Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2011, 06:56 PM   #13741
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
Scrambled Bonnie

Thanks Gents...

Appreciate your input hopefully I can have it up for the Color of the Catskills in hunter mountain.

Alex
alskee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:13 PM   #13742
dirtyrod
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Thanks

Thinking of picking up one of these fine looking machines and now after reading your posts i think I need to contact the seller again for a test ride. thanks for the interesting read here.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:01 PM   #13743
ajsimmo
Crinkley Codger

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by becsta View Post
No I never got around to finding out anymore info about it. My Scram is booked in for its first service today if I remember I will ask the dealer about fitting cast wheels.
Cheers Becsta,
I'll definately be interested in the outcome. With winter approaching, it seems a good mod to do when there is snow on the ground.
ajsimmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:27 PM   #13744
becsta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
I forgot to ask the dealer about the cast wheels. I am sure I will remember at some stage and will post up when I do.

I received my panniers this morning, they look great. I am going riding tomorrow so will be doing the install on Sunday.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:22 AM   #13745
ChrisLX200
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
A few photos I took today....

At the top of Pym's Chair (a notably steep hill)...so I said "Did you chaps get these towed up here or what?" ...and then the fight started. No, they just laughed and told me these 3 Model T's had toured up the French Alps last year.

ChrisLX200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 01:21 PM   #13746
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone650rider View Post
Id like to have a scrambler to replace my dr650 someday, but i need to know if they will WHEELIE?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CordR View Post
The right rider with the right skill set can do just about anything.

You can either watch the whole thing to see how to really handle it or just go to the last 20 seconds to answer your question.

http://vimeo.com/3787486

And I like the summation for that video...

"During the five days we shot stills & video serious damage was sustained: the rear axle was bent, front disc warped, steels clutch plates fried, rear brake pads gone, electrics gone haywire and it has been suggested that the frame has been bent!
Apart from that it is still running well abeit right handers tend to be a little dicey.
Remarkably the shocks are still going strong
. "

Personally, having owned both, I'd keep the DR. It's more fun in the dirt and that's where I'm riding more lately. Scrambler was a fun bike to own but it ain't no DR.

bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 03:09 PM   #13747
scramblase
ATGATT -> Met/Isoleucine

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
. Scrambler was a fun bike to own but it ain't no DR.
Agreed, having been on a fun little excursion along w/ a DR & a KLR. The Scrambler can hold its own, but the gouges out of my rear brake caliper and piston sort of speak for themselves about the limits of this motorcycle.

scramblase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 03:24 PM   #13748
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by scramblase View Post
Agreed, having been on a fun little excursion along w/ a DR & a KLR. The Scrambler can hold its own, but the gouges out of my rear brake caliper and piston sort of speak for themselves about the limits of this motorcycle.
And as long as you keep those in mind it'll work. Many on here have tried to make the Scrambler into a true dual sport, but in reality it's a styling exercise. Doesn't take away from the Scrambler, but in my mind it's a road bike.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 03:48 PM   #13749
TerryK
Ulysses

Oddometer: 1,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
And as long as you keep those in mind it'll work. Many on here have tried to make the Scrambler into a true dual sport, but in reality it's a styling exercise. Doesn't take away from the Scrambler, but in my mind it's a road bike.
Agreed Bross, I just use mine as a road bike as I have the XR for the dirt & even on the road the XR has better suspenion.

Check out my Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/KaneTerry?feature=mhee
TerryK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:01 PM   #13750
amanlikemike
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 895
Kriega US-10 tank bag set-up

Only posted to show Inmate gallowaystx can see how this set-up works, so I'm definitely not spamming .

I will post a few more pics of the full set-up (which won't be spamming either ). It's not a sales pitch and I'd have wanted to share some photos anyway, cos I just love the way these bags work on my Scram'. In fact, I did way before I got the gig as the US distributor.

That said, if anyone does have any questions about Kriega kit, I am of course more than happy to help wherever I can.

Oh, and it looks like I may have found a way to import the bike to the US - turns out my contact at Triumph can arrange for me to get a certificate showing that the bike is the same spec as the ones sold in the US, just as soon as I get a Triumph dealer to fit a DOT headlamp lens and reflectors. Result!

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:46 PM   #13751
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
Bluhduh Couldn't be worse

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanlikemike View Post
Only posted to show Inmate gallowaystx can see how this set-up works, so I'm definitely not spamming .

