ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2011, 01:22 PM   #39421
ohiofathead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
Thing is it's a 1977 with 80,000mi, possible carb issues, and rear suspension needing replaced....What say you?
I'd say it's worth $500 - $600 and then it will cost $2000 - $2500 before it's a reliable ride.
ohiofathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:02 PM   #39422
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 13,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiofathead View Post
I'd say it's worth $500 - $600 and then it will cost $2000 - $2500 before it's a reliable ride.
That is what I'm scared of. Here's my bike, just needs a stator for your bike that need three years hard labor.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:04 PM   #39423
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by z@ch View Post
What the hell does Steingar want a 426 for?

Damn, you beat me to the post.

Luke, why would you even consider that? You have three other bikes; one of which fills the role of touring quite nicely. I mean, are you looking for more adventure in the form of breaking down in desolate areas and then spending days waiting on parts to arrive at Hilligan McGilligan's Outboard Motor Repair Shanty?

You consider wierd shit sometimes.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 03:13 PM   #39424
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,235
I think Steingar's was an early '80s, but I wouldn't trade for either one at that price. For the way it sounds, if you really wanted the wing project, I might offer him $1600 + his bike for yours. Looking at the following listing, I might not even take that deal.
http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/2566242673.html

Since the 426 is converted for dual sport and has a motorcycle title, I'm sure you won't have a hard time selling it. A guy I work with just turned a profit after he rode a WR250 for the season because the buyer came from out of state to get a bike already titled as a motorcycle and payed the asking price. the only thing I see that is a turn off is the stator issue. I'd be holding out for a better offer.

And why didn't you post it in the general flea market, as well as in central. I heard there is a guy with a civic and a trailer that makes out of state deliveries so it could be really convenient for you.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:54 PM   #39425
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

I don't know, the 426 has been a thorn in my side since the electrosport stator issues of 09'. But your right, so I just contacted electrosport to reignite the issue and they seem to feel they will send me a new one and it just got lost in the paperwork.
If so I'll get the new stator installed and then there won't be any, "good bike but" in the sale. Cross your fingers for me that electrosport finally comes thru.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:00 PM   #39426
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxcrider View Post

And why didn't you post it in the general flea market, as well as in central. I heard there is a guy with a civic and a trailer that makes out of state deliveries so it could be really convenient for you.
I almost missed your joke, buried in the post like that.

By the time he sells it, funny guy, I won't be able to do that. The timing just worked out being off / bored this week.

Quote:
I don't know, the 426 has been a thorn in my side since the electrosport stator issues of 09'. But your right, so I just contacted electrosport to reignite the issue and they seem to feel they will send me a new one and it just got lost in the paperwork.
If so I'll get the new stator installed and then there won't be any, "good bike but" in the sale. Cross your fingers for me that electrosport finally comes thru.

Why don't you just return it to stock; and include the accessories with it when it is bought. The big thing guys want is the street title and it has that already, regardless of equipment on it / not on it. A YZ is kind of a weird choice to dual sport anyway.

My Smugmug Galleries
Old 09-02-2011, 04:08 PM   #39427
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Why don't you just return it to stock; and include the accessories with it when it is bought. The big thing guys want is the street title and it has that already, regardless of equipment on it / not on it. A YZ is kind of a weird choice to dual sport anyway.
Because the lighting system is over 1/4 the value of the bike. If I could sell the lighting system for $500 then sure I'll sell the bike for $1500 as a stock bike.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:13 PM   #39428
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Quote:
Because the lighting system is over 1/4 the value of the bike. If I could sell the lighting system for $500 then sure I'll sell the bike for $1500 as a stock bike.
But if you return it to stock, you would not have the stator issue, no?

My Smugmug Galleries
Old 09-02-2011, 04:37 PM   #39429
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
But if you return it to stock, you would not have the stator issue, no?
The stock stator is in it now. That's why it runs but won't power the electrical for the lights. If electrosport actually honors the warranty on the stator I sent back I can have everything working again. It would be a big pain in the ass to remove the lighting system and then try to sell it just to return the bike to stock.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:16 PM   #39430
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 9,956
Quote:
The stock stator is in it now. That's why it runs but won't power the electrical for the lights. If electrosport actually honors the warranty on the stator I sent back I can have everything working again. It would be a big pain in the ass to remove the lighting system and then try to sell it just to return the bike to stock.
So it runs fine now?

Just sell it and tell the buyer the problems it has and to use hand signals.

Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:58 PM   #39431
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey1 View Post
So it runs fine now?

Just sell it and tell the buyer the problems it has and to use hand signals.

I did, but apparently they're nervous about having their hand that far away from the clutch. No matter if all else fails I'll part the dam thing out and put the forks on the KLR. I still have a spare triple from the other KLR I parted out which I could bore out to fit.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:39 PM   #39432
ohiofathead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
Quote:
I did, but apparently they're nervous about having their hand that far away from the clutch. No matter if all else fails I'll part the dam thing out and put the forks on the KLR. I still have a spare triple from the other KLR I parted out which I could bore out to fit.
Those forks would be awesome on your KLR. The ones I put on my old KLR were from a '97 YZ250. However, you'll have to use the YZ triples you have now because there is no way you could bore out the KLR triples big enough to fit the YZ forks.

If you do decide to part it out, and you don't want to put the forks on your KLR, let me know because I'm going to upgrade the forks on my DR.
ohiofathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:42 PM   #39433
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiofathead View Post
Those forks would be awesome on your KLR. The ones I put on my old KLR were from a '97 YZ250. However, you'll have to use the YZ triples you have now because there is no way you could bore out the KLR triples big enough to fit the YZ forks.

If you do decide to part it out, and you don't want to put the forks on your KLR, let me know because I'm going to upgrade the forks on my DR.
Parting it out would be worst case. I'm still hoping for a new stator and then sell the bike.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:31 PM   #39434
flashover604
tailgunner

Oddometer: 533
I know I could just read through all 2635 pages, but then you folks would have no chance to offer answers and/or opinions. Where's the fun in that?

I'm looking at replacing the tires on the 640 I picked up. It currently has an MT44 front and a Kenda K270 rear. I like the look of the Mefo Super Explorer and Dunlop 908. What experience do you folks have with these? I have no idea what to put up front.

What say you? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:41 PM   #39435
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashover604 View Post
I'm looking at replacing the tires on the 640 I picked up. It currently has an MT44 front and a Kenda K270 rear. I like the look of the Mefo Super Explorer and Dunlop 908. What experience do you folks have with these? I have no idea what to put up front.

For some reason I think you already asked that? I thought I remember the Terror FLex and some others being mentioned but that could have been from some place else.

I've only had MT21's on mine and 908's on the rear of the 950. Have a half worn 908 I plan to finish off on the 640 as a street tire. 908 worked well on the 950

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote