User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-27-2005, 11:06 AM   #31
Kingsqueak
Wannabe

Oddometer: 820
Lowrance iFinder H20 Plus, there are many like it, but this one is mine.

Bang for the buck, this one is expandable with generic SD memory cards, includes the mapping software, has a very crisp readable greyscale screen, waterproof/submersible . If you are looking for best bang for the buck in a handheld, I highly recommend considering it.

My main requirements were for a detailed map and a track log. Routes were secondary and autorouting...though cool, not that big of a deal to me. I also needed a memory card option so I would have the flexibility to change maps or detail level of coverage areas.

I also sea kayak and needed map software with halfway decent marine detail without wanting to pay for another software package.

I can get very close to ME to FL with max detail, topo, marine nav, points of interest etc. on a 512MB SD card.

Pros

Handhelds are more easily portable/transportable and of course can be used handheld as they have their own batteries.

If you are big enough of a nerd, you may be surprised at how amusing they can be. I wind up doing things like figuring out the speed of my commuter ferry or train and generally fidgeting around the map to find out what various things are around me. You can't do this with a unit that needs to be wired to power.

Cons

Most any handheld, IMO, pretty small screens to consider reading while operating a vehicle. I have a hard time trying to read mine even in my truck. I can use the speed indicator and things like that, but trying to read street names is pretty much out of the question.

If you don't have the budget limitations I set, the Garmin 176/276, Lowrance iWay 500 and other similar sized units will be lots more readable. Also they have much better features designed to guide a rider/driver along a route while operating a vehicle. From voice prompting to the text boxes shown in the pics above.

For less than half the cost of the bigger units, I'm more than happy with my choice. Do I drool over the iWay 500, you bet. Would I really make use of it to get return on the cost? For me, no.
Kingsqueak is offline   Reply With Quote