Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2011, 11:41 AM   #13756
amanlikemike
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Escape View Post
Keep the original lens and reflector to change back after you get it all approved. It HAS to be better that the POS assembly that is DOT approved here! I knew that it was bad but was surprised one night to realize that I could see more by the light of the bike behind me (stock Yamaha sportbike) than I could with my own light. My Scrambler is currently on loan to friend while he searches for one of his own, there was only one rule - DON"T EVEN THINK OF RIDING IT AT NIGHT!

Bruce
Thanks for the advice, Bruce. I don't really have any issues with the UK lens, but I did fit a Phillips MotoVision HID bulb, which made a world of difference. I would guess that the only difference between the UK and US lenses is that one directs the beam slightly to the left and the other to the right. But either way, I have seen some very nice after-market bucket jobs, which I may try myself after importation.

Flick's solution sounds pretty sweet too.

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:54 AM   #13757
amanlikemike
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by patiodadio View Post
Great looking set up !
Thanks, man. I used these bags on the last three bikes I owned, but they look best on the Scrambler. On weekend or longer trips, I tend to use them in a 40L tail pack configuration, with either another 30-40L and/or a rollbag on the rack for the tent, sleeping bags etc, and one US-10 on the tank for when I plan to ride longer, along with a waistpack for important documents / cash / cards etc. The backpack is generally used for short runs and commuting etc. Never needed any more than that and only would for the most epic rides, at which point I could comfortably go up another 30L on the tail packs and 10 on the tank.

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread

amanlikemike screwed with this post 09-03-2011 at 11:57 AM Reason: Doh! Forgot one of the photos.
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:09 PM   #13758
flick
Man on a mission.

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanlikemike View Post
That is alot of weights on your front wheel. You shouldn't normally need more than 3/4oz (21g) on the front and double that for the rear. When I balanced my last set of tires I was upset that I had to use weights at all on the front and 1/2oz (14g) on the rear. It takes a bit more time to static balance wheels and use very little weight but the ride is better.

"We train young men to drop fire on people. But their commanders won't allow them to write "fuck" on their airplanes because it's obscene!" Apocalypse Now
flick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:57 PM   #13759
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,324
Thumb Good Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by flick View Post
One of the best mods I ever did to my bike was putting on a Bonneville headlight bucket and Cibie lens. It was a night and day difference. I got my lens from Daniel Stern http://www.danielsternlighting.com/p.../products.html. He is a really nice guy and talks to each customer personally.

Naturally, I couldn't stop tinkering with the headlight so I installed a relay kit from Eastern Beaver. http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Produc...s/h4_kits.html Now I had full battery voltage at the headlight instead of the stock one volt lower, and more voltage means more light and as an added bonus you can run a bigger bulb.

The low beam was now bright enough to see my way home but not so bright it blinded other drivers. But I wanted a high beam that could set a squirrel on fire at 100 paces. So I replaced the stock 55/60 watt bulb with a 55/100 watt bulb. http://www.amazon.com/HELLA-HLA-H831.../dp/B000COBLJI Now then it was like I could turn the sun back on with a flick of the switch.

If you want even more light you can get a higher wattage bulb or when you get the relay kit you can have him put a jumper in that will keep the low when you turn the high on (stock switches one off and turns the other on). The latter will mean the stock bulb will act like a 115 watt high beam and the bulb I ran will be about 155 watts

Thank You, I had seen your advice about changing headlight buckets to get a decent lens some time back but MBS prevented me getting around to doing it. I don't find myself doing much night riding anymore so it wasn't until I loaned out the bike that I remembered just how much the OEM Scrambler light sucked (don't need to lose anymore friends, buried 5 since April) and that I had not improved it. I don't know what they actually test for to get DOT approval, certainly there is no minimum level of performance! I used to run the 55/100 bulbs on my Hurricane, High beam during the day and I rarely got cut-off, when I did I invariably found that the light was still on Low from riding at night previously. Something about that Scram lens keeps most anything used for a bulb from being much use. While I am big on nostalgia and keeping "old looks" I am not pleased with Hinckley's choice to bring back the old Lucas choices in lighting ..... OFF-DIM-FLICKER (No offence intended when writing that, didn't notice the "similarity until I typed it). One of these days I will get a decent bucket and lens swapped onto my Scram. Thanks again.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 04:38 PM   #13760
becsta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Panniers are installed.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:47 PM   #13761
FoothillRyder
Tiger Cub

Oddometer: 406
Those do look good becsta. Really good. So what did that setup run you (panniers and mounting hardware)?
- FoothillRyder AMA# 289558, BIR #47, COP #001
'97 Trophy 900, '98 Tiger, '03 Speed Triple 955i

My Blog: http://foothillryder.com/
FoothillRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:53 PM   #13762
Moto13
Riding to Relax

Oddometer: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLX200 View Post

I love this pic. One question: are you allowed to paint that gas can to match the rest of the bike? or do gas cans have to be red/orange for legal reasons?
Moto13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:40 PM   #13763
TerryK
Ulysses

Oddometer: 1,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto13 View Post
I love this pic. One question: are you allowed to paint that gas can to match the rest of the bike? or do gas cans have to be red/orange for legal reasons?
Here in Australia they have to be red for petrol, not sure about anywhere else

Check out my Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/KaneTerry?feature=mhee
TerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:32 AM   #13764
ChrisLX200
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto13 View Post
I don't think there's any legal requirement here (UK) for it be red, I have a couple of Jerry Cans which are green and as far as I know quite legal to carry gas.
ChrisLX200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:51 PM   #13765
Redbull Addict
I need another one...

Oddometer: 1,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
I still believe, that there's a (alright, a small) market for a Scrambler with better off-road abilities. Frame and suspension something like a slightly up-dated XT 500, brakes in actual state-of-the-art for mid-sized bikes, loss of some 50 kgs, fuel-range for 300 kms and the possibility to ride the whole day long at 130 km/h if necessary. The goal shouldn't be to give modern enduros a run for their money but to ride a bike with classic looks that could do nearly everything for you. Except Trials and high-speed ...
Kind regards, Bambi
One potential customer right here!
Redbull Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:09 PM   #13766
ScramblerWarsaw
n00b

Oddometer: 5
From Poland to Tuscany

Poland/Czech Republic/Austria/Italy
solo on my Scrambler:)
ScramblerWarsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:08 PM   #13767
becsta
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoothillRyder View Post
Those do look good becsta. Really good. So what did that setup run you (panniers and mounting hardware)?
Total cost including shipping and the 3 litre fuel canister and bracket that is on the back of the left hand one was just over $1400au.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:16 PM   #13768
becsta
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryK View Post
Here in Australia they have to be red for petrol, not sure about anywhere else
I bought a 3 litre canister and bracket that is fitted on the back of the left hand pannier and the canister is black.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:59 PM   #13769
FoothillRyder
Tiger Cub

Oddometer: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by becsta View Post
Total cost including shipping and the 3 litre fuel canister and bracket that is on the back of the left hand one was just over $1400au.
Thanks. That's actually a bargain for an industrial-strength setup like that.
- FoothillRyder AMA# 289558, BIR #47, COP #001
'97 Trophy 900, '98 Tiger, '03 Speed Triple 955i

My Blog: http://foothillryder.com/
FoothillRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:57 PM   #13770
trustme
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScramblerWarsaw View Post
Poland/Czech Republic/Austria/Italy
solo on my Scrambler:)
Sorry can't access any of your pictures which is a pity as I would really like to see them.

Is it my end or yours ??
trustme is offline   Reply With Quote