Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2011, 09:17 AM   #31
gec343
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
I am switching from an ST1300A to a Burgman Executive for long range touring. Any high mileage Burgman's out there? I'm wondering about high mileage reliability??

2010 Gold Wing/ABS
1977 R100/7 (bought new)
gec343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:12 AM   #32
Tacoma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
The Tmax is more stable at long highway speeds cause of the larger wheels and tires, and the larger tires matched with the suspension can handle the rough roads better than a Burgman, but the advantage the Burgman has is it can handle a passenger riding on the back better than the Tmax.
The York scooter club won't let me join because I own a Tmax, but at the same time they allow Kymco's, Honda Gold Wings and even a few Kawasaki crotch rockets!

I feel like singing a song:
I am soooo alone with my Tmax
alone is where I will always beeee!
I ride the lonely road with just my Tmax and meee!
Alone
Alone
Alone is where I will always be
Tacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:38 PM   #33
Sly-one
Deskbound Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
The York scooter club won't let me join because I own a Tmax, but at the same time they allow Kymco's, Honda Gold Wings and even a few Kawasaki crotch rockets!

I feel like singing a song:
I am soooo alone with my Tmax
alone is where I will always beeee!
I ride the lonely road with just my Tmax and meee!
Alone
Alone
Alone is where I will always be
Sly-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:50 PM   #34
nuke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by gec343 View Post
I am switching from an ST1300A to a Burgman Executive for long range touring. Any high mileage Burgman's out there? I'm wondering about high mileage reliability??
Tons of info at the burgmanusa.com forums.

The bike is generally reliable. Most people have few problems with it. Some things can be very expensive to fix, like a major CVT problem. However, such issues are rare. Mostly just standard maintenance of tires and fluids, battery and a couple of little Burgman quirks here and there.

2009 Suzuki Burgman 650
Matches my purse.
nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:54 PM   #35
ferrix
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
The York scooter club won't let me join because I own a Tmax
Why, they don't think Tmax is a scooter? What do they think it is then?!?
ferrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:24 AM   #36
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by btcn View Post
Thats pretty good for a 400! I'd been told the 400 tops out at like 85-90 MPH on GPS on here before and won't get near 100 MPH. But maybe it can?
Don't know, I traded the 2007 Burgman in on a new 2009 BV 500 since I found that the maxi scoot/cruiser position really doesn't suit me or my husband very well. We both prefer the more upright sitting position and easier to change positions for bottom and feet on the Italian style but I had no doubt I could have gone over 100 on it. I have on the BV but it gets a little head wobble around that speed that I don't like so I try to keep it closer to 80 than 100 but many of the roads we ride are 60-70 and I do not want a speeding ticket so reserve the higher speeds for passing when they'll usually forgive you if they catch you.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 03:53 PM   #37
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwise View Post
Don't know, I traded the 2007 Burgman in on a new 2009 BV 500 since I found that the maxi scoot/cruiser position really doesn't suit me or my husband very well. We both prefer the more upright sitting position and easier to change positions for bottom and feet on the Italian style but I had no doubt I could have gone over 100 on it. I have on the BV but it gets a little head wobble around that speed that I don't like so I try to keep it closer to 80 than 100 but many of the roads we ride are 60-70 and I do not want a speeding ticket so reserve the higher speeds for passing when they'll usually forgive you if they catch you.

Hmm, that makes it sound better. You should be able to get 100 MPH out of a 400 cc motor.
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 04:05 AM   #38
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,633
Definitely the suspension, and seat, could do with improvement.

The good news is that there's fine weather protection and 55ltr space under the seat. Add on a Topcase, or a trailer, and you can carry more luggage:

Google for Images with the "Suzuki Burgman and trailer" search term. I've been slack and havn't yet uploaded my webpage & pics to my present ISP, but two versions of my own trailer are on show through Google itself --- just don't try to go to the source at this stage.

(NB. I now have a Topcase and my trailer is awaiting its next make-over.)
Old 09-07-2011, 01:41 AM   #39
Macadam Drifter
Explorer of the Backroads

Oddometer: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by vortexau View Post
Definitely the suspension, and seat, could do with improvement.

The good news is that there's fine weather protection and 55ltr space under the seat. Add on a Topcase, or a trailer, and you can carry more luggage:

Google for Images with the "Suzuki Burgman and trailer" search term. I've been slack and havn't yet uploaded my webpage & pics to my present ISP, but two versions of my own trailer are on show through Google itself --- just don't try to go to the source at this stage.

(NB. I now have a Topcase and my trailer is awaiting its next make-over.)
I may be heading in that direction myself.

Checking out a 650 Burgie this week.

I plan to add a trailer hitch and this trailer eventually.

If a 200cc bike can pull this trailer over the Rocky Mountains then the Burgie should.

Macadam Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:50 PM   #40
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcn View Post
Hmm, that makes it sound better. You should be able to get 100 MPH out of a 400 cc motor.

One may think so, but the power delivery from various 400cc engines can vary quite markedly.

Care to match up a Honda VT400 Shadow against a . . . . XJR400R (not to mention against a well-maintained '80s CB400-Four)
Old 09-10-2011, 07:03 PM   #41
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macadam Drifter View Post
I may be heading in that direction myself.

Checking out a 650 Burgie this week.

I plan to add a trailer hitch and this trailer eventually.

If a 200cc bike can pull this trailer over the Rocky Mountains then the Burgie should.
Some people don't let engine size stand in their way . . . . but, as stated, one should be practical as to just how much to attach:

But, as decided . . . . 650cc and 54hp gives one a good reserve of power. A well-designed hitch connected to a well-matched trailer and "you're laughing" . . . . (Ossie slang term for "satisfied")
Old 03-23-2013, 06:10 PM   #42
Bama Gringo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
iv toured on burgman 650's since 2008. i went to 10 states on my 2007 and 2006 standard models. right now i have a 2012 executive. iv had 12 bikes since 2008. iv since sold them all and kept this new burgman. its the perfect mid size touring machine. tons of storage space plus i have a top box. tons of wind protection. the windscreen is electric. its a pleasure to ride.

in 2011 suzuki made a change to the cvt primary housing. it supposed to fix a rare problem that few burgman owners had of the cvt stopper bolt shearing off. i personally never knew of any one having that problem. i never had a minutes trouble from any of my burgmans .

only negative is it goes thru rear tires fast. probably not gonna get much more than 7k out of one.
Bama Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:26 PM   #43
gec343
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by los gringo View Post
iv toured on burgman 650's since 2008. i went to 10 states on my 2007 and 2006 standard models. right now i have a 2012 executive. iv had 12 bikes since 2008. iv since sold them all and kept this new burgman. its the perfect mid size touring machine. tons of storage space plus i have a top box. tons of wind protection. the windscreen is electric. its a pleasure to ride.

in 2011 suzuki made a change to the cvt primary housing. it supposed to fix a rare problem that few burgman owners had of the cvt stopper bolt shearing off. i personally never knew of any one having that problem. i never had a minutes trouble from any of my burgmans .

only negative is it goes thru rear tires fast. probably not gonna get much more than 7k out of one.
Thanks much for your input, Los gringo. I needed to hear that, since I'll probably be switching from my Gold Wing to a Burgman Executive in a year or two. I sure hope Suzuki stays in business, and avoids total bankruptcy, but as you probably know, they are having difficulties.

2010 Gold Wing/ABS
1977 R100/7 (bought new)
gec343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:15 PM   #44
Bama Gringo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by gec343 View Post
Thanks much for your input, Los gringo. I needed to hear that, since I'll probably be switching from my Gold Wing to a Burgman Executive in a year or two. I sure hope Suzuki stays in business, and avoids total bankruptcy, but as you probably know, they are having difficulties.
yeah they will be in business. they are cutting some dealers to give other dealers larger markets. sucks for customers to have to drive further though.
Bama Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:35 PM   #45
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by los gringo View Post
yeah they will be in business. they are cutting some dealers to give other dealers larger markets. sucks for customers to have to drive further though.
With the exception of Harley this seems to be a trend, although I've seen a few new BMW dealers in the last year.