Oddometer: 4,345
His and hers.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:18 PM   #10383
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by sect8dr View Post
I just picked up a very nice 2004 DRZE yesterday, other than the can being gutted i think it is stock, (at least the airbox is) I picked it up in indiana and i found out when i got home that it is a california legal bike and does not have the fcr carb. Just wondering which upgrades i should look into first, it has a skid, trail tech equinox light, trail tech voyager, bigger tank, taller vortex bars, dunlop 756 tires, it has the baja designs street legal kit on it, going to look into luggage racks, and a new seat. any tips would be greatly appreciatted
Welcome man...we need pics!
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 06:24 PM   #10384
LockRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJxr View Post
Wow, very informative. Glad I didn't miss that post.
LockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:00 PM   #10385
LockRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Happy Labor Day Everyone.

Ride Safe.
LockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:22 PM   #10386
SuchesRider
Just Do It!

Oddometer: 1,716
I am thinking about replacing the stock carb on my 08 DRZ400S with the FCR 39 carb. I see that ThumperTalk sells a kit and was wondering if any of you all have had experience with it.... Any feedback appreciated.... Thanks. SR
Old 09-05-2011, 03:03 PM   #10387
jackpiner57
Moto-Racks.com

Oddometer: 1,667
Bike died on the trail

I was trail riding with a couple of friends Saturday and had just completed a VERY rocky section when all of a sudden the motor bogged and died. I went to re-start it and it ran for a few seconds and died again. I did this a few times and if I waited a few minutes it ran a little longer before dying. Then I decided to check for fuel flow from the petcock. Fuel flow was OK so I started looking elsewhere. I checked the vacuum hose and it seemed OK. I tapped the carb with a rock thinking that maybe the floats were hung up and cutting off fuel flow. I also took that little diaphragm out on the left side of the carb. When I removed the diaphragm cap, gas came out and I imagine it came from behind the diaphragm? Not sure. Thought maybe gas somehow got to the other side of the diaphragm and prevented it from working?

I put things back together and the bike started up and has been running fine ever since.

Anybody else had this happen to them?

It's a 2007 DR-Z400s completely stock with 9000mi. on it.

"I sort of realize there's a fundamental truth to our nature. Man must explore." -CMDR. David R. Scott

jackpiner57 screwed with this post 09-05-2011 at 03:09 PM
jackpiner57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 04:21 PM   #10388
ifixfords
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Laugh

New DRZ400E owner, just picked it up this weekend, bought it off Ebay classifieds. My former ride was a 1995 DR350, which I still love but will have to part with. Got the DRZ for the liquid cooling, and auto clutch. Only ridden it a little so far, but it is impressive. Auto clutch works great and power is awesome. this bike already has Corbin seat, full yoshimura exhaust with spark suppressor, and too many other add ons to list. Basically any thing I could think of to add has already been done. Guess I should shut up and ride, and I shall. Maybe see some of you at the Shenandoah 500.
ifixfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:08 PM   #10389
ifixfords
Gnarly Adventurer

My new to me dual sport DRZ

Here are some pictures.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stuandn...7627603060408/
Old 09-05-2011, 06:19 PM   #10390
-TRED-
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifixfords View Post
Nice bike. Do you know what kind of rack that is? I like the look and I'm in the market for one.

You might want a bigger tank, especially if your doing long distance in the Shenanoah.

I was going really fast until I crashed.....BRAAAAP!
-TRED- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:33 PM   #10391
Bokononist

Oddometer: 16,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchesRider View Post
I am thinking about replacing the stock carb on my 08 DRZ400S with the FCR 39 carb. I see that ThumperTalk sells a kit and was wondering if any of you all have had experience with it.... Any feedback appreciated.... Thanks. SR

Best place to buy it IMHO. Installed mine no problems at all.
Very happy with it.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:13 PM   #10392
ifixfords
Gnarly Adventurer

Not sure what kind of rack it is, but I will check with the guy I bought it from and see if he knows. And yes I will be looking into a larger tank, thanks for the advice.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:12 PM   #10393
Naq
Kitsune

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpiner57 View Post
I was trail riding with a couple of friends Saturday and had just completed a VERY rocky section when all of a sudden the motor bogged and died. I went to re-start it and it ran for a few seconds and died again. I did this a few times and if I waited a few minutes it ran a little longer before dying. Then I decided to check for fuel flow from the petcock. Fuel flow was OK so I started looking elsewhere. I checked the vacuum hose and it seemed OK. I tapped the carb with a rock thinking that maybe the floats were hung up and cutting off fuel flow. I also took that little diaphragm out on the left side of the carb. When I removed the diaphragm cap, gas came out and I imagine it came from behind the diaphragm? Not sure. Thought maybe gas somehow got to the other side of the diaphragm and prevented it from working?

I put things back together and the bike started up and has been running fine ever since.

Anybody else had this happen to them?

It's a 2007 DR-Z400s completely stock with 9000mi. on it.
You weren't using enough fuel on the slow rocky section and it flooded. Turn the idle mixture screw the whole way in and if enough fuel is getting by the float needle valve it will still idle because the fuel level is too high in the bowl and you will know there is a problem.

If it wasn't just a temporary problem, make sure the petcock doesn't leak when the bike is off. Check the float level, valve needle, needle seat, and needle seat o-ring. Some searching will give details since it is a common issue.

'02 FZ1, '02 DRZ400S, '09 TE250
Naq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:17 PM   #10394
BugsyGS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
DRZ 400s temp light issue!

Just picked up a 2004 DRZ 400s in mint condition with 4,500 miles on it. Riding it home and after about 20 miles the temp light started flickering and came on. I let the bike cool off and rode another 8 miles and it came on again. The rad fan never came on and once it cooled off I checked the coolant and it was full. What gives? I brought the bike home in the back of my truck! Starts and runs great..not a scratch on it. Any help would be appreciated.......
BugsyGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:38 PM   #10395
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naq View Post
You weren't using enough fuel on the slow rocky section and it flooded. Turn the idle mixture screw the whole way in and if enough fuel is getting by the float needle valve it will still idle because the fuel level is too high in the bowl and you will know there is a problem.

If it wasn't just a temporary problem, make sure the petcock doesn't leak when the bike is off. Check the float level, valve needle, needle seat, and needle seat o-ring. Some searching will give details since it is a common issue.
I bought one of these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_W0QQ...KQ3aMEWNXQ3aIT

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009935
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote