Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2011, 07:32 AM   #841
plumber mike
Soaking up Son shine

Oddometer: 2,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by skorpioskorpio View Post
Looked at the parts fiche and yep you're right it is a cush, but not the same as an XL hub. Plummer Mikes hub is an MT hub and not an XL hub, cush for cush or not. The XL hub has a stamped steel cover over the sprocket which the left hand spacer fits into, under that cover is a spanner nut that holds the left hand bearing. Like I said I have an MT hub that was on one of my XLs when I got it, chrome steel wheel still laced to it.
It's now sporting an 81 XR200 front end.

My bikes engine number starts with SL too. I wonder what kind of frankenhonda I have?
Old 08-01-2011, 05:07 PM   #842
loggers-road
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Im going to look at a 1985 xl250r this week, from the pictures it is in really nice shape. I was wondering if there was anything model specific that I should be looking for on these bikes. Im a fairly tall guy ( 6'3 240lbs ) is the 250 going to be on the small side for me? I will be riding it 80% off road on some really tight logging roads and paths, any input would be great!
loggers-road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:01 PM   #843
skorpioskorpio
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber mike View Post
It's now sporting an 81 XR200 front end.

My bikes engine number starts with SL too. I wonder what kind of frankenhonda I have?
If the engine number starts with "SL" then it is a 1972-73 K0 engine, it'll have no fins on the timing chain side of the cylinder head. 1975s on have small cooling fins there. Top end gaskets (and bolt pattern) are unique to the 72-73 engines, so good bit to know if you ever plan on tearing down the top end, especially if the "bike" is a "75" ...ish.
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:55 AM   #844
apex
/////

Oddometer: 323
Ive been meaning to post up some photos here.. better late than never so here are some of the XLs Ive owned and still own. I dont have a photos of most of the XLs Ive had or my first one, a '74 XL175 my Dad got new then handed it down to me.

83 & 85 100s I used to have, I rode the red one from key largo to key west and back one time.

'85 80S that restarted the pitbike craze for me

82 125S Ive owned the longest of them all.

87 600R

85 250R durring resto mod phase

the carb set on the 250R now which consist of an XL350R primary, XR350R secondary,
w/XR500R float bowls.

85 250R

87 XLR80R rare, grey market (Japan Only edition) 4sale BTW

Custom XRL80SR mini adv I built from an 80S and 80R
since the XLR80R is so rare I didnt want to mod it out so I made this one.

now If I can find a nice 85 350R I'll be all set..
apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:47 AM   #845
dorkpunch OP
Oops...

Oddometer: 5,115
Find and dandy, but we're missing some pics of that 250 in action!!!

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:48 AM   #846
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by jehu View Post
Have you tried bearing houses or hydralic repair shops? What size do you need? I've got a couple hundred different sizes in my garage. If we can figure out what you need, you can have a set for the freight charge.
Thanks for the offer - I think I have a solution now... and for the record, my '76 XL with the Progressives needs 10mm x 16mm x 19mm sleeves.
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:33 PM   #847
wallster
n00b

Oddometer: 8
My '78 XL250

I love these old XL's. This is my second one, I had a 1980 a few years ago but ended up selling it. I picked this bike up this past Spring and have been riding it all summer. It needed a cam chain plus a whole bunch of other misc. parts. Here's a pic of the finished bike. Runs great and is a blast to ride. No title so I'm using it as an off-road rider. I would have loved to have this bike when I was a teenager but then again it would have been new.

Wally

wallster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:05 PM   #848
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,906
I am soon to be the proud fixer-uper of a 79 XL100S. It's been well used over the years, has dings in the gas tank/damage to right side cover.

My question to you all is: will the tank and side panels for 79 100 fit anything else? Or rather, what is the range of years/models I could take parts from to fix what I've got.

More specifically, I'd love to put a larger capacity plastic tank on in place of the dented steel. I see Clarke makes tanks for XL/XR's in that year range, but not XL100's

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:30 PM   #849
pommie john
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,410
Wicked

Ok knowledgeable people.. I just bought a real ratty xl250, the older 72-74 version with the side inlet port. I'm going to to a big resto job on it and turn it into a road racing vintage motard ( if that makes sense).