Oh, and it looks like I may have found a way to import the bike to the US - turns out my contact at Triumph can arrange for me to get a certificate showing that the bike is the same spec as the ones sold in the US, just as soon as I get a Triumph dealer to fit a DOT headlamp lens and reflectors. Result!

Keep the original lens and reflector to change back after you get it all approved. It HAS to be better that the POS assembly that is DOT approved here! I knew that it was bad but was surprised one night to realize that I could see more by the light of the bike behind me (stock Yamaha sportbike) than I could with my own light. My Scrambler is currently on loan to friend while he searches for one of his own, there was only one rule - DON"T EVEN THINK OF RIDING IT AT NIGHT!

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:26 PM   #13752
flick
Man on a mission.

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Escape View Post
Keep the original lens and reflector to change back after you get it all approved. It HAS to be better that the POS assembly that is DOT approved here! I knew that it was bad but was surprised one night to realize that I could see more by the light of the bike behind me (stock Yamaha sportbike) than I could with my own light. My Scrambler is currently on loan to friend while he searches for one of his own, there was only one rule - DON"T EVEN THINK OF RIDING IT AT NIGHT!
One of the best mods I ever did to my bike was putting on a Bonneville headlight bucket and Cibie lens. It was a night and day difference. I got my lens from Daniel Stern http://www.danielsternlighting.com/p.../products.html. He is a really nice guy and talks to each customer personally.

Naturally, I couldn't stop tinkering with the headlight so I installed a relay kit from Eastern Beaver. http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Produc...s/h4_kits.html Now I had full battery voltage at the headlight instead of the stock one volt lower, and more voltage means more light and as an added bonus you can run a bigger bulb.

The low beam was now bright enough to see my way home but not so bright it blinded other drivers. But I wanted a high beam that could set a squirrel on fire at 100 paces. So I replaced the stock 55/60 watt bulb with a 55/100 watt bulb. http://www.amazon.com/HELLA-HLA-H831.../dp/B000COBLJI Now then it was like I could turn the sun back on with a flick of the switch.

If you want even more light you can get a higher wattage bulb or when you get the relay kit you can have him put a jumper in that will keep the low when you turn the high on (stock switches one off and turns the other on). The latter will mean the stock bulb will act like a 115 watt high beam and the bulb I ran will be about 155 watts

"We train young men to drop fire on people. But their commanders won't allow them to write "fuck" on their airplanes because it's obscene!" Apocalypse Now
flick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:48 AM   #13753
Bambi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
Hello Scramblase,
concerning your rear brake: if that is the only or biggest limiting-factor on your Scrambler, you could try to mount the caliper on top of the swinging arm. It would me further away from the dirt ... Some guys here did converversions like that, you could even buy one of them. I don't know, if it's still on offer.
Maybe, you could change the caliper for one from a real off-road-bike, that's more designed to face stones, mud, sand and so on ... I'd prefer to mount it on something like a triangled plate that ist secured on the axle and ankered with a long rod near to the swinging arm cross bracket.
I still believe, that there's a (alright, a small) market for a Scrambler with better off-road abilities. Frame and suspension something like a slightly up-dated XT 500, brakes in actual state-of-the-art for mid-sized bikes, loss of some 50 kgs, fuel-range for 300 kms and the possibility to ride the whole day long at 130 km/h if necessary. The goal shouldn't be to give modern enduros a run for their money but to ride a bike with classic looks that could do nearly everything for you. Except Trials and high-speed ...
Kind regards, Bambi
Old 09-03-2011, 03:51 AM   #13754
TerryK
Ulysses

Oddometer: 1,545
A pair of Scramblers

My mate got his new Scrambler today, 2011 in Jet black with the Arrow 2 into 1 exhaust.
I drove him in to pick it up, had a look & said to the salesman the pipes were wrong on the Arrow, he didn't believe me so he looks for a photo & guess what it was wrong..anyhow they had a guy working overtime swapping the pipes.
Went for a ride up through the Adelaide hills this afternoon & he loves it.

Check out my Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/KaneTerry?feature=mhee

TerryK screwed with this post 09-03-2011 at 04:06 AM
TerryK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:04 AM   #13755
patiodadio
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanlikemike View Post

I will post a few more pics of the full set-up (which won't be spamming either ). It's not a sales pitch and I'd have wanted to share some photos anyway, cos I just love the way these bags work on my Scram'. In fact, I did way before I got the gig as the US distributor.

That said, if anyone does have any questions about Kriega kit, I am of course more than happy to help wherever I can.

Great looking set up !