Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2011, 07:24 AM   #76
Jake
crustacean

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo3Niner View Post
So after much discussion with the pillion, looks like we're going with the Sprint,, unless the Motus is not outrageously priced...

The other bikes didn't do it for her, after much discussion.
Did you by chance make it back to the Ducati dealer? You have been fairly consistent in this thread that you wanted something altogether different than your VFR, but have come full circle and are essentially back home where you started with the Sprint GT. Great choice, however, and one my wife and I are strongly considering. We found the Multi a better fit and more connected than the GT, as we essentially sit at the same angle on the Duc. On the GT she felt more upright with me having a forward lean. It wasn't so much as to leave her feeling overly exposed, but after years on an RT, she likes to stay close.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:47 AM   #77
Echo3Niner OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
Did you ride the Rocket III?
Decided that except for maybe the Diavel, all cruisers have their pegs too far forward for me to feel comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Did you by chance make it back to the Ducati dealer? You have been fairly consistent in this thread that you wanted something altogether different than your VFR, but have come full circle and are essentially back home where you started with the Sprint GT. Great choice, however, and one my wife and I are strongly considering. We found the Multi a better fit and more connected than the GT, as we essentially sit at the same angle on the Duc. On the GT she felt more upright with me having a forward lean. It wasn't so much as to leave her feeling overly exposed, but after years on an RT, she likes to stay close.
No we haven't, and we did note that the Multi's seat was only an inch higher than my Daytona's, so shouldn't be such a big deal. We still plan to go to the Duc dealer and take a look at some point; but, as she and I talked, she made some good points about the Sprint vs. the Multi, basically that they were so very close in many ways, yet the Duc was $6 grand more.

As I said before, this purchase will be NEXT spring/summer, so we still have time. But at least we have it down to a couple bikes now... Basically it's the Sprint vs. the Multi; unless the Motus is competitively priced, then we'll look at that too.

Thanks to everyone on this thread by the way, your input has helped us narrow down the list.
“Reveal to us the metal of thy character; suffer the courage of thy convictions.”
Echo3Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:24 PM   #78
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Oddometer: 3,204
Some of you guys really don't like your wife or gf, and really don't want her to come with.

I have enjoyed my travels just the two of us. She has been a great riding partner. I wouldn't dream of sticking her on some little cramped bike.

foreign lands and alien birds, hear stories that no ones heard-D.A.D.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Zerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:41 AM   #79
Echo3Niner OP
Adventurer

Interestingly, tonight I was looking for new pricing info on the Motus, and found this report:

http://www.cycleworld.com/motorcycle...omparison_test

Kinda supports our decision...
“Reveal to us the metal of thy character; suffer the courage of thy convictions.”
Old 07-31-2011, 09:11 AM   #80
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo3Niner View Post
Hey thanks for the link, I'd not seen that piece. They seem to have told it as they saw it. The Kaw GTR14 came across particularly well, tho obviously aimed more at longer trips.

The Triumph certainly seems to have a lot of your bases covered, and at a good price. I've just re-read the Kevin Ash review from around the time this one launched, and he sounded very impressed.

(Pic above from the Ash piece, more there.)

The Duc might not have dominated at the drag strip - with that self-servo clutch it must be a nightmare to launch - but it certainly killed 'em in 60-80mph top-gear roll-ons, tall gearing notwithstanding, acc to those Cycle World specs (bottom of linked page). That motor really kicks.

You've not expressed any interest in the Guzzis. Do these not grab you?

I suppose, with the weight and that 32 Litre tank, they are too much on the touring side. Guzzi character and that fuel range appeals to me, tho.
Moronic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:03 PM   #81
Echo3Niner OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
Hey thanks for the link, I'd not seen that piece. They seem to have told it as they saw it. The Kaw GTR14 came across particularly well, tho obviously aimed more at longer trips.

The Triumph certainly seems to have a lot of your bases covered, and at a good price. I've just re-read the Kevin Ash review from around the time this one launched, and he sounded very impressed.

You've not expressed any interest in the Guzzis. Do these not grab you?

I suppose, with the weight and that 32 Litre tank, they are too much on the touring side. Guzzi character and that fuel range appeals to me, tho.
Actually, I hadn't looked closely at the Stelvio 1200 ABS or the Norge (either of them) until today; interesting bikes. We may have to find a dealer in the area and see what they've got in stock...
Old 09-07-2011, 05:23 PM   #82
WAP
Weekday Warrior

Oddometer: 991
The Multistrada was too tall for me as well, also 5'9 and ~30 inseam. Have you considered the 990 SMT? I sat on one a few weekends ago and it's really nice. My 5'10 gf thought highly of the seat and the legroom. I'm holding out for a test ride before committing to it.
WAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:57 PM   #83
Echo3Niner OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAP View Post
The Multistrada was too tall for me as well, also 5'9 and ~30 inseam. Have you considered the 990 SMT? I sat on one a few weekends ago and it's really nice. My 5'10 gf thought highly of the seat and the legroom. I'm holding out for a test ride before committing to it.
Yes, after someone on here mentioned it, I did look at them. They are interesting, and I plan on taking a look at some point.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:10 AM   #84
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Passenger?

Hard to beat this. My wife -- who barely tolerated riding on the back of even 'standard' motorbikes -- simply loves riding on this.

She controls the choice of music and volume...and she likes the seat comfort a bit better than a Gold Wing...and she definitely digs that Harley low-level vibe at idle. And space isn't much of an issue. Pic here has my removable backrest on and my airhawk. Both awesome addons for 900 mile days.

You should give it a try. It's no Monster, but it handles much better in the twisties than you might think.

cakeeater
Attached Images

Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:58 AM   #85
WAP
Weekday Warrior

Oddometer: 991
WAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:49 PM   #86
Echo3Niner OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeeater View Post
Passenger?

Hard to beat this. My wife -- who barely tolerated riding on the back of even 'standard' motorbikes -- simply loves riding on this.

She controls the choice of music and volume...and she likes the seat comfort a bit better than a Gold Wing...and she definitely digs that Harley low-level vibe at idle. And space isn't much of an issue. Pic here has my removable backrest on and my airhawk. Both awesome addons for 900 mile days.

You should give it a try. It's no Monster, but it handles much better in the twisties than you might think.

cakeeater
I appreciate the thought, but you must've missed the beginning of this thread... No full bagger for me, sorry.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:29 PM   #87
Echo3Niner OP
Adventurer

So, waiting has it's benefits; since we're still not buying until next spring, we'll have to see the stats on the new Tiger Explorer...

http://www.onewheeldrive.net/2011/10...er-and-others/
Old 10-30-2011, 06:25 PM   #88
gastone
R.I.P. sweet Angus

Oddometer: 2,115
Mortons had a nicely setup stelvio on the floor recently. they are great about test rides there.
VAC
You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty...
gastone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:02 PM   #89
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeeater View Post
Passenger?

cakeeater
Too bad HD is recalling over 300,000 bikes, most touring models since 2009.

HD recalls
Old 10-31-2011, 07:54 AM   #90
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020 View Post
Too bad HD is recalling over 300,000 bikes, most touring models since 2009.

HD recalls
Good point Cat. I take it all back. It's a lousy pillion bike.
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote