachary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:33 AM   #145
JSharp
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: East Central IL
Oddometer: 259
It's not just you. The seat is bad. It's the most complained about item on the bike.

RideDualsport: Try refilling the engine with oil before you pull the filter and replace it. I've done 2 changes on my bike and did it that way both times. I've never had the airlock problem.
__________________
2011 Ninja 1000
JSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:08 AM   #146
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way
 
RideDualSport.com's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Texas at large.
Oddometer: 1,432
JSharp, thanks for the oil changing tip, will do!

TomZ congratulations on your first long road ride! I am itching to do the same with mine. Nice to hear you could carry all you needed on the seat. I am debating various luggage options for the Ninja 1000, I may get the Ventura rack system, because I use Ventura on my Buell and can share the tail packs I already own. Or, I may get a Wolfman Beta Bag, because I could also use it on my KLR too. I am trying to avoid having buying luggage that I can only use on one bike.
And yes, I am fairly certain the stock Ninja seat will only be good for about 150 miles before butt-burn sets in.
My first upgrade will be a Sargent Seat, oh and new grips. The stock grips are fairly hard.
Plus I will be getting engine guards and axle sliders too.
Cheers!
__________________
"Nobody understands what you're know what I'm sayin"
The RideDualSport Forum
Mountain State Super Tenere Adventure
Alaska Deep Adventure
RideDualSport.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:44 AM   #147
arshishb
Studly Adventurer
 
arshishb's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Edison, NJ
Oddometer: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideDualSport.com View Post
JSharp, thanks for the oil changing tip, will do!

TomZ congratulations on your first long road ride! I am itching to do the same with mine. Nice to hear you could carry all you needed on the seat. I am debating various luggage options for the Ninja 1000, I may get the Ventura rack system, because I use Ventura on my Buell and can share the tail packs I already own. Or, I may get a Wolfman Beta Bag, because I could also use it on my KLR too. I am trying to avoid having buying luggage that I can only use on one bike.
And yes, I am fairly certain the stock Ninja seat will only be good for about 150 miles before butt-burn sets in.
My first upgrade will be a Sargent Seat, oh and new grips. The stock grips are fairly hard.
Plus I will be getting engine guards and axle sliders too.
Cheers!
More than butt burn, I am getting thigh burn. The sharp angle cuts at the sides of the seat really don't help.

And wtf is up with the butt tingle at highway speeds?? Hope it might smooth out after my first oil change.
arshishb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:48 AM   #148
rhinoWERX OP
Crikey mate!
 
rhinoWERX's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: LB, CA
Oddometer: 844
Just a thought regarding the seat; has anyone considered using the seat off the Z1000? I know the Z1000 has a little less padding, but the shape is also slightly different - sometimes it's more about the position rather than the amount of padding. The Z1000 seat seems to be flatter toward the rear and therefor could prove to be more comfortable.

I suspect the seats are interchangeable.

Just a thought.

PS - this thread needs more pictures
__________________
rhinoWErX
"Do you see what I see..."
IBA #30079
rhinoWERX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:14 AM   #149
RobbieAG
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Greensboro NC
Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Oh, I also completed my first camping trip with the bike and even without any luggage I was really pleasantly surprised at how much I could strap on to the back seat. I had a bag with clothes and gear, a tent, sleeping bag, and sleeping pad and it was all safe, secure, and an overall success. I can't wait to do more!
Any pictures of the bike loaded down? I'd love to see it.

I demo rode this bike at the AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days at mid Ohio. Fantastic bike! I'd love to get one.
__________________
2001 Honda ST1100
2002 Honda Nighthawk 750
1973 Harley 350 (long gone)
RobbieAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 01:50 PM   #150
JSharp
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: East Central IL
Oddometer: 259
I thought the grips were not just too hard but too small in diameter. A set of Grip Puppies fixed that.

I'm sure a late model Z1000 seat will fit but I can't imagine it being better. It has even less padding and I don't think the slightly different shape will make up for it.
__________________
2011 Ninja 1000
JSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014