User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2011, 04:57 AM   #196
dogdoc1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
skid plate

I just put a skid plate on my 2009 xt250 from Ricochet and it fits well. However, I notice a large increase in engine noise as I ride. It is almost as if I am hearing the gears "whining". It could be air flow? has anybody tried anything to reduce the noise? Maybe painting the top of the plate with some sort of car undercoat?

thanks dogdoc
dogdoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:11 AM   #197
SprocketTX
Bull in China Shop

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdoc1 View Post
I just put a skid plate on my 2009 xt250 from Ricochet and it fits well. However, I notice a large increase in engine noise as I ride. It is almost as if I am hearing the gears "whining". It could be air flow? has anybody tried anything to reduce the noise? Maybe painting the top of the plate with some sort of car undercoat?

thanks dogdoc
That's pretty common with most bikes and metal skid plates (ie every bike I've had). Plastic and fiber plates do it a little too, but metal is the loudest. Nothing to worry about, you're just reflecting the sound that was going down back up where you hear it. Ride it a bit and you won't notice it...

Undercoat isn't needed and will add to the weight, but I've seen it done (mostly for cosmetic reasons). I've also seen folks put foam between the plate and frame thinking it helps with the noise but IMHO it's better for keeping debris out is all.
SprocketTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:46 AM   #198
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,061
dogdoc, I have the same skidplate and noticed the same issue. I've read about people placing bicycle intertube rubber on the frame rails to isolate the skid plate, but there is very little, if any touch-points on the frame rails on the XT250. Rubber washers between the small tubes that the bolts go through and the frame MIGHT help, but I doubt very much.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:10 AM   #199
greenwater
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdoc1 View Post

thanks dogdoc
I have the same skid plate on my xt. I painted the inside of the skid plate with car undercoating and it made it much quieter. Good luck
greenwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:24 AM   #200
The Cameraman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Hi Guys n Gals,

I used a self adhesive rudder tape, that's about 2mm thick and ran it the full length of the skid plate, in line with the frame and it worked wonders on reducing the noise levels.

Regards

Reggie
The Cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:55 AM   #201
aim2kill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
any one had good luck with color matched (just blue) hand guards? I am sick of breaking levers...

If you are ashamed to stand by your colors, you had better seek another flag. ~Author Unknown
aim2kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:20 AM   #202
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cameraman View Post
Hi Guys n Gals,

I used a self adhesive rudder tape, that's about 2mm thick and ran it the full length of the skid plate, in line with the frame and it worked wonders on reducing the noise levels.

Regards

Reggie
Reggie, what skidplate do you use? The Richochet one is different than most skidplates, it actually uses four bolt threw the existing tabs on the bottom of the frame, and unless I'm seeing it incorrectly, the skidplate only touches the frame at four small round standoffs, not along the frame rails like most other plates.

The tape could still help with noise some, but I don't think it will as much as with a traditional style skid plate.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 08-16-2011, 09:42 AM   #203
The Cameraman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
Reggie, what skidplate do you use? The Richochet one is different than most skidplates, it actually uses four bolt threw the existing tabs on the bottom of the frame, and unless I'm seeing it incorrectly, the skidplate only touches the frame at four small round standoffs, not along the frame rails like most other plates.

The tape could still help with noise some, but I don't think it will as much as with a traditional style skid plate.

Thanks,
Matt
Hi Matt,

I made my own from 5 bar checker plate and haven't seen the Richochet model.

Regards

Reggie
The Cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 04:23 PM   #204
Shawnuf
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Wink Updated pic of my 84 XT250

Here's a pic from 3 months ago, with the new rear tire, chain/sprockets, homemade muffler end cap, grips, and new tank stickers. I've been riding it to work a lot, going on errands, etc. It's great fun to ride, not bad for the price.
Attached Images

Shawnuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 05:51 PM   #205
sethro
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 811
Hello all

I am about to pull the trigger on a XT250, is there any difference between a 2011 and a 2012?
Thanks in advance
Sethro
Flagstaff AZ 928-600-6768
www.tecrehab.com
sethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:20 PM   #206
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Nope, the 2008+ models have no/no noticeable differences other than the color of the graphics on them.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:03 PM   #207
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,186
E-Start on a XT 250??

Over on TT, theres a guy who has put a SR 250 motor in a old style XT 250 Frame!! Lots of pictures. Enjoy!!
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:56 AM   #208
Exyzzy
n00b

Oddometer: 1
First Day of WABDR

Here's a picture of my XT250 (09) on the first day of our WABDR trip in July...

Name:  IMG_3435.jpg
Views: 2631
Size:  76.4 KB
Exyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:44 PM   #209
Rode2Nowhere
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED XT FAN View Post
Over on TT, theres a guy who has put a SR 250 motor in a old style XT 250 Frame!! Lots of pictures. Enjoy!!
Cool! Been thinking for a long time about doing that on my '81. How 'bout a link?
IBA #45896
Adirondack Tags
Rode2Nowhere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:03 PM   #210
bikeneil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
3 day trip

I just got back from a 3 day 900+ mile ride on the XT250. Left southern Ohio went to WV, Va, NC, Tenn. & Ky. Cool weather but had a good time. Here are a couple pics from Saturday around Mt. Rogers Va. Yes, Oct. 1st and snow.

bikeneil is offline   Reply With Quote