There's plenty to do, but the first major thing I've found is some play in the crank. There's a few thou of end float but the worry is there is a bit of radial play too. just enough so you can feel it.

I had an XL many years ago and my vague memory is telling me that I did this before, (changed the bearings) and it made no difference and I think it turned out to be the bearing moving in the crankcase ( they are pegged in place, not an interference fit). I think it would have been better to locktite them in place.

So what's the consensus, is it normal for the crank to move a little when you grab the flywheel?

This is the first of many questions
Old 08-27-2011, 09:24 AM   #850
Snr Moment
Unafarkler

Oddometer: 2,202
XL250 Up For Sale

Unfortunately, I'm putting my 1976 XL250 up for sale. Recent accident has taken me off the bikes for a long time.

Ad is in the classifieds: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...4#post16724554

YAAK
Snr Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:38 PM   #851
pckopp
Aged Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,207
74 XL250 Forks

I serviced my forks a couple of years ago and between then and now moved to South Carolina and back. Somewhere in the boxes is my XL250 manual, but I have not discovered it yet.

So a couple of questions: What is the recommended amount of fork oil, and what weight?

I am sure I followed the book correctly, but the forks are really stiff. They almost feel rigid, but they dive under braking and are not bound up in any way. I suspect I used ATF for fluid as what I poured out looks exactly like a partial jug of ATF on my shelf. The seals are good and the insides are clean.

Are there some common mods for making them better?

It is this bike, btw. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=398283

Thanks!
Old 08-31-2011, 11:33 PM   #852
jitterymonkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by pckopp View Post
I serviced my forks a couple of years ago and between then and now moved to South Carolina and back. Somewhere in the boxes is my XL250 manual, but I have not discovered it yet.
So a couple of questions: What is the recommended amount of fork oil, and what weight?
I am sure I followed the book correctly, but the forks are really stiff. They almost feel rigid, but they dive under braking and are not bound up in any way. I suspect I used ATF for fluid as what I poured out looks exactly like a partial jug of ATF on my shelf. The seals are good and the insides are clean.
Are there some common mods for making them better?
It is this bike, btw. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=398283
Thanks!
Got stock springs?
My '72 manual says 165cc if it's dry & 145cc since 20cc will still be inside.
I was told to try 10wt in mine, 20 if I liked a stiffer ride.

[joefast14] Never modify a Yamaha SRX-6, they turn into a money hole that you can never get out of.
jitterymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:08 PM   #853
pckopp
Aged Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitterymonkey View Post
Got stock springs?
My '72 manual says 165cc if it's dry & 145cc since 20cc will still be inside.
I was told to try 10wt in mine, 20 if I liked a stiffer ride.
Stock springs. I pulled mine completely apart yesterday and cleaned them thoroughly. You definitely need some "special tools" to get all the grunge out. I reassembled them this afternoon and will install them on the bike in the morning. My front end was really stiff, so I am trying some 5wt oil to see what I get.

Thanks for the help! I'll report back.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:53 PM   #854
pckopp
Aged Adventurer

Quote:
Stock springs. I pulled mine completely apart yesterday and cleaned them thoroughly. You definitely need some "special tools" to get all the grunge out. I reassembled them this afternoon and will install them on the bike in the morning. My front end was really stiff, so I am trying some 5wt oil to see what I get.
Well, I finally found my manual and realized the forks I have been working on may not be the correct ones. First, there is no damper rod spring. and the holes in the damper rod do not match either parts layout I have. Was there ever a set of forks lile this that didn't have damper springs? Very odd.

So I pulled the spare set apart this morning. They look correct and have all the parts. They also have lots of grunge, but I can deal with that. The spare set of forks is now clean with fresh oil ready to be installed.

The saga continues.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:54 PM   #855
pckopp
Aged Adventurer

Quote:
The saga continues.
The saga is over. Spare forks are rebuilt and installed and they were never better. Not bad for nearly 40 years old.

Now on to other things